PDA

View Full Version : This site is now a Joke..

oldschool
08-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Anytime someone posts something that is controversial towards the track or a certain drivers, it's deleted or closed. If you're so quick to state something is a rumor without facts and sources, why don't you prove it with your facts and sources. Not saying I want to see the track closed, but everything has a price on it. There is a lot more going on out there than you guys know (JA,WJ).

unowho243
08-30-2006, 12:28 PM
No oldschool, most of the time they're right about what they're doing because whenever people post stupid rumors on this board, the people who run this site get heat from the track about it, because most of the time it's all bull. I mean come on, you guys all jump to conclusions all of the time. If there's one rock moved in the parking lot, everyone says omg, Riverhead is closing. I myself do not know how long the track will be open, I hope it' for a long time, but if all of you keep bickering about stupid crap, it will be sooner than later.

vsmidge68
08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I think to say this sight is a joke is not very nice. For the most part the people who go on here have valid opinions. There are times when posts get crazy or down right nasty, those are the ones that need to be closed. I am 38 years old and Riverhead has been "being sold" since I was 4 years old sitting in the stands. Sometimes people just plain don't want to hear it anymore. I have stated my opinion here many times and I know I'm not always agreeable, but where else could I do it?? I think if you want to know the answers to certain questions and you want it " straight from the horse's mouth" then ask the Cromerty's. They go to the track don't they? Before I forget....JMO :wave:

Bobby Pease
08-30-2006, 02:43 PM
If you think this site is a JOKE, and are not happy with the way things are done.... Dont come to the site... Simple..

Have a great day...
Bobby Pease

LongIslandJam
08-30-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry that you feel that way oldschool,

The goal of these forums is to discuss and get to the truth, not to speculate per se.

I am always open to discussion about our forums, feel free to e-mail me at jackley@longislandjam.com or call me (516) 330-9737. A few have e-mailed me and called me and we have gotten an understanding. I can't say everyone will be happy, but at least we can come to terms with how the forums are run. As I say, it's the racing community's forums, and all I do is moderate it.

I can give you a summary of threads that I've closed in the past few weeks with reasonings.

* Track status for 2007 - Opening day has already been clarified as the first Saturday in May, as well as Old Timer's Day for next year. With two key dates on the table, I feel that Riverhead will be open in 2007. Beyond that who knows, everything is mortal. One thing that hurts tracks is speculation about their status. Every track in the Northeast has some sort of rumor circulating around it about its demise. Local short track racing is becoming an endangered species in the country. Let's not hurt local tracks by spreading rumors, but let's strengthen them by bringing people to them. You may have issues with Riverhead, so go and support another local short track. ALL short tracks could use some help.

* Charger rules - Chargers had issues in tech two Saturdays ago. They had two issues - one being messing with lower A frames (strictly a no no) and the other being messing with crossmembers (another no no, and I don't mean just notching them for engine clearance). The Riverhead Charger rule book is clear on lower A frames and is clear on changing crossmembers. The tech guys had the courtesy of answering my questions on this issue and I'm sure they will have the same courtesy of answering yours. Discussing this had no bearing, because its up to the teams to discuss this with the officials on how they want to precede on solving the rules discrepensy.

Moderating forums takes a considerable amount of balance. I've heard it from all sides that we are biased, but in fact we are not. Our goal is to promote racing, discuss the issues, and present the sport in a positive manner for more sponsors to get involved and keep it alive. Every driver out there at one time has been discussed in a negative light (every driver has a bad day, no one's perfect). Likewise, every driver sees a positive light when they do something good. My mission is to present both sides of the story and let you guys decide.

If we do all that I mentioned, I feel we're doing a good job. But like I said, you're always welcome to disagree with me and my contact info is listed above.

Jaws
08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
I agree if we can't post posters what good is this site!! lol (: :wave:

Just kidding, this is a tough job and you can't please everyone all the time.

LongIslandJam
08-30-2006, 03:52 PM
LOL, hey i posted the censored one;) :lol: :p :drool:

Kept the private one for my personal collection ;)

It's all about the fun too!

good2go1963
08-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Rather then speculate about all that's going on that we don't know about, how about doing what JA said and support local short tracks? Everything in life comes with a price or an issue, whether it be our jobs, our hobbies or even our family and friends. We either deal with the issues or we don't. Racing at Riverhead and sharing our thoughts and feelings on this sight is a privilege. Maybe we aren't always happy with the way things are run or things that happen but the privilege is there is still a track out on the Island that we can all go to and many areas don't have that privilege anymore. They have to drive 4 hours just to race and they may not have people who care enough about the areas racing to moderate a web site for them to come to. I am now living nearly 700 miles away in NC. There are about 20 tracks within an hour of me, but nothing will take the place of my family from Riverhead Raceway. If you go to a different track, yes you will meet new people and some may become good friends, but the family of people we have that frequent that track all stick together in good times and bad, and that is more important than any rumors or track issue going on. Also, check out the web sites for my area down here, there aren't too many that I have found that have people who have the time or the patience to give them a web and a forum like the Jam. So I have to agree with the post above, if you aren't happy with the Jam, don't be a part of it and if you aren't happy with Riverhead, then go elsewhere, but please don't bash the people who are taking their time to bring us this site or the track that brings us together every week. :confused:

RGeeProductions
08-30-2006, 06:35 PM
I think to say this sight is a joke is not very nice. For the most part the people who go on here have valid opinions. There are times when posts get crazy or down right nasty, those are the ones that need to be closed. I am 38 years old and Riverhead has been "being sold" since I was 4 years old sitting in the stands. Sometimes people just plain don't want to hear it anymore. I have stated my opinion here many times and I know I'm not always agreeable, but where else could I do it?? I think if you want to know the answers to certain questions and you want it " straight from the horse's mouth" then ask the Cromerty's. They go to the track don't they? Before I forget....JMO :wave:
Thank you!!! Saved me posting my thoughts!!! LOL
And I wonder what "There is a lot more going on out there than you guys know" means?!?!?!

rabbid1
08-30-2006, 06:36 PM
This site rocks! A lot of good people put a lot of hard work into this site. We all know that everyone is trying to grab the land the track sits on. I'm sure the Cromarty's have been offered a pretty penny time and time again. We should be grateful that they have stayed true. The only way the track will continue to operate is with our support. So spread the word, get fannys in the stands. Long live Long Island's track !!!!

jimmy'z
08-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah this site is way overmodded :rolleyes:, but overall it's one of the most decent ones out there compared to some really craptacular boards that I no longer visit because of a lack of moderation.

W. J.
08-30-2006, 10:35 PM
There is a lot more going on out there than you guys know (JA,WJ).
You'd be surprised what we know. We hear it from the same places the rest of you do, but if it can't be substantiated as a fact, we'd rather not have it speculated to death, which is what would happen if we never policed the site. It has happened before, and we do our best to see that it doesn't happen too often. Better a positive spin on the truth, than some of the negative rumors that circulate out in cyber space, mostly based on what someone thought they heard, or on a totally ficticious story someone made up just because they wanted to see what would happen with it.
We do our best to get our race fans the true information they crave. Rantings belong elsewhere, not here.

oldschool
08-30-2006, 10:56 PM
I'll change my statement, the site is put together very well and informative. I just feel you guys police the forum way too much.

tstiles
08-30-2006, 10:58 PM
no haters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

LongIslandJam
08-30-2006, 11:44 PM
I can respect that old school,

Policing the forums is not an easy chore. No matter what, we will not make everyone happy. Some will say its policed too much, some will say too little. And yes, it can be about the most mundane things such as a joke.

We will try to be a little more lenient on some things, but I will take a strong stance to anything that can be corrected via the truth.

allhailunc
08-31-2006, 05:27 AM
Personally, I think Walt & Belly Bombers do an awesome job here (not too sure bout that pikcher takin fool RG though :lol: ). One thing one must realize they tread a fine line with both management & posters so when a topic(food/drink-LOL) starts to get out of hand, they must decide whether or not to close it. I have seen some subjects closed rather abruptly, but then again, I've seen some go on until they beat a dead horse. Big brother does watch this board in many ways/shapes/forms, so subject matter can become hazardous to one's health (if you catch my meaning) and these great guys have to collectively come to a decision as to whether or not to close. Guys, keep up the good work and keep RG away from that infield pizza-he gets it all over the camera. :lol:

racerwife
08-31-2006, 12:01 PM
JA & WJ,

I for one am glad you put in the info that opening day has been set for 2007. I hadn't heard it as official yet. At least we know that the money and laborous time spent fixing our race car will still give us a local track to be able to participate at. You are right that there are always things that can be improved upon in all business ventures. This track is certainly that, as are all race tracks. I'm just glad that they will open. We can work on the other issues and bring them to the attention of those that can and maybe will do something about them.
As for those that like to bash Riverhead....you are free to go wherever you want. Enjoy driving hours there and home to see the races. At least here you are home within a reasonable amount of time after the races conclude, your gas tank isn't needing to be re-filled to get home, and if you are courteous enough to consider other people on the road...you can continue your drinking at your home without now also having to designate a driver. DWI and its results are nasty, just read the paper for the proof!!!
I realize you can't please everyone no matter what you try...but thanks for the racing season and we will be back to race soon and will return for next years season!!!
Oh and by the way... yes, both JA & WJ are privy to a lot of rumors and facts concerning Riverhead and its race teams. They just show good judgement in not spilling their guts before the time is right. Have you ever really spoken to them; discretion is an understatement. I'm sure they must bite their tongues and fingers many times with what they do know.

Richie
08-31-2006, 07:29 PM
I think you guys better check out that "38 yrs old" rumor. I figured more like 48 - 50. ;>)

vsmidge68
09-01-2006, 05:32 AM
OMG Wait until I tell my bath & body rep that my Anti-aging potions aren't working!!! lol :wave:

W. J.
09-01-2006, 11:48 PM
I will add only one thing to the above. We have been told by some people that their young children like to read this forum,and we must keep that in mind when considering what goes, what stays, and what gets 'edited'. That might give some a different outlook about the policing we do. As always, we will address specific concerns emailed to us. It is not our policy or desire to make anyone unhappy for no good reason.

Jaws
09-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Hey WJ, how about a password protected "Adults Only" forum :)

Drinking and smoking allowed!!!!

W. J.
09-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Jaws, that question can only be answered by the boss, JA. I can't even tell you if it's possible or not (tech-wise), but I would have no problem with it, since it would lighten my work load, LOL! :)

Remember one thing everyone: we can't make everyone happy all the time, we can only do the best we can with what we have to work with to help everyone as best we can.

One other thing. Any post I decide to close, JA can (and has) open again if he doesn't agree. It's his final decision, even after my judgment call, since he is the owner and operator of this site. We seldom disagree, since we constantly discuss various issues and standards for the site and forum. All of our veteran posters understand that the main mission is to exchange ideas amongst ourselves and for the betterment of the sport of racing. If there is any disagreement, we can be contacted with any reasonable requests or questions at the email links that are part of our signatures. All will be answered.

LongIslandJam
09-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I can setup a section where only adults over 18 are allowed. No password needed, just got to designate what "group" folks are in.

If that's what you guys want, let me know. Could be called the Jam Bar :-B

unowho243
09-02-2006, 11:45 AM
sounds like a plan to me :applause:

Jaws
09-02-2006, 12:35 PM
LOL, I was just kidding.

But OK if you want!!

Call it LI Jam after Dark!!

Come on down, drinking :cheers: and smoking :cool: allowed no bad language :mad: and no Posters!!