PDA

View Full Version : Explain Something

bobbysgirl1805
09-25-2006, 11:18 AM
The championships are decided, why is the Mountain giving 200 points for the King of the Mountain?

LongIslandJam
09-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Technically the championships aren't decided. They earn their championship if and only if they show up for King of the Mountain. As long as they attend King of the Mountain, they get the championship...

thriller 34
09-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Somebody throws a 14 1/2 to 1 modified super fast motor in a 4cylinder thriller/thriller/street stock/ late model.....they get caught and dq'ed....do they lose the 200 points...because it said you get 200 points for registering?.....

ss26
09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
We were told you get 200 points for attempting to qualify. Everyone gets 200 points no matter what. That's my understanding.

mcsnoww
09-25-2006, 05:22 PM
That's like having what you earned in battle for 25 weeks held hostage. The last points race is the last points race. I'd hate to be someone who throws an axle, somewhere in Jersey, trying to make the KOTM and lose a championship for not showing up.

CJfilms
09-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Every driver who registers for the race, will receive the 200 points. The reason behind this is that there have been incidents in the past where a competitor from another track gets ...involved... with a POINTS competitor from Mountain during the KOTM when it used to be double points. Imagine, points leader gets eliminated from the FINAL double points race due to an incident with a competitor from another track...it sucks when/if it happens, but it can happen.

With all drivers receiving 200 points, not one top ten driver will feel like they can miss/pass this event up because of their current points...nor will they have to worry about making up any lost ground due to the above situation. Keep in mind, this is the LAST race, so when something like that does happen, tempers rage and end up boiling over the whole off season. This way relieves a lot of that stress...well, at least it should.

Try not to look at this as a disheartening reason for the drivers to strive to win...the purses make up for any point disapPOINTments! lol. Keep in mind, the Big Dog Mod event and the Street Stock Shootout are BOTH NON-POINTS!!! Yet they are both filled with action!

mike moyer jr
09-25-2006, 10:33 PM
so is it an open comp show or mountain rules?

#4ss/mod
09-25-2006, 11:04 PM
mountain rules

EricaR
09-26-2006, 07:04 AM
I'm not 100% sure, I will check with Billy, but if I can recall, yes, you do get 200 points for attempting to qualify, even if you don't make the race. HOWEVER, if after the post race inspection, you are found illegal, you DO NOT get the 200 points. So let's just say that Scott Meckes # 26 SS ...(you know I love ya Scott, that's why I'm using you as an example), who has technically won the championship at this point, shows up for KOTM, gets 200 points, wins the race (now that he has gotten the winning a big show monkey off of his back), but during post race tech is found to be running his Street Stock on Modified tires (lol) and DQ'd. He does not get the 200 points and Frantz would then win the championship. Like I said, I'm not 100% sure, but like someone stated in another above post, this would also curb anyone's thoughts of throwing an illegal motor in the car just to get the big check and still win the championship. Erica

mcsnoww
09-26-2006, 07:37 AM
I read Joe's explanation of why they gave 200 points, because it "used" to be a double points race, and "used" to be this or that, but that was then and this is now. Now it's not even a points race anymore. That's why it comes down to exactly what I said it was to begin with. Your championship is being held hostage in order to fill the pits with cars for the KOTM. It just doesn't seem right.

EricaR
09-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Maybe then for next year, the KOTM shouldn't even be a points race at all?? I still have to believe that with the payouts in each division being what they are for KOTM the pits would still be just as full, which in return would bring high car counts as well as additional fans in the stands. I'm pretty sure that you'd still see all the drivers who won the championships the week before bringing the cars back for one last big race at the Mountain, points, no points, or 200 points.

mcsnoww
09-26-2006, 08:43 AM
And that is the way it should be. Racers coming to the KOTM because they want to, not because thay are being forced to come. I read this week's press release and it states exactly who were the divisional champions for 2006. Why would something like that be stated if there is one more race that could change the outcomes?

EricaR
09-26-2006, 08:50 AM
That's like having what you earned in battle for 25 weeks held hostage. The last points race is the last points race. I'd hate to be someone who throws an axle, somewhere in Jersey, trying to make the KOTM and lose a championship for not showing up.
As far as that goes, you would have to throw an axle 2 days in a row. If you show up on Saturday, you get 200 points, then you throw an axle, or can't make it back for any reason on Sunday, you still get 200 points...even if your racecar blows a motor, you wreck in practice before you even time trial, etc. If you can't make it to the track on Saturday, you have a whole day to try and fix whatever is wrong with your car, your truck, whatever to then make it to the track for Sunday to try and qualify in the consi's and still get your 200 points for showing up. What if the driver has a family emergency for example? It could happen at any time during the season, you just for some reason or another cannot make it to the track...that's life, and if something that important happens, my guess is at that point, you aren't too worried about the championship, but the problem at hand. I'm not trying to start a battle here, but the promoters make the rules. All of the championship drivers were aware of these rules for KOTM for a long time, and if they weren't happy with it, they wouldn't have commited to running Mountain all year and trying to win the championship. "Life" is a risk you take each and every week once commited to doing battle for 25 weeks or however long the season is, not just for the last race. Just my 2 cents, keep the change. Erica

EricaR
09-26-2006, 09:00 AM
And that is the way it should be. Racers coming to the KOTM because they want to, not because thay are being forced to come. I read this week's press release and it states exactly who were the divisional champions for 2006. Why would something like that be stated if there is one more race that could change the outcomes?

Sunday was also the final point's show of the season. When it was all said and done, Eddie Brunnhoelzl took his very first modified championship over Brian Defebo. Along with his feature win, Mike Coll beat Joe Barbush for his first late model title. Scott Meckes claimed his fourth win enroute to his second career street stock crown over Paul Frantz and Bill Price, Jr. locked up his first thriller title. Rookie sensation, Joe Sherman edged out Harry Sager by a mere six points to take the four-cylinder thriller title. The 7th annual "King of the Mountain" event is coming up in two weeks, but all drivers who sign in will be awarded 200 points for their participation.

Perhaps not as clearly stated as it should be, no offense Geno, but it is stated.

Geno
09-26-2006, 09:14 AM
On Sunday I personally spoke to Eddie, Mike, Scott, Bill & Joe. All said that they will attend King of the Mountain (and why wouldn’t they?). It was EXACTLY the same situation last season, except 100 points were awarded. So, why all of the fuss? Explain that to me, LOL. :confused:

modprincess8x
09-26-2006, 09:23 PM
I personally think its a great idea how they do the points for the KOTM. The KOTM brings a lot of outside cars into the show and to make it double points like it states in the schedule really takes a chance on hurting all of the regulars points. Quite a few years back, my father lost a championship at Riverhead because they had a big race with double points towards the end of the season, and a non-regular took us out of the race. Making it 200 points is good because it makes sure the regulars come to the race, which is only right, the regulars should want to race this race. The regulars should have planned to run this race from the beginning of the season, since in the schedule it does say it's double points, so I don't feel it is holding anyone hostage. The track may say that we are the champion, but we're not fully celebrating it until after time trials next Sat. You just never know what can happen before then, although a lot of pressure has been lifted away!

While I'm here, I want to thank all the officials and drivers for aiding in our successful season. Because of all of you, the 6 hour round trip (if we didn't hit traffic at the GW bridge) was well worth it and you guys kept us coming back every week. So on behalf of Eddie and the 8x team, thanks...we enjoy racing with you!

#9SS
09-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Not to jump into this conversation, but I just want to make a correction. Last year's championship was not won because someone had to retire. Jim had to be ahead of Brad at the end of the race, and accomplished that with both finishing the final points race.

BlingxBling
09-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah I realized that after I posted it....oops...I will remove that statement. Sorry.

#9SS
09-27-2006, 09:23 AM
No problem....By the way have you been to the fair yet???? I went yesterday and saw a great big bear in one of the gaming stands with a t-shirt that said BLING. Thought of you when I saw it.

BlingxBling
09-27-2006, 09:44 AM
I think I am going to go this afternoon. I have had a few people call me up to tell me about different items they have seen at the fair that say "Bling".

CJfilms
09-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Well stated Keri! That is a point I cannot affirm being a non racer!

Fisha695
09-28-2006, 03:41 AM
Ok here is are some questions. Also, if I've misunderstood something, I'm sorry ahead of time.

I believe it was stated that the extra 200 points are to avoid incidents where the Points leader gets taken out by a car from another track.

So every Driver that makes the race gets 200 points.

So really it would be the same as getting no extra points?

You get the 200 points, plus the points you get for your finish, right?

So even with the 200 points, if the points leader gets taken out and finishes last, he gets last place points, plus 200 extra ones. However, the winner of the race gets 1st place points, plus 200 extra ones, is that the way it works?

And if that is right, the the 200 extra points wouldn't even matter, because everybody is getting them.

Once again, if I misunderstood something I'm sorry. I just read this and was confused so I had to ask...

-Josh-

NJ Chick
09-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Josh,
You don't get points for where you finish in the race, it's 200 points total for just showing up. If you take your total points that you have right now, and you show up at the KOTM, no matter where you finish in the race, add 200 points to your total and that is what you will finish with for the season. If you don't come to the KOTM at all, whatever points you have right now is final for the year. That is why it's important for those who are close in the points for any top 10 position to be at the KOTM because it could make a difference in where they actually end up finishing for the year.:eek: Hope that helps! :wave:

NEETS-1
09-28-2006, 11:06 PM
No matter how you package it, this show is for the fans. The fans want to see cars. The track needs cars to pay the purses. The 200 points is for car counts, plain and simple.
In the early years, the KOTM has been a non-points show, where the pits were overflowing with cars. As time went on, more and more of our weekly regulars just packed it up after the last points race, and our KOTM ended up with a better percentage of non-regulars, with car counts going down.
The effort to make the KOTM in recent years an end of year Championship race, like many other tracks do, just didn't seem fair to our regulars if they worked all year to get where they were in points, only to have a non-regular knock him out of contention in the last race of the year. So, I came up with a solution to keep the business of track ownership, the fans and the drivers happy....200 points for attending.
Now say what you may, but that is the business end of it, and what keeps the doors open. ;)

mcsnoww
09-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Thank you for the no sugar coated, no BS explaination. It verifies, to me, that it is exactly what I saw it as but you'll have to excuse me for still not believing it to be right.