Racerhub.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Mod Tour schedule

2007 Mod Tour schedule

NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Schedule Blends Tradition With Innovation In 2007
    * New Tracks: Twin State, Wall Township and Mansfield Speedways Added to 2007 Slate
    * New Format: Qualifying Races Scheduled at Wall Township, Twin State and Riverhead
    * Saturdays at NHIS: Open Wheel Excitement on Two NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series Weekends

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Dec. 14, 2006) – Long-time racing traditions share space on the calendar with new events, as the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour is set for a strong 2007 season.

The schedule begins with Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway’s annual “Icebreaker” event on Sun., April 15. The Icebreaker is the first of 16 championship points races planned in 2007. Another New England racing custom, the “Spring Sizzler” at Stafford Motor Speedway, in Stafford Springs, Conn., is set for Sun., April 29.

Following the Spring Sizzler at Stafford, three of the next six events will feature a new three-part “Flash” format. Those events include a trip to Wall Township (N.J.) Speedway on Sun., May 6, for what is being touted as “Thunder at the Shore,” and a mid-summer Sunday afternoon event at Twin State Speedway, in Claremont, N.H., on July 8. With this event, Twin State returns to the schedule for the first time since 1985. The third of these three special events will be held at Riverhead (N.Y.) Raceway, on Sat., Aug. 4.

The “Flash” events will include twin qualifying races – one for the even-numbered drivers in the point standings and one for odd-numbered drivers in the standings – in place of traditional time trials. The top finishers from each qualifying race will transfer into a feature event, in which the main prize money and championship points will be awarded. Starting positions for the feature events will be based on finishing positions of the qualifying races, with the drivers from the faster of the two races lined up on the inside row.

The qualifying races and feature events at Wall and Twin State will be 50 laps each, while the “Flash” event at Riverhead is scheduled to include twin 60-lap qualifying races and a 70-lap feature event.

“The 2007 Whelen Modified Tour schedule will bring new excitement and generate new interest in what is already one of NASCAR’s most popular and historic touring series,” said George Silbermann, NASCAR’s managing director of racing operations. “The teams and drivers on the Whelen Modified Tour produce some of the best racing in our entire sport and this schedule is designed to showcase what NASCAR Modified racing is all about – incredible racing with incredible machines.

“Long-time fans and new fans alike will find plenty of opportunities to see the Whelen Modified Tour at its very best.”

A top executive from Connecticut-based Whelen Engineering, title sponsor of the Tour since 2005, echoed Silbermann’s sentiments.

“I can’t tell you how pleased we are to be part of the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour during this exciting time,” said Phil Kurze, vice president of motorsports for Whelen Engineering. “The 2007 schedule presents the Whelen Modified Tour to fans in new and exciting ways, while also respecting and continuing many of the longstanding traditions that make Modified racing unique.”

Other 2007 schedule highlights include:

* In between these innovative “Flash” events, the Whelen Modified Tour makes return visits to Stafford on Fri., May 25, and Thompson on Thurs., June 21, along with the first of two stops at the 1.058-mile New Hampshire International Speedway (NHIS), in Loudon, N.H., on Sat., June 30.

* Both events at NHIS will be held in conjunction with the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, offering up-and-coming Modified drivers the opportunity to showcase their skills before NASCAR NEXTEL Cup teams and sponsors – and providing an exciting open-wheel racing experience for NHIS fans on Saturday afternoons.

* After the final “Flash” event at Riverhead, the schedule continues Fri., Aug. 10, at Stafford, and Thurs., Aug. 16, at Thompson, before heading to another new venue: Mansfield (Ohio) Motorsports Speedway on Sat., Aug. 25.

* The Mansfield event will be held in conjunction with the NASCAR Grand National Division, Busch East Series in an exciting Saturday afternoon NASCAR doubleheader at one of the nation’s premier state-of-the-art short tracks.

* The Whelen Modified Tour travels to Martinsville (Va.) Speedway on Labor Day weekend, for a combination event that includes the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour for a third consecutive year.

* The schedule concludes with return visits to Thompson on Sun., Sept. 9; NHIS on Sat., Sept. 15; Stafford on Sun., Sept. 30; and the traditional season finale at Thompson, on Sun., Oct. 14.

The Whelen Modified Tour features lightweight, open-wheeled racing machines that have been part of NASCAR since its first season in 1948. Throughout its storied history, the NASCAR Modified division has proven to be a tremendous training and developmental program for future stars. Todd Bodine, the 2006 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series champion, began his career in the Modified division along with his racing brothers, Geoff and Brett Bodine. Drivers Jimmy Spencer, Mike McLaughlin and Steve Park also began their careers in the Modifieds, along with NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series crew chiefs Greg Zipadelli and Tommy Baldwin Jr.

In 2006, Mike Stefanik made history by winning his seventh Whelen Modified Tour championship. Combined with his two previous NASCAR Grand National Division, Busch East Series titles, Stefanik’s accomplishment tied him with another Modified legend and nine-time NASCAR champion, Richie Evans, as NASCAR’s all-time championship leader.

For more information, contact:
    Jeremy Davidson, NASCAR Public Relations, (386) 681-4173 or jdavidson@nascar.com

2007 NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Schedule

Sun., April 15 – Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway
    Sun., April 29 – Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford Springs, Conn.
    Sun., May 6 – Wall Township (N.J.) Speedway*
    Fri., May 25 – Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford Springs, Conn.
    Thurs., June 21 – Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway
    Sat., June 30 – New Hampshire International Speedway, Loudon, N.H.
    Sun., July 8 – Twin State Speedway, Claremont, N.H.*
    Sat., Aug. 4 – Riverhead (N.Y.) Raceway**
    Fri., Aug. 10 – Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford Springs, Conn.
    Thurs., Aug. 16 – Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway
    Sat., Aug. 25 – Mansfield (Ohio) Motorsports Speedway
    Sat., Sept. 1 – Martinsville (Va.) Speedway ***
    Sun., Sept. 9 – Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway
    Sat., Sept. 15 – New Hampshire International Speedway, Loudon, N.H.
    Sun., Sept. 30 – Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford Springs, Conn.
    Sun., Oct. 14 – Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway

Fri.-Sat., Oct. 19-20 – “Save the date”

* = “Flash” event featuring twin 50s qualifying format and 50-lap feature race

** = “Flash” event featuring twin 60s qualifying format and 70-lap feature race

*** = Combination event with NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE – SUBJECT TO CHANGE
    "points don't buy food, and trophies taste like s***!"- Ed Flemke Sr.

The "Flash" event looks very exciting and different. The question I have about that is, what happens to the locals that are not in the "point standings"? Do they get a chance to qualify and if so how?

I would guess they are at the back of the field.

Mike Fields
    As I understand it, they will pick for starting positions as they come through the back gate.

hmmmmmmmmmmm 2 quailying races? What if there are more cars then two races? I'm kinda excited about this, we get to see more mods involved and more action in the 2 races for the feature, if I read it right. lol
    Peter Milano
    PitStopPitbull.com
    www.pitstoppitbull.com

It should definitely make for a more interesting series of events for short track qualification on the WMT. Maybe more locals will try to qualify and run WMT races on off dates just to keep in the top 40 in points? They have at least 2 races to try for (Ice Breaker & Spring Sizzler) before Riverhead's regular season starts.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood."
    "A View from theCrossroads" available at www.pkbooksinc.com, www.amazon.com and www.barnesandnoble.com. Look for "A View from the Crossroads" due out in August.

THAT IS A GOOD IDEA... IT GIVES FOR MORE EXCITeMENT AND BETTER FINISHES... ALSO, SO THAT MEANS NO MORE QUALIFYING 2 LAPS- JusT THESE 50 OR 60 LAP RACES???

GREG MCGOWAN WALL SPEEDWAY ASST. STARTER

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMac45
    THAT IS A GOOD IDEA... IT GIVES FOR MORE EXCITeMENT AND BETTER FINISHES... ALSO, SO THAT MEANS NO MORE QUALIFYING 2 LAPS- JusT THESE 50 OR 60 LAP RACES???

GREG MCGOWAN WALL SPEEDWAY ASST. STARTER
    For the three races. I'm sure more info will be available Saturday night
    "points don't buy food, and trophies taste like s***!"- Ed Flemke Sr.

I love this format!! Nice

" A Dollar and a Dream"

RIP JBIII

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!!

Jones44

Thumbs down

50-60 lap qualifying races could be interesting (even though I personally prefer watching time trials rather than heats), but only a 70 lap feature for the WMT? I'll spend my entertainment dollar elsewhere that night (and yes, I would have considered attending if the feature was 150-200).

Jonesey, I was looking forward to seeing you that day too. Oh well, we can't please them all. But I'll tell you, the last race ran half the laps under caution and no one really raced until the last 25 - 30 laps.

An old friend once told me, "It's okay to try something different. You can always go back to the old way if it doesn't work".
    "A View from theCrossroads" available at www.pkbooksinc.com, www.amazon.com and www.barnesandnoble.com. Look for "A View from the Crossroads" due out in August.

In this format will yellow flag laps count?????

No matter what the format we all need to be there if we want tour races in the future.

I can't wait.

And the rumor still is the October TBA race is California.

I don't see that it would be possible to count cautions in a feature that short

Thread Information