Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NELMA Suggestions

NELMA Suggestions

No one in the entire field at the first NELMA race finished in their correct position. Not to mention the restarts can't even be called restarts considering that the leaders were taking the green out of four, while the rear end of the field was still not at speed on the front stretch. Not ONE car finished in their correct position...not one. Since when do cars who were involved in a wreck get to start ahead of cars who weren't involved in the wreck. It seemed like if you wanted a postition, just go ahead under caution and move up as many spots as you want. No official stopped anyone from doing anything.

I'm pretty sure we finished in the correct position.
    Freddie Kraft
    ~66~Rest In Peace JB3~66~
    ~12~ TS Motorsports ~12~
    ~08~ Young Guns Motorsports ~08~

Everyone was set to their correct position each and every caution. The position they crossed at the last completed lap, the officials set them to where they were supposed to be.

If there's any specific incidents, feel free to contact me, info@nelmaracing.com or (516) 330-9737.

Thanks,

slice
    J.A

I was at the race and the finishing order is correct. I for one am looking forward to it taking off next year.

Joe Sescila

I was in the tower yesterday, taking notes on the race, and working right by the computer that keeps track of the transponders during the race. They do a better job than anything I've seen, and they were working perfectly yesterday, so I really don't see the problem, other than maybe not everyone understands how the system works. All restarts reverted to the previously completed lap, and those positions are radioed to the officials to line the field up properly. I can tell you that Brad, the guy doing this, is both experienced and extremely capable at doing this job.
    So I guess the real question is, exactly what do you think your teams problem was, instead of speaking in vague generalities??? Every line-up was right on the money, from start, to every restart, to finish.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

First Congrats to JRod, a well earned win.
    Second, vague generalities WJ ?????

The kid saw the race and gave his opinion. The last time I looked EVERYONE
    is entitled to their opinion without being dissed, especially by the moderator

Roger, he was not dissed by the moderator. I addressed it as 'vague generalities' because no specific instance of a problem was brought up. "No one in the entire race finished in their proper position"? Like Freddy said, someone must have, because the first guy across the line after 100 laps was declared the winner, and no one has protested to my knowledge. There were instances where the race could have been better, but most of the problems were with collisions between competitors, not with any officiating as far as I know, but to complain about cars positions in a single file restart? No matter where you run, the number of cars and the length of the track means that cars will seem to be spaced quite far apart when there are 25 on a 1/3 mile track, versus 15 on a 1/4 mile track. The problem would still be the same, but look different. By feature race time, all should have been familiar with where restarts took place, and paced themselves according to that and trying to be safe.
    On the question about cars passing others under caution when being realigned for a restart, the only ones who did were being put to the rear for being involved in the caution, but not behind cars that were already one or more laps down. I believe that's done most everywhere.
    I really am sorry that you took this the wrong way, as I didn't mean to be offensive to anyone, but merely challenge the statement in hopes a more specific question might be posed. I hope the above makes that a bit clearer. If not, let us (or me) know.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

There was one instance I do remember I found questionable where the 68 spun on his own and then was put in front of the 39 for the restart instead of being put in the back of the field. I don't know if it would have changed the outcome of the race, but I do know that at that time, that particular official call was not correct.
    As for the restarts, the track officials should explain to the teams before the race if the leader starts the race or if the flagger starts the race. There should also needs to be a designated restart line (which there is) and the officials need to hold the line as to jumping the restarts. What I saw yesterday was restarts beginning halfway down the backstretch.
    I don't want Billy and the officials to take this as someone crying sour grapes, but rather as a suggestion for future events. I like the facility and I am happy that they are welcoming us to compete there, but I just think that they need to close up some of the loose ends before the next event.

Jeff,

Thanks for your input. I view all opinions as input. As long as its not outright bashing, I don't mind it. I appreciate it as its through the racers, teams, sponsors, fans, tracks, etc. input that this series will continue to grow. As I said during the driver's meeting, we can make the rules, provide the sponsors, and give the venue, the drivers will ultimately make the series what it is, and with the talent we have, I am confident we are headed in the right direction.

I do not recall the incident of the 68, but we will learn from it. When I get the video, I will take notes and see what we can do better and where we need to tighten up the reins.

Restarts are one of those areas which needs work. I think the single file restarts worked beautifully in saving cars and creating some solid racing. When we develop the 2007 rules, these "gray areas" will be solidified, through the help of tracks, officials, and competitors.

Thanks once again,

I do have to agree... Any restart with the 19 leading was a joke. He'd take off coming off of 2... string the field out... then slow down when he got to 3 and nearly wreck the whole field. That's what put Metzger out because he hit someone when the 19 stacked everyone up. I don't know about the flagman starting it, but at least have a spot like Riverhead or most tracks, like the middle of 3 and 4 at Riverhead... not an exact spot, but at least a generally consistant area.

FK
    Freddie Kraft
    ~66~Rest In Peace JB3~66~
    ~12~ TS Motorsports ~12~
    ~08~ Young Guns Motorsports ~08~

Yeah that was my major complaint, Freddie and I both were wondering after every restart what the heck was going on! I noticed a faded line in turn 4, we need to work on a starting point for next season. Glad to see all the drivers working together, except the 19 and 07 at the end, but it did seem like it was going to be expected after the on track incident. Glad the right people were in whoses ever ear it needed to be in and kept a situtation from becoming something bigger.
    Peter Milano
    PitStopPitbull.com
    www.pitstoppitbull.com

Turn2Guru

Lightbulb Transponders

We also need scorers who can make visual corrections to deals like this. Mike Coll is clearly in the wreck in turn one (photo #248) on lap 99 and was given his spot back to finish second. The wreck was in turn one so he was already scored on the final lap by the transponders. Going back a lap it would have to be up to the officials to determine who was in the wreck. There were a few situations in turn three where cars stopped for a blocked track and were sent to the back because they never made it back to the line for the transponder to pick them up. So they went to the rear assuming they were in the wreck. Just something that could use a little human input. I understand it is a judgment call, but stopping for a wreck and hitting nothing, or hitting the cars that were in the wreck should be a no brainer. Awesome job organizing this JA, we all had a great weekend. One of the best races of the weekend though was watching the tow vehicles and crew vehicles of Eric, Roger, Kevin and Scott dry the track after the typhoon we had that morning. These guys did an awesome job, about 42 miles were turned at this track in the drying process. At least it didn't snow.

Turn2Guru

Question Video

I just watched the video highlights on the Jam and the wreck on the last lap clearly shows the 07 never stopped or lost forward momentum at any time. He should have been the leader for the last lap or am I missing something here. Looks like the 19 comes down on him to cause the wreck so rough riding should not be an issue. Oh well it's over anyway.

"Mike Coll is clearly in the wreck in turn one (photo #248) on lap 99 and was given his spot back to finish second".

NOT! Caution Was out when fisher hit him as he was passing the wreck

I agree with mafap. Mike was avoiding the 2 wrecked cars, he didn't cause it or be involved in it. Look at video instead of the picture.
    If an accident blocks you and you're not the cause or part of, you get position back from last lap. Call was correct.
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    www.TheChromeHorn.com | RGrodski@thechromehorn.com
    The RacerHub Network
    www.thechromehorn.com | www.longislandjam.com
    Old modifieds never die.........They just get updated.........

Thread Information