Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Timers

Dwight Clock

First Timers

A special treat for me has always been to see someone win for the first time, particularly after years of trying. In July/August of 1964 Islip fans were treated to a new face in the modified winners circle three weeks running. It all started when Pat Moon steered the Gardner 86 to the win in the 25 lap modified feature on July 25. Moon had tried for twelve years to win at Islip but something always happened. The following Saturday, August 1, Mike Rubino turned the trick in his #21 coach. Rubino was from Jersey City, N.J. and competed infrequently at Islip. A former pro boxer, Mike also had a bit part in the classic movie "On the Waterfront" starring Marlon Brando. And finally, on August 8, Al Hansen ended twelve years of frustration with a win in his #4. Hansen had purchased the car new from Ed Flemke over the winter. Starting strong he finished second to Fred Harbach in the opening two shows at Islip and then proceeded to consistently be in the top five and top ten until finally breaking through for that first win in August. It was great to see!

I have to say to you Dwight, I grew up on the 'college' blocks south of Islip speedway and I love these stories. I can still remember every Saturday morning/early afternoon on the corner of Yale street and Freeman ave and watching all the cars in tow heading up to the race track. We would sell lemonade to the competitors for 25 cents a glass. Many of them would stop every Saturday. Please keep the stories coming all Winter.
    Thanks- Jim

Remember, don't drink and drive unless it's a golf ball.

Dwight Clock
    Thanks for the kind words, Jim. I will try to regularly post stories from the 60's and 70's here.

I'm with Golf Guy!!!!!!! These stories are great. I started going to Freeport in 1963 on Friday nights for the ARDC Midgets and then to Islip in 1965. These stories are bringing back great memories for me.
    I am not as good at dates as you are, but I remember somewhere around the late 60s or may be early 70s, Richie Donavan leading the feature in his beautiful Mustang fastback # 100. It was a very exciting race. I'm not sure what happened to the car, but coming off turn 4 for the checker, around he went. What a disappointment. I believe it would have been his first win. We were all pulling for him!!!!!!!
    May be I can join in on some of these early stories with you to help get thru the winter.

Dwight Clock
    Jump right in 310fig8! I missed a few years in the service. All of 1968 and 1970 and most of 1969. But anything you remember from back then is worth sharing. They were great times! I remember Richie Donovan but don't remember the night in question. Back in the mid sixties Islip & Riverhead ran an unofficial L.I. championship at Riverhead at the end of the season. Bill Park, in his rookie season in the mods, led one year until the fourth turn of the 35th and last lap until spinning out. It would have been his first career win. It took him 9 years to finally get it.

Elated

Who won the last LI championship in the modifieds???????? What year?????

Dwight Clock
    I'll venture a guess, and it is just that. Fred Harbach 1977.

Elated

Clue # 1 -- It was the last year for Islip.

Cliff_in_TX.
    Hi everyone!!! Wow, great site, brings back some fond memories...

I should know this, as I'm only 39 and can't blame the mental block on age, but I'm pretty sure it was the Flying Dutchman in '84...

Cliff_in_TX.
    Oh BTW, speaking of first timers, remember how they would give prizes away by calling your ticket #??? Well, we went week after week, year after year w/o winning a thing... then BAM!!! They called my ticket # 2 weeks in a row!!! I was on cloud 9, I thought that was so cool.

That was in, you guessed it, 1984.

OK, what did you win????
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    www.TheChromeHorn.com | RGrodski@thechromehorn.com
    The RacerHub Network
    www.thechromehorn.com | www.longislandjam.com
    Old modifieds never die.........They just get updated.........

Cliff_in_TX.
    The first week, it was an Islip speedway seat cushion, and the second week, it was 2 tickets to next weeks race!!

Awesome, still got the seat?
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    www.TheChromeHorn.com | RGrodski@thechromehorn.com
    The RacerHub Network
    www.thechromehorn.com | www.longislandjam.com
    Old modifieds never die.........They just get updated.........

Cliff_in_TX.
    Haha...nah, but it did make it San Antonio in '87 when I moved here.

Elated

Clue #2. Like my avatar??

Thread Information