PDA

View Full Version : Calverton - Newsday Article

CIN
09-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Newsday

Business

Calverton back in play

Town of Riverhead finds itself entertaining new proposals for former U.S. Navy land

BY ELIZABETH MOORE

Newsday Staff Writer

September 14, 2006

Just when it seemed the Town of Riverhead was giving up on its plan for a regional playground on the former U.S. Navy property in Calverton, officials received a flurry of new inquiries and proposals ranging from a 70-acre amusement park to a 50-story indoor ski mountain.

A reorganized Top Gun Entertainment, which recently proposed a NASCAR-style track in Yaphank, is preparing a similar but larger proposal to build an EPCAL Entertainment Park, with everything from horses and camping to sports facilities and race cars. That is proposed for a 790-acre section where the town has signed a letter of understanding with Pulte Homes for a $91-million, 464-unit golf-course retirement community, hotel and conference center. EPCAL stands for Enterprise Park at Calverton.

And the U.S. representative for a Scotland-based investor group, Stewart International Marketing, said yesterday it may seek a 600-acres portion to build a 4-million-square-foot indoor sports facility and water park, a sort of Olympic training center for young skiers and other athletes that it expects would draw anywhere from 6,000 to 20,000 kids daily from Long Island, the United States and other countries.

Riverhead had just finished rezoning that 600-acre portion of the EPCAL property to light industrial and office uses and has been preparing a new request for proposals for it. Stewart likes its 10,000-foot runway, along with the site's proximity to two airports, a railroad and an interstate.

"What we need to find out is if this is something the community would embrace," said Del Freedline, the North American projects coordinator for Stewart, who met with town officials this summer and has been telephoning daily. He expects to pay something in the "neighborhood" of the $90 million or more that the town believes the land could claim from industrial buyers.

After a decade of failed efforts to market the site for a stadium or big theme park, Riverhead officials are taking a wait-and-see attitude toward the new, not-yet-formal proposals.

But with 90 percent of the industrial park at its core already under contract for sale much more quickly than expected, with a million square feet of building space occupied and with the prospect of competition for other portions of the site, they believe the market has finally come to Calverton.

"Eight or nine years ago, the people coming in here had grandiose ideas but no plan and no money. Now, they're credible," said Jack O'Connor, the Newmark Knight Frank real estate broker who has represented the town in marketing the property through four administrations.

Top Gun, whose former chief executive defaulted on personal loans in a separate venture, has a new, fiscally sound management structure, he noted, declining to provide details.

From 1954 to 1994 the EPCAL land, which includes two runways, was federal property occupied by Grumman Corp., which operated an aircraft assembly plant there. After Northrop Grumman announced its withdrawal, the Navy turned over title to all but a small, environmentally contaminated portion of the site to the Riverhead Community Development Agency. It is the largest current redevelopment project on Long Island.

After a planning process, the town designated about 492 acres at EPCAL's center, home to a number of former Grumman buildings, as a light-industrial park, which would be purchased by developer Jan Berman. They expected it would take 15 to 20 years for that land to be absorbed by the market, economic development director Andrea Lohneiss said.

After several frustrating years waiting for recreational buyers and lengthy but failed negotiations with developer Ken Wilpon, town officials were receptive when Pulte Homes submitted a proposal earlier this summer to buy 755 acres on the western side for a high-end Del Webb or Pulte Active Adult community for residents 55 and older. It was the only response to the town's request for proposals. In addition to the 300 acres designated for housing, it would hold a 50-acre hotel and conference center.

That proposal would donate a two-bay ambulance barn to the community, dedicate 125 acres to the Town of Riverhead for a community center to be built and paid for by Pulte, and leave 280 acres of open space.

Next month, the town will hold public hearings on whether to designate Pulte a "qualified and eligible sponsor" for the project, a prerequisite for any sale.

But Riverhead Deputy Supervisor Chris Kent said the town received a letter in June from Top Gun, notifying the town that the company was willing to pay $150,000 an acre for the property being eyed by Pulte, Kent said. That would total more than $112 million.

Top Gun's working draft proposal calls for a 100-acre equestrian area, a 100-acre motor-sports facility, instructional academy and museum, 210 acres of sports-car facilities for vintage car buffs, a 50-acre hotel and conference center, and 100 acres dedicated to indoor and outdoor sports, along with an recreational-vehicle park, family entertainment center, nightclubs and restaurant, O'Connor said.

Top Gun spokesman William Corbett Jr. said a "formal proposal will be submitted shortly."

Last month, town officials had a visit from Freedline of Stewart, who laid out details of a proposal to build an indoor megaplex totaling a staggering 4 million square feet, on the model of sports parks in Scotland, Japan, the Netherlands and the United Arab Emirates. It would feature a ski mountain and water park, with ice rinks, lacrosse and soccer fields, and facilities for two dozen other sports, organized around an academy for children age 4 to 18.

So grand is the Stewart proposal that officials say they want to have it in hand - and know a lot more about Stewart International Marketing - before they take it seriously. There also are significant concerns about how to handle traffic to the Enterprise Park site because a new exit from the Long Island Expressway would have to pass over sensitive pine barrens land, Kent said.

On the southeast corner of the property, developer Ron Terenzi has agreed to pay $10.8million for a 70-acre parcel where he hopes to build a midsize amusement park about on the scale of the nearby Splish Splash water park. "I want it to be a real amusement park," said Terenzi, who has budgeted $40 million for a facility that would be three times the size of Melville's Adventureland and would have what he called "major roller coasters" and "major rides."

For town officials, whose consultant studies had persuaded them this year that light industry was what the market wanted in Calverton, being wooed by the recreation crowd is a source of bemusement - but also satisfaction.

"The price of land on the East End has increased exponentially," said community development director Lohneiss. "Ten years ago, we were looking at offers of $15,000 an acre. There's an upside to not having sold land quickly at EPCAL.

LongIslandJam
09-14-2006, 09:53 PM
UPDATE:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-litopg0915,0,1644344.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

The Bullfather
09-14-2006, 10:21 PM
finally someone steps up.

pitbull113
09-14-2006, 11:12 PM
You have to give Top Gun credit for trying so hard but they should just give up and try N.J. This is never going to happen on L.I. I feel bad for you northerners.

allhailunc
09-15-2006, 05:24 AM
considering one "former" partner has alleady experienced financial "woes" don't be surprised.i'm sure they will be digging into everyone there.as for Calverton what happened to Yaphank?hey why not build on the old Parr meadows sight?I have to agree with pitbull on this one try NJ or somewhere where the prospect is more bright. :rolleyes:

catfish
09-15-2006, 08:13 AM
When it is all said and done, they will have spent a crap load of money and in MY OPINION they never really had any sort of shot at it. Seriously, when has something really ever been built on the Island that did not benefit the politicians? I just think that a project like this unfortunately annoys more people than it would benefit. Now again, this is just my opinion, and I would like to see a new track on Long Island, but really, when you think about it, it really has no shot with the politicians.

CIN
09-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Top Gun is still in for Yaphank. Nothing has been decided there. The Yaphank Committee will be making their recommendations to Levy and the County Legislator's shortly.
As for Calverton, the opportunity came up to propose to the Riverhead Town Board.
As for building in New Jersey. What is that about? I guess as circle track racers we take for granted that we still have a track left on LI - whether or not you like the place. What about all the drag racers that HAVE to go to another state each and everytime they want to race? What about all the road course racers that HAVE to go to another state to race? And what happens to us Circle Track racers when the rumors of the closing of Riverhead become reality? Why not fight to keep and bring back racing to LI. Between Nassau and Suffolk we have more people residing here than in 19 states. Why not accomodate our residents? Why not think about keeping the money that is being spent out of state HERE?
I don't know - I will support Riverhead for as long as it is there - but I will also help to try to bring racing back here and to keep it here! And from my perspective - I don't even have to do that any longer....BUT I WANT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CIN

The Bullfather
09-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Don't worry Cin, we have a bunch of pansys that nay-say everything. They don't believe in the sun either. :)

Par meadows is too close to housing development and smaller piece of land.

catfish
09-15-2006, 09:42 AM
If you are refering to me I have never said anything negative about this but I just stated MY OPINION and really when was the last project that actually made sense to any part of the community built, besides housing.

art11758
09-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Negativity is a natural for some. It's a shame since that same energy directed in positive fashion accomplishes so much more. I'm all for choices, I just find the "process" phenominally frustrating.

The Bullfather
09-15-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm just saying it seems the same people are always saying: "this closing, that is closing, this is not going to work, that will never work, you'll never see it!" It's the process that is fustrating, but nothing gets done if people sit on their arches and do nothing. But, be a back seat driver. I thank Cin a lot for what she doing. She been through a lot and still believes in this community of racing. Not just oval racing, but racing of every kinda. As oal racers we should be behind the drag racers and support them, I would want the same back. But it not going to happen unless someone takes the steps. Thank you to Cindy and people like Joe Larsen for your efforts to be there! I was able to make one meeting, we need more people there from OUR (Riverhead and The Jam) community to be there!!!

pitbull113
09-15-2006, 12:35 PM
There is a difference between being a nay-sayer or negative and being realistic. Long Islanders don't care aboout racing, they care about making their houses nicer than their neigbors and driving around in their fancy SUVs. I'd love to see a new racetrack on the island but you're dealing with politicians and yuppies here. You really don't think they are going to support a racetrack do you. Wake up!!

DAN D.
09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
I think I will go to Freeport racetrack tonight, Islip Saturday night Riverhead on Sunday and next Tuesday night back to Freeport. It would be nice to have a larger track on Long Island.
I am sorry to get off the Subject had to vent to myself ..

The Bullfather
09-15-2006, 01:40 PM
You didn't fight enough back then and you won't fight enough now. So please do Cindy and others a favor and stop bringing down their hopes in making a difference. You think comments like that enrage her or bring her down a notch?......................................

I'd like a track comments don't make a difference with actions!!! So instead of posting negative or what you call realistic comments, make a difference with her!

catfish
09-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Hang on a minute, I understand what you are saying but is this not America where we are all entitled to our opinion, now i do not necessarily want to be negative but i believe it is everyone's right to there own opinion and there right to voice it.

allhailunc
09-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Let's get one thing clear-I wholeheartedly applaud efforts of folks like Cin & my freind Joe Larsen in attempting to keep racing, no matter what kind it is, here on Long Island. One thing I do beleive in is reality. Way too often I've seen things come and go. I've seen strip malls built and sit there collecting dust. What makes one think that a facility the planned size that Top Gun wants to build has actually got a chance to make it out here on the island where the economy just plainly "stinks"?
Cin, Joe prove me wrong, but until that time, I see another possible eye sore, if it does get built. Just my opinion and as someone just before so eloquently stated this is America and I'm entitled to voice my opinion. If all were very rosy and peaches and cream, than this wouldn't be Long Island, it would be the Garden of Eden, but for now we'll have to settle for Garden City. :wave:

The Bullfather
09-15-2006, 02:41 PM
yes, but it seems the same people always have a negative comment about things, I'm not pointing fingers but it's not productive at all!!! You support Cindy, Joe and others but then the next thing you do is squash moral with doubters and all. Don't you think we've heard and seen it all before comments are good for someone who is trying to make a difference. This is America, you have freedom of speech, but it another thing to keep going on about the track closing or we're not going to build a track on Long Island. I've had enough reading the same posts or hearing the same people at the track say it! Support it don't squash it! Hey if it falls through, it still makes us stronger, makes our faces known and voices heard. Not every word will fall on deaf ears, if the voices are loud enough. Or motors it can and might make a difference in future!

DAN D.
09-15-2006, 02:43 PM
hey bullfather . Your saying
stop bringing down their hopes by stating what I did ? in my previous post .. Hardly the impression that I wanted to make, read it again.. escpecially this part ..
It would be nice to have a larger track on Long Island. and if you were not directing it to me then I retract this reply directing it to you .

DAN D.
09-15-2006, 03:18 PM
If this is the same person, which I believe it is, Top Gun has a great spokesman with a reputation that preceeds him. Here is some info on William Corbett Jr.(Top Gun's Spokesman). Here is the link>>>>
William Corbett Jr. (http://home.att.net/~wjcorbett/BJRnp2kweb.htm)

CIN
09-15-2006, 03:29 PM
No one on can bring down my "hopes". They changed on 4/1 of this year. But I will still do whatever "I" can to help those whose "dreams" are to bring about a place for racing and entertainment (remember, what Top Gun is proposing is NOT just racing) to LI. Maybe it won't happen, but I am not one to sit and say it won't or I can't until I try...and quite frankly, NOW more than ever I am determined to TRY...

And yes - this is the USA and everyone is entitled to their opinions...if you would rather that I did not post what is happening, then just let me know.

CIN

The Bullfather
09-15-2006, 03:34 PM
POST AWAY!!!!!!! KEEP GOING CIN!!! You are a Godsend to this community through all you've been through. Let us know what we can do in future here on The Jam.

LongIslandJam
09-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Let's keep this thread positive! If we want another racetrack (which we can all agree to), then we must do our part. I know realistically it does not look good, but you never know. The Top Guns guys have done their homework and let's hope it pans out. I wouldn't mind having to cover 2 or more tracks during the year, and I hope one day that the Jam can! :)

W. J.
09-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Cin,

Let's get one thing straight right now. No one has been more helpful than you in researching and getting out the information that people need to help make this happen. From news releases, to politicians emails, and office addresses, no one has worked harder than you. If it is to be or not to be, nobody can bash you for it, as you have worked tirelessly to let us all know what is going on. I know this, because everytime I see something that is owrth printing about it, by the time I get here, you've already found it before me and posted it. For that, I and LI Jam thank you profusely. :) :) :)
As to anyone who is not interested in seeing it, they can just click on another thread and read that. No one is forced to read anything here. ;)

J.D.
09-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Man, we need positive thinking on Yapank and Calverton Property. I hear a lot of "It Will Never happen"! Let the Bussinessmen do their thing, and we should support them. Let's hope one of these places works out. We do need a Racing Facility for Oval and Drag Racing on the Island.

vsmidge68
09-16-2006, 09:19 AM
I for one hate reading the newspaper, (call me ignorant or whatever you want, I don't care) so I rely on Cindy's posts to keep me updated. As far as I am concerned, Cindy is a strong woman who could have turned her back on the whole thing and just walked away. She chose to keep plugging along, going to the track, staying involved, supporting the racing community and ALL the drivers and tracks. Please let's try to keep our negative comments down and just hope for the best. Just think, maybe more positive comments and support and something good may actually happen. Thanks Cin, for keeping us all updated. I for one appreciate it.

WEEZER
09-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Here's a POSITIVE post. I'm Positively going to the track tonight on this beautiful Sunny day to see some great short track racing and champions crowned, then end it with a nice beer in my hand, while enjoying the carnage of twisted metal that only Long Island's best demo guys can dish out!!

art11758
11-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Hope I picked the correct thread for this.......

http://www.libn.com/breakingNews.htm?articleID=6235&sourceReferrer=flashReport

some news is better than no news eh?

CIN
11-02-2006, 02:11 PM
THIS WAS POSTED ON THE TOPGUN WEBSITE

Our Only competition is Dying on the Vine!!!!! Door is wide open

Pulte's proposal hits snag
Fails to attract hotel developer and pares back its offer

By John Stefans

The controversial proposal by Pulte Homes to pay Riverhead $91 million for 755 acres in the recreational zone at EPCAL to build 464 homes, a golf course and a hotel and conference center could be collapsing.

The company already has informed the town that it has had no luck attracting a hotel chain to invest $20 million for the acquisition of 55 acres of the property and, therefore, will return to the negotiating table with a scaled-down bid.

According to Riverhead Deputy Town Supervisor Chris Kent, Pulte plans to submit a revised plan shortly to purchase only 700 acres for $71 million for housing while requesting the right to arrange the purchase of the remaining 55 acres for a hotel once market conditions improve.

"Basically, they've said that they've exhausted their search and that they may not be able to find an investor for five years," Mr. Kent said.

He said the company has thus far made no indications that it may also pare down the number of age-restricted homes it wants to build and the number of acres it will need. "They seem still willing to move head," Mr. Kent said, but weakening conditions in the housing market — particularly with respect to new homes sales — could put those plans in jeopardy as well.

According to HUD, the median price of new homes nationally, after rising annually for decades, plummeted 9.7% over the past year, and this has put earnings and revenue pressures on Pulte, one of the nation's largest builders and, through its Dell Webb subsidiary, the leader in building 55-and-over "active adult" communities of the type planned for EPCAL. For the third quarter, Pulte saw its earnings drop by 50%, and its CEO, Richard Duglas, pointed to more difficulties ahead.

"The operating landscape for new home sales remained challenging during the quarter, as high inventory levels, affordability issues, elevated cancellation rates and a general lack of buyer confidence continued to weigh on new homes sale," Mr. Duglas said in a press release.

"In response to these more difficult market conditions," he continued, "we continue to shorten our land pipeline and reduce production."

But there may be more troubles brewing for Pulte's plans for EPCAL that go beyond market conditions.

In order to build the 464 homes Pulte wants, the Town Board must approve a zone change for the recreational district, where, under current zoning, only 216 homes can be built as accessories to four separate golf courses.

A proposal to change the zoning to permit 464 homes on only one golf course — provided an acre of open space is preserved for each home — had been the subject of a public hearing on Sept. 20. But thus far the Town Board has failed to vote on the change, and there are indications that Supervisor Phil Cardinale, who favors it, might not have the three votes he needs for passage.

Councilman Ed Densieski has for a long time been an opponent of housing at EPCAL. In fact, twice he introduced a resolution to prohibit housing, but failed to get a second and the measure died. But this week, Councilwoman Barbara Blass, who had previously appeared to favor the change, indicated in a response to an e-mail from The News-Review that she may be changing her mind.

"I think we should reevaluate the entire PRP [planned recreational district] and take another look at the permitted uses," she wrote. Even Mr. Cardinale this week suggested that the postponing of plans for a hotel and conference center may change his own view.
"It makes it less attractive to me and I suspect to other members of the board," he said. "I think the one thing the board and the community agree about wholeheartedly is that a hotel and conference center would be good at that site. Every other use has proponents and opponents, so it is a negative development."

Mr. Kent, however, said that approving the new zoning would be a good thing even without the bid from Pulte.

"People think that if we approve it, we exclude other uses, but that's not the correct way to view it," he said. "It would just add the ability to realize greater return on the property. I think the board is trying to tie it to Pulte and they should separate it from Pulte."

If the Pulte proposal fails, it would be the second time a bid to build houses in the recreational district has gone by the boards. Last year, the developer Ken Wilpon submitted a bid to buy the same 755 acres for $66 million. His plan was to put up more than 600 homes, along with a golf course and a hotel and conference center. But after a rancorous public hearing, Mr. Wilpon withdrew his offer.

Another proposal for the same 755 acres is still alive. Top Gun Entertainment has submitted a bid to pay $105 million for the property to construct a sports and entertainment complex, including a race track. The company had been scheduled to make a formal presentation to a Town Board work session last week, but that date has been put off to give Top Gun more time to prepare.

© 2006 Times-Review Newspapers
Terms of Service - Privacy Policy