PDA

View Full Version : Make ups for 9-2

bulldozer
09-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Is Riverhead going to add a show for the Late Models and the Mods on the 16th??? Or is this week it?

RGeeProductions
09-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Seems that's it....according to Riverhead's site (http://www.riverheadraceway.com/rreye.html)...

DriveitinDeep
09-07-2006, 09:30 AM
That sucks.

outlawfab
09-07-2006, 10:20 AM
It would be nice to have 2 more races, but that's not going to happen, so we will have a 12 race CHAMPION. THAT SUCKS! :disgusted

W. J.
09-07-2006, 10:48 AM
For those of you who hunger for more races, there is always the NELMA race Oct 21st. at Mountain Speedway.

allhailunc
09-07-2006, 11:26 AM
:disgusted Sucks? I have better words to describe it. I guess this means the guys that race every week don't mean diddly. Maybe you should try running once a month? :rolleyes:

fastgal
09-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Don't you need 18 races for regional points, or don't they do that anymore?

nitros77
09-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Yes, they still do it, but we lost out on it, due to rain outs. :mad:

outlawfab
09-07-2006, 01:01 PM
When Dave won the Charger championship, there were 18 races. I can't see having only 12 races and it is over!!

W. J.
09-07-2006, 01:59 PM
I know it is upsetting to some to have things end up this way, but no promoter can control the weather. There are other tracks battling the same problem, with even more rain outs than Riverhead, and shorter schedules. Should Riverhead reschedule 4 rain dates? When??? It starts getting mighty cool in the evening this time of year. Then, there are all the 'End Of Season' specials shows around this area that many want to enter/attend. It would be nice to live in Camelot, but we're stuck here on Long Island.

DriveitinDeep
09-07-2006, 02:55 PM
The weather is fine right through October and is certainly better than the April/May weather we have all experienced in the past. Not making up some of the shows is totally bogus, especially for the LM's, who got short changed the most. Anybody every hear of Sunday shows?????

maestri fan 1
09-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey to all you Late Model racers, they have the Milk Bowl up in ThunderRoad Speedbowl in Vermont. Not sure of the rules but maybe some of you want to check it out. I've been to the track before and it's awesome.

hollywoodmic
09-07-2006, 04:12 PM
I could be wrong, but when I worked there, The Cromartys were only allotted a certain amount of race dates per year. This was based on an agreement with the town. What they could look at for next year is how early most of the shows ended early this year, and perhaps run all divisions every night. Or give less nights off. With lower car counts, you can definitely add more divisions on any given night. As for them not giving diddly...........let's be glad we still have a place to race. That's because of the promoters.

fastgal
09-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Just out of curiousity, I looked at the schedule and noticed rain dates for enduros. At the end of the season, if there were a number of rain outs, could they use one of those dates, especially if it was to help the regional points?

allhailunc
09-08-2006, 05:17 AM
:disgusted I seemed to remember way back when when they used to run 50 lappers and throw the yellow checker midway to make up missed dates. It truly stinks for those guys that might be in the regional/national points hunt to miss out because of this. :(

hollywoodmic
09-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Unc, unfortunately, someone who disliked the chief steward back then called or wrote to NASCAR and they put a stop to that. All they were trying to do was help to get a regional Champ on the Island. Again, there are only so many race dates. I'd love to see them run into December with snow tires on. It's just not possible. Some years we get 18 features, others we get in 12. Unless you built a dome over the place, you just can't stop that.

Turbo
09-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I remember they had makeup features before the actual show started... maybe that's because it rained after heats, but why not do that? We do have PLENTY of time, due to low car counts (no heat races)?!?! Definitely short changing the late model drivers who run for the points. Maybe they can't afford to go out of town to race or have the time to do it. :*-(

W. J.
09-08-2006, 09:26 PM
I remember they had makeup features before the actual show started... maybe that's because it rained after heats, but why not do that?
That's when the cars were already qualified from the previous show. It's unfortunate that things have happened this way, but probably the only way to get them changed to something more acceptable is to ask NASCAR, or track management. We here at the JAM agree, it would be great to have enough races to help drivers in all eligible divisions qualify for regional points. I guess it needs to be brought up for discussion at the yearly meetings next January, if not before. I just don't see it changing this late in the game. :(

DriveitinDeep
09-08-2006, 10:21 PM
I heard a rumor tonight that the Mods got a show on the 16th. :mad: :mad: Hey, what about the LM's??

(LI JAM has heard no such rumor. Please confirm it at the track on Saturday-WJ)

maestri fan 1
09-08-2006, 10:37 PM
As nice as it would be seeing the Mods on the 16th, I can't see that happening seeing all of the events scheduled for that night. But who knows?

allhailunc
09-09-2006, 06:27 AM
True to a point there Hollywoodmic, but since when did Riverhead go by Nascar rulings all the time? They could make provions, be it added on shows, or half way yellow/checkers or something of that nature, to assure the divisions that qualify for regional/national points get in the minimum needed. But I can see that that's not in the best interest of the track to do so. And they wonder why car counts get as low as they are. These guys bust their butts for a few measly dollars in prize monies, and to get this kind of treatment is a darn shame. :disgusted

LongIslandJam
09-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Here's a summary:

When could the Modifieds make up races? They could run twins one night, and that would be disasterous and drivers would complain (as they did in the past with twins). Sunday shows are always frowned upon by drivers as well as weekday shows.

Late Models had 16 shows scheduled, so 4 of them got rained out (now that's some bad luck). Late Models could have had an opportunity to race on some of their off nights (3), but early on in the season, it didn't seem like they would get so much rain. Late Models generally don't care to run on Sundays and during the week either, unless previously scheduled (from my personal experience). Just as an FYI, Late Models do not run for NASCAR points. The second division appears to be done away with for the NASCAR Weekly Racing Series.

It's a shame that mother nature dealt us a bad hand, but we got to do the best with what we got. One solution may be thinking forward to next year. What can you do to prevent 12-14 races? Twins? Sunday Shows? Weekday shows? A dome? Something among the drivers must be agreed upon, and brought up to the powers that be, and I'm sure they'll consider whatever you have, but it's got to be mutually agreed upon.

Jaws
09-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Stafford added 2 or 3 shows. Its the first time they have run regular shows all of September.

W. J.
09-09-2006, 12:19 PM
They were rained out more than 6 shows!

Tracy87BB
09-10-2006, 08:44 AM
I remember 6 rainouts at Riverhead in 2003. We were only planning on running a partial schedule that year, and we managed to run the whole season because there were so few races. Interesting, though, was the fact that the end-of-the-year race still carried no points...

44Magnum
09-10-2006, 09:01 AM
"Autumn weather" is a non-issue. Racing goes on at places like Thompson well into October, and it's a lot colder in northern Connecticut in Autumn than it is here on the Island.

W. J.
09-10-2006, 10:14 AM
True, Magnum44, but the other issues to be considered are the fact that many Rivehead competitors use those dates for their 'off island' racing trips, and the all important fact that Riverhead is restricted in the number of RACE dates they can schedule in any given year. Could there be more? Possibly, I don't know the number they are restricted to.

Tower Man
09-11-2006, 08:51 AM
The rule book is quite clear as to when you can schedule point races. And with Riverhead, permits are filed way in advance. So adding a week or so to the schedule is not impossible, it could be a problem.

And as W.J. mentioned, many teams have plans to race out of state and use these trips as family vacations. But Walter, there is no limit to the number of shows a track can have, as long as they are within the calendar time frame.

If I remember correctly, NASCAR rule book section 17-7, Section A "...the season will officially open on January 1, 2006 and will officially close on September 17, 2006..."

Section C states, inpart, ... any Events scheduled after these dates shall not count towards the 2006 standings.

hollywoodmic
09-11-2006, 09:22 AM
But Tower what does the "Town of Riverhead Rule book" state? I thought they were only allowed a certain amount of race dates, no? You would know better than I do, I just remember them telling me that back when I worked there, that they only had a certain number of days to race.

RGeeProductions
09-11-2006, 09:30 AM
It boils down to what they applied for at the beginning of the year, to the town that is. They could possibly add, but the town makes that very difficult and lengthy so I don't think they even bother trying. [Which they may even have a limit to how many they can run, not sure on that] It is not NASCAR doing this, its all permits for dates to run applied to the town early in the year.
Modifieds and Late Models are done for the season.

Tower Man
09-11-2006, 12:55 PM
RGee, you are correct about the application for dates from the town as far as I know, and NASCAR does limit the time frame for points races.

LongIslandJam
09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
So in summary...

* Riverhead files for dates in advance for racing events. To secure one more could prove quite difficult.
* NASCAR points are only from a set period (January 1-September 17)

* Perhaps the answer is to secure more dates than needed or arrange for rain dates during the season (I don't know if this is doable). Then drivers would all have to agree to be able to race on a Sunday to make it up (a challenge in itself to, but could be doable).

Something that should be brought up over the course of the offseason to the powers that be.

Until then, we had a good chat, and man I'm missing Modifieds and Late Models already.