Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Timers

Another first timer I remember is Paul Grodewald, a Figure 8 driver who tried for many years and failed to get a win. I believe he finally got his first one in 1984, and promptly retired from racing. I'm not positive about this, as it was a while back, but it seems to be the way I remember it.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

I know Paul ran few years at Riverhead after Islip closed as well.I know he won at least 1 more feature in a great battle with John Fortin.He sold his last car to Ron Harrison and that's when he eventually moved to California.Hope this helps

" A Dollar and a Dream"

RIP JBIII

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!!

Thanks, Neal, I certainly appreciate it. Maybe Riverhead is where he finally won that race, but again, I'm not positive.

Mortgage Guy
    Is this Islip only, or can we add first time winners at Riverhead???

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgage Guy
    Is this Islip only, or can we add first time winners at Riverhead???
    Or, you could start it as a thread under "Riverhead nostalgia". We wouldn't mind, and I assume you have an idea where to start, so go for it!

Cliff_in_TX.
    Quote Originally Posted by W. J.
    Another first timer I remember is Paul Grodewald, a Figure 8 driver who tried for many years and failed to get a win.

he earned his nickname given to him by Bob Finan...Paul"go for the wall" Grodewald... ... glad to see he put it all together for one

Dwight Clock
    One of the funniest things I ever saw involved Paul Grodewald at Islip. In a Figure 8 heat race he tangled with little John Kraft in the first turn. As soon as the cars came to a stop Grodewald bolted out of his car and took off after Kraft. The sight of Grodewald (6 feet plus) running after Kraft (about 5'3") was hilarious. Grodewald covered as much ground with one step as Kraft did with four! Thankfully officials intervened before Kraft was caught.

I REMEMBER NEAL THE WHEELS FIRST FIG.8 WIN AT ISLIP. ON THE COOL DOWN LAP, HE WAS T-BONED AND TORE THE REAR END OUT. BUT THAT DIDN'T DAMPIN HIS SPIRITS. DON'T EXACTLY REMEMBER THE YEAR, JUST SHOWIN' MY AGE ..
    " frank"
    VICKI

Thread Information