Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Islip video clip

randomrodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Clock View Post
    The 16 is probably Ted Wesnofske. The 38 is multi time NASCAR Modified champ Jerry Cook. The 9 is actually X9 and is George Wagner. Fred Harbach is in the X90. Fred was X89 until Norm Tosti began sponsoring him and then changed to X90.

Dwight, didn't Freddie's son run the X-90 for a couple of years while Freddie was running X-89. Then the X-90 was retired when Alan quit racing? (Allen)

Dwight Clock
    Quote Originally Posted by randomrodder View Post
    Dwight, didn't Freddie's son run the X-90 for a couple of years while Freddie was running X-89. Then the X-90 was retired when Alan quit racing? (Allen)
    You are dead on about that Random. Alan Harbach ran with some success for a few years. Younger son Richie started out about the same time in mini stocks or VW's and then ran the modified for a short time.

Last edited by W. J.; 05-24-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

how about # 6 Bobby lane aka ?
    Artie Schenk
    figure849@aol.com
    Crew Chief Figure 8 & Late Model #28
    2009 Inducted into the S.A.F.E.R. Hall of fame

Quote Originally Posted by W. J. View Post
    Alan Harbach actually ran the X89 until the RoC race at Pocono where he tangled with Tommy Baldwin, sending him out of the track. I don't recall seeing Alan run any more after that. Freddie was in the X90 at that time and all the races before, and since, right up until his retirement.
    Sorry WJ, I disagree with the before. See 2nd, 5th and 6th picture on this page.
    Fred Harbach
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    www.TheChromeHorn.com | RGrodski@thechromehorn.com
    The RacerHub Network
    www.thechromehorn.com | www.longislandjam.com
    Old modifieds never die.........They just get updated.........

randomrodder
    Quote Originally Posted by W. J. View Post
    Alan Harbach actually ran the X89 until the RoC race at Pocono where he tangled with Tommy Baldwin, sending him out of the track. I don't recall seeing Alan run any more after that. Freddie was in the X90 at that time and all the races before, and since, right up until his retirement.
    Pete mentioned that but i used to hang at Freddie's shop a lot and in the pits after the races at Islip. I know that Freddie did run the X-89 and maybe he did swap with Alan. But, I'm juggling my memory about us hanging out together and I can't "See" Alan in the X-89 but, I am getting old.

When Islip shut down we moved to the Head, after Evans and then Charlie's demise we as a family drifted away from the oval for a number of years. I buried myself back into street rodding where my roots were. It wasn't untill Pete started going to the track again that I started going, took me a good 8 years after he started back ay least. So I hadn't seen Freddie run in years.

randomrodder
    Quote Originally Posted by figure849 View Post
    how about # 6 Bobby lane aka ?
    Bobby was a heck of a guy. His son, Richie Wheeler and i were good buddies until Richie first moved up to Horseheads, Ny, then back here and then to Texas where we lost contact.
    Bobby would give the shirt off his back if he liked you.

I recall Bobby running his #6 Mod at Dover one year. I THINK it was 1976 and the mods were still running the superspeedways. It was the year that Troyer got sick and Bodine blew his engine. Bodine jumps into Troyer's car which was 6 laps down, makes up the 6 laps and wins the race.

The only Long Island mod to finish the race on the lead lap was Bobby who finished 6th. R.I.P. Bobby. (Or was it the race?)

randomrodder
    Quote Originally Posted by RGeeProductions View Post
    Sorry WJ, I disagree with the before. See 2nd, 5th and 6th picture on this page.
    Fred Harbach
    Looks like Quinn Volgraff standing on the other side of Freddie's car in the last photo.

do you know the story behind the racing name Bobby Lane
    Artie Schenk
    figure849@aol.com

randomrodder
    do you know the story behind the racing name Bobby Lane
    I'm sorry, I don't. i know it wasn't his real name. I can't say if Wheeler was. i know that Bobby and Richie's mother had split up, how long? I don't know that either. I didn't nor do i now, dwelve into people's personal lives unless they wish to speak about it. I did wonder about it though. But, through out racing history, it wasn't unusal for drivers to use a name that was different then their own.

I will tell you this though, he did some fantastic aluminum siding. I used him to do my parents house, he gave them some break and an absolutely flawless job.

Last edited by W. J.; 05-24-2008 at 10:22 AM.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

It has been a long time, But from how I remember Bobby telling he got his racing name from putting his and his wifes name together. Bob-elaine. I'm sure Tommy Kraft can verify or correct if I'm off a little on my account of the story.
    Artie Schenk
    figure849@aol.com

Captain History
    Alan Harbach ran #x89 after the 1981 Pocono R.o.C. consi encounter with Tom Baldwin. He won his last Riverhead Modified feature with that number in 1983.

randomrodder
    It has been a long time, But from how I remember Bobby telling he got his racing name from putting his and his wifes name together. Bob-elaine. I'm sure Tommy Kraft can verify or correct if I'm off a little on my account of the story.
    Thanks for that info, you are correct, his wife's name was/is Elaine. It's been a long and i have never been good with names.

randomrodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain History View Post
    Alan Harbach ran #x89 after the 1981 Pocono R.o.C. consi encounter with Tom Baldwin. He won his last Riverhead Modified feature with that number in 1983.
    Ok, so Alan did run the X-89, thanks. Like i posted to WJ, I couldn't recall. Thank you for clearing up the facts for me. CRS, you know.

Thread Information