PDA

View Full Version : DQ's

Gravel
09-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Does anyone know why Ron Langdon and Tom Pickerall were DQ'd?

W. J.
09-17-2006, 07:44 PM
The heads on Langdon's #72 were not in compliance with the rules. Tom Pickerell declined to have his car tech'd and left the premises.

The Bullfather
09-17-2006, 07:54 PM
That leave one to think, was he tired after the season and said "screw it, I'm going home!" or "Hey I don't want anything found illegal on my car!"!!!

That's basically up to the individual to think what he wants to think, but I'd love to hear Pickerell response to why he left so early. I know for a fact Saturday Night Live isn't on till 11:35 pm, but, then again the Yankees did play Boston last night!!!

By going by history, they have torn that motor part before and he could have been tired and wanted to go home!

Great Blunderbust race none the less. Pickerell is fun to watch on the track amongst a few others, always on the move! Hope he's back and poised in 2007.

W. J.
09-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Tom Pickerell declined to have his car tech'd and left the premises.
Maybe you need to read it AGAIN!

The Bullfather
09-17-2006, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=The Bullfather]That leave one to think, was he tired after the season and said "screw it, I'm going home!" or "Hey I don't want anything found illegal on my car!"!!!

Maybe you need to read it AGAIN!

It was reference to what he was feeling after the race was over. It never questioned the part of not wanting to be tech'd. It plan as day he didn't want it to be tech'd, it was the question of why he didn't want it to be tech'd!

Gravel
09-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Bottom line, it leaves it up to your own mind. Makes you think why. Also why he waved Wayne Okula by before the checkered. Just my opinion.

W. J.
09-17-2006, 08:49 PM
I'll leave it at this; I was told he refused to go through tech, and was told he was not going to be welcomed back next season. He left anyway; draw your own sensible conclusion from that.

The Bullfather
09-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Sounds familiar? I know he's raced away from Riverhead before to go IMCA modified racing. Hear hoping that 2004 Blunderbust champ re-think things through and comes back!

RickFigure8
09-17-2006, 10:50 PM
And I believe that now in order to run next year he will have to show them whatever they were going to check last night so they can see it's legal before he will be allowed to run.

Rick

The Bullfather
09-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Thats kinda pointless don't you think Rick? It's so ridiculous if it was true. Anything that might be considered illegal could be changed once you leave the track, or even at the track if officals aren't looking. I hope it's not the last we see of Slick Pick, he always put on a good race to watch.

Great season Rick, you guys were strong when you needed to be!

loving74
09-18-2006, 02:54 AM
If you have nothing to hide you would never refuse a tech inspection, even if you have been inspected before! The innocent stay, the guilty run and hide! If Pick had nothing to hide then why run! Makes u wonder!

allhailunc
09-18-2006, 05:43 AM
Heck, why not chase another driver or two away. This way the show can run even faster. :(

art11758
09-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Lets say for arguments sake you have spent a great deal of time and thought developing something. And you are not quite yet ready to share. Those post race teardowns are not in some sheltered area, they are in front of well...... everybody. I can appreciate declining post race inspection on those grounds. Even though on the surface it paints you in a suspicious light.
As far as the #72 I find it interesting that for a car that's best finish was a 13th previously (this season), another driver can get in it and crank out a top time and finish. Cylinder heads not withstanding, since chances are they've been on there for the season, it says quite a bit about Mr. Langdon.
As always...............just my opinion.

tstiles
09-18-2006, 02:27 PM
If the car was found "non-compliant", what happens to the finish? I left quickly Sat. night, was there more drama? Is Tommy the champ?

LongIslandJam
09-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Tommy Walkowiak is still champ...

As for Langdon, I assume he went into the car not knowing what was under it. One thing is certain, legal or not, he can certainly drive a racecar.

As far as Slick Pick, I agree with you Art. Those teardowns are in public view and Slick Pick knows how to bend the rules to his liking and still be legal. I'm sure Slick didn't want to show the world all his tricks, and besides, last race of the season, why go through the hassle of tearing your car down? Slick will be back somewhere in something I'm sure of it...

Tower Man
09-18-2006, 05:31 PM
This is my opinion, based on facts I was presented with, and past history. The heads were off the IMCA motor.

Now here's where it gets tricky. If a NASCAR penalty is assessed, and that is not my concern, it's up to Bill, he could be fined up to $500 and suspended indefinitely pending the surrender of the illegal parts. He will not be permitted to compete at any NASCAR track in the country. And his credibility is now in question.

Don't get me wrong. I like "Slick Pick", he was always professional to me and his father kept me supplied with lobsters, clams and oysters.

Maybe this could have been handled differently, but hind sight is 20/20 vision.

The Bullfather
09-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Last race, why hassle to tear down your motor!

W. J.
09-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Last race, why hassle to tear down your motor!
Is that 'vote' to ignore rules because it's the last race night? The rules are supposed to be appiled each and every time, not all events except the last.

LongIslandJam
09-18-2006, 07:45 PM
I agree with you WJ... Rules should be enforced throughout the year and no way I'm condoning what Slick Pick did, but hey, last race of the year, whatever, I wouldn't conform either... What do I have to lose, just providing you with another side of the coin...

W. J.
09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Quoting Towerman...suspension and fine until illegal parts are surrendered... That would do it for me, as far as losing something.

LongIslandJam
09-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Point taken! :)

The Bullfather
09-18-2006, 09:17 PM
I never condoned his actions, but I would be kinda peaved that after I finished the season, next thing I got to do take apart the car for inpections. I know and understand why it's done. Last race why not see if I can bend the rules, if I get away with it, cool! Someones got to get that car back together before you get on or in the trailer. :-B

Wheel Racing
09-18-2006, 11:25 PM
I know and understand why it's done. Last race why not see if I can bend the rules, if I get away with it, cool! Someones got to get that car back together before you get on or in the trailer. :-B

This race has always been a tear down race. When we started with the 50 lapper in 2000, the top 3 were always torn down. The difference this year is that they made it a points race (and took away 20 laps), so unfortunately, Pick went from (possible) 2nd to 4th by not pulling his motor apart. I understand about having to put it back together, but at least there isn't a race the next week to get ready for. The issue about trying to bend the rules for the last race is probably a stretch, since we already know that the top 3 are being pulled apart. I'm pretty sure that most of us brought the same car(figuratively) that we all ran the rest of the season without any special "rule bending" for the final race. Pick is a great guy and fun to race with, but only he knows his motives and hopefully he will be back next season.

allhailunc
09-19-2006, 05:24 AM
Thats a funny one JA-Rules being enforced throughout the year-from what I've seen this past season here (from many different viewpoints/posters) it seems to me it's "Pick & Choose" as to enforcement-but what can one expect-at least you still have racing.

W. J.
09-19-2006, 09:54 AM
This race has always been a tear down race. When we started with the 50 lapper in 2000, the top 3 were always torn down. The difference this year is that they made it a points race (and took away 20 laps), so unfortunately, Pick went from (possible) 2nd to 4th by not pulling his motor apart. I understand about having to put it back together, but at least there isn't a race the next week to get ready for. The issue about trying to bend the rules for the last race is probably a stretch, since we already know that the top 3 are being pulled apart. I'm pretty sure that most of us brought the same car(figuratively) that we all ran the rest of the season without any special "rule bending" for the final race. Pick is a great guy and fun to race with, but only he knows his motives and hopefully he will be back next season.
Brilliantly stated, thanks.

Tracy87BB
09-20-2006, 07:21 AM
You can look at the "final race teardown" from either side of the fence. A lot of guys don't want to break apart a relatively new motor, only to have to bust a$$ to get it back together for the next week; not to mention the cost of gaskets, etc., in relation to the purse if you finish 3rd, for example (I remember Chris being torn down to some extent or another something like six weeks in a row at the beginning of the 2001 season because he kept finishing up front). It certainly was frustrating to have to put things back together each and every week, but - on the positive side - no one could say that there was any favoritism or that the car had never been seriously checked. Yes, this has always been a teardown race, as Wheel stated (I remember someone getting lucky in 2000 when one of the top three was DQ'd and they didn't make the fourth place guy pull his stuff apart...ha ha). The disadvantage of waiting until the last race of the season is that you have already awarded a driver an entire season's worth of points before you've really "dug into" his stuff. As Wheel said, pretty much everyone runs the same car for this race as they do for all of the others (it doesn't pay THAT much to win, and it really isn't so prestigious - I don't think - that a driver would bother spending all that time to change something for one week). I think it was the first time they ran the end-of-season Charger race, when the points champion got DQ'd. I'll bet that really PO'd a lot of guys who ended up behind him in points. That's not to say that whatever the part was definitely would have been caught during the season, but it would have been more likely. As I said, you can look at it either way. It was a shame to see what happened as far as the DQ goes; I hope that Pick and the officials/track management can work past this and come up with an amicable solution for everyone. After all, the division needs as much help in terms of car count as it can get...

Short & Simple
09-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Doesn't getting "caught" on the last race taint the entire season? Rules are rules, whether it be opening night, or the last night. NASCAR and the track officials should throw the book at him as a deterrent to future "cheaters" or shall I say, rules benders.

RickFigure8
09-21-2006, 04:09 AM
Bullfather thanks. This was especially big for me as Tommy and I go back together through most of the seasons back to 1978 and all three championships. I thought the racing between Tommy, George, and Roger was pretty exciting all year. There's six or seven guys I'd love to see pick up good sponsors for next year. I think we could almost have a different winner each week, whoever starts up front.
I was totally caught by surprise saturday. I hadn't even thought of pulling a head till we went over the scales. All year long this was just an extra race. Then they added the points part of it. And then the extra money, but it still was not called a championship race.
An interesting question to throw out there to everyone. How would you go about enforcing the rules, basically as far as the engine is concerned? I actually don't think it's realistically possible unless an inspector is there as the heads, intake and oil pan are installed and the thing sealed right then.

Rick

art11758
09-21-2006, 10:02 AM
If I'm not mistaken, they used to pump the engines and seal them in the Blunderbust division. Not that I am saying in any way that should be the answer. Some tracks have gone to a spec/crate idea that is supposed to be easy to police. The idea of inspected, marked components sounds very time consuming for all parties. In the long run though, it might be beneficial because once it is done, barring a failure or freshening, it's done. Any other thoughts?

Tracy87BB
09-21-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't remember Blunderbust motors ever being sealed. I could be wrong, but I've been around the division on and off since around 1994...perhaps it was before that time.