Thread: Rules question regarding engine fire extinguisher access

rcp_ny

Question Rules question regarding engine fire extinguisher access

My new car has quick-release hood and trunk pins. I know the rules say this...
    # Hood and trunk must be chained shut
    # Hood must have hole for fire safety if wheel wells are retained.
    ...but I recall back at the Labor Day race pre-race safety inspection, Pappy suggested for the future that I use hood pins so I wouldn't have to cut a hole in the hood.

I also realize that Pappy is no longer our safety inspector. So I'm wondering if this rules interpretation is still true.

So specifically I have 3 questions:

1) If I have quick-release hood pins, and still have the wheel wells, do I need to cut a hole in the hood or not?

2) If I have quick-release hood pins, do I still need to chain the hood or not?

3) If I have quick-release trunk pins, do I still need to chain the trunk or not?

I'm hoping the answer is "not" for all three... it'll look much nicer that way.

NEETS-1
    I'm sorry Ron but the hood will still have to be chained and w/ an access hole if you retain the wheel wells. If the car takes a hit and the pins become entangled as to not be able to open, the fire crew will not be able to gain access to the engine area.
    I have seen those quick release pins break or pull through w/ some hits and the hood fly off or hang on to one side like a guillotine.
    I know you want your race car to look good....but I want YOU to look good afterwards if an incident happens.

Billy has made some very valid points. It totally makes sense to have the hole into the hood for those reasons and the chains for safety.
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    www.TheChromeHorn.com | RGrodski@thechromehorn.com
    The RacerHub Network
    www.thechromehorn.com | www.longislandjam.com
    Old modifieds never die.........They just get updated.........

rcp_ny

no problem!

Thanks for the quick answer Billy!

I still have to cut the transponder hole too, so I'll have myself a big cuttin' party one of these days.

Oh, and it's gonna take a lot more than that to make me look good... before, during, OR after the race!

I so can't wait for 4/29!

Thread Information