PDA

View Full Version : Yaphank Site

Rich Mergl
09-04-2006, 01:14 PM
The Site Committee had a meeting Aug 21st, Anyone heard anything?

CIN
09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
The committee is still ironing out what they are going to send to the Legislator's & Levy.

CIN

Tower Man
09-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Smoke and mirrors...

CIN
09-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Black smoke & many cracked mirrors....and the smoke smells.... :mad:

W. J.
09-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Sounds like we are going to get "politicized". Anybody have some extra butter??? :mad:

Rich Mergl
09-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Tower Man
If you are who I think you are, I hope you are feeling better.
Sent letters to Levy, Browning,Bishop around the 20th of august haven`t
got one reply but still keeping my fingers crossed.

deathwishracin1
09-06-2006, 08:05 PM
I received a response from Mr. Levy:
Dear Mr. Savoy:

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding land use in Yaphank. The thoughts and concerns of all constituents are of the utmost importance to me. I will bear your suggestions in mind. The Top Gun recreational facility is one of several proposals under consideration for the county owned land in Yaphank, as is a proposal to construct up to 1,000 affordable houses. While all proposals for this property are under consideration, it is expected the parcel will be divided for multiple uses, which may include affordable housing.

Please feel free to contact my office in the future if I may be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Steve Levy

The Bullfather
09-06-2006, 09:09 PM
This friggin stinks(no thanks for the editing but I used the word sux, instead of stinks because of how I feel!!!!), plain and simple! All I hear is afforable housing, this property is already been decided what it will be as money goes in Levy's pocket. It's bull!!! In a return letter all he can say is affordable housing will most likely be it's final project of the site.

While all proposals for this property are under consideration, it is expected the parcel will be divided for multiple uses, which may include affordable housing.

Please feel free to contact my office in the future if I may be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Steve Levy

Tower Man
09-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks Rich and yes I am. Keep the faith here with the Yaphank property. It isn't over until it's over. Let's face it, we are the minority here and affordable housing is more politically correct than a sports complex with race cars.

Too bad, I think it could have worked. But I'm hoping...

The Bullfather
09-06-2006, 09:42 PM
He doesn't want a sport complex, because it doesn't line his pockets as a developer will! He doesn't care about the local business and the money it will draw and the jobs it will provide! It's not about the community and what it needs, everyone knows the school districts can't hold hundreds of more of students through the doors. It's all bull, I can't stand and stomach most political people in power. The ones that serve good get crapped and the ones who do a crappy job get praised. RIDICULOUS! If that letter doesn't tick you off........................you get the point! :mad:

Rich Mergl
09-07-2006, 07:09 AM
Hope you sent some letters, You have great points as I did.
I would put my letter on the site but its just to darn long.

CIN
09-07-2006, 08:20 AM
"Form Letter" everyone and anyone who sends him a letter, receives the same response.

Anyone interested, today - Sept 7th at 3PM - the committee is meeting again - 4th floor planning department of the H.L. Dennison building. Just make sure you bring something to calm your stomach down, it gets pretty nerve wracking listening to all of them.

CIN

randomrodder
09-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Bottom line. Affordable housing is PC. A racing complex is NOT.
Now if it were a minor league baseball stadium I bet that would fly.
Racing, as in hot rodding, (of which I am a part of) has always been frowned upon by those in "power".
In the last few years NASCAR CUP racing has risen through the ranks. Local and minor league, for lack of a better term, is not deemed as an asset to the community.
Let the slamming begin, the truth is the truth. there isn't one politican with the cajones to stand up for this project, fear of losing votes by the "normal" people will put a stop to that. I mean, who needs low life voters? That is how they see us.
On the other hand, Cup racing is another thing. All those NASCAR Dads and Moms. 120,000 strong on an average can make a politican jump through hoops.
Sorry troops, we are small bananas.

allhailunc
09-08-2006, 05:20 AM
Remember this - many people are leaving the island because they can no longer afford to live here, so what is so wrong with the prospect of affordable housing? Sure, the racing community is only a small proportion of the population, but enough "fans" leave the area and you won't even have racing at Riverhead. Just count your blessings now and hope that, maybe, just maybe, the powers that be will see it through to dole out the property in a good manner for all. ;)

The Bullfather
09-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Afforable housing isn't going to keep people here, taxes and other utilities has and will continue to drive people away. It expensive to live on Long Island, it's expensive to live in most northeast states, but prices keep expanding and wages just don't measure out! All Yapank need an area that will most likely go to pot in the future.

Jaws
09-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Oh boy, I can hear the fat lady singing.

Developers have a lot of $ and contribute lots of $$$ to the politicians. If racing somehow was putting money into the campaigns of the politicians the answer would be different.

Its not about the people, its about the money.

Better support what we have before its gone.

debbie33
09-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I am not 100% sure where the land is located but isn't it right near the jail and the Grucci fire work plant? If it is, as a Licensed Real Estate Broker I would have a hard time showing houses located there to prospects (buyers). Who would I sell these houses to? Would you want to live that close to these places if I am correct about the location? I have a hard enough time selling houses on busy streets, near rail road tracks, and close to busy shopping centers because of the noise. Plus the housing market totally sucks right now it is so slow in my office people are not buying right now. So who will buy these affordable houses? Sorry just me rambling on.
I think that affordable housing is needed on Long Island but in turn Long Island then has to be affordable to live on.

The Bullfather
09-08-2006, 11:04 AM
which it won"t be, how many houses are on the market? Look at there price range, it's crazy! Let's sell the house we have first. Then there is the mortgage rates!

CIN
09-08-2006, 11:22 AM
First off, what is being proposed is not "houses". What is being proposed is Studio's and 1 & 2 bedroom condo/apartments...(most of the developer's that I spoke to are also proposing the starting prices at $229,000, this could change depending on the County). Some of these might be above store fronts. My question to the committee was besides the asking price for these units, what would the maintenance/taxes be? Those charges could make these units totally UN-affordable. Not one developer I spoke to proposed rentals.
Also, companies like Northrop-Gruman, Brookhaven Hospital, Dowling College, Brookhaven National Lab, are looking to have first dibs on these places for their people...Also mentioned, was the fact that Yaphank residents would have the first dib on these units...I, for one, find this totally wrong, since this property is Suffolk County owned land, not Yaphank, and not these other companies...it was paid for with All Suffolk Tax Payer money...Are we subsidizing only a few?
Some other ideas floating around this committee are: something like a local YMCA, Local ball fields, an arena - which could only hold about 2,000 people (nothing that could have a decent seating capacity for a concert, or even a graduation for the likes of a Sachem or Longwood), and local stores.
The committee meetings are very nerve wracking. But their proposals still have to go to the Legislator's. For people that don't live around this area, I would question my local Legislator on why the committee is looking to only satisfy a few people and not the vast majority of Suffolk Tax payers.
Now as to where this property is and what is around it: Off the LIE exits 66/67: County Jail (which is going to be expanded), Grucci Fireworks (and possibly an asphalt plant), The Landfill (better known as the DUMP), Long Island Compost (smells worse than the DUMP) The County Farm, The County Nursing Home, Police Headquarters, Fire Mattic, High Tension Wires (which run right thru the property and where they would build the majority of Housing, if that is what happens; can you say "cancer clusters")
And with the amount of housing being proposed, the local school district would need to build additional schools - who is going to pay for that?????
Oh, and when originally proposed, the property was 433 acres, when the RFEI came out it was down to 250. Now the committee is proposing 180/190 and talking about keeping the rest for future County building.

Well, that is what I know for now...I'll keep everyone posted on information that is public....

And from me to everyone...we have Riverhead...let's support it or we'll end up like the Drag Racers, with nowhere to go!!!!!!

CIN