Thread: Joie Ray, of Louisville, KY. Anybody known if he raced in NY area?

capitalcity300

Joie Ray, of Louisville, KY. Anybody known if he raced in NY area?

Joie Ray, of Louisville, KY died April 13th from respiratory failure. Age 83.
    Black race car driver. Joie Ray (Joseph Reynolds Ray, Jr.) was one of the nation’s pioneer open wheel and Stock car race drivers. His racing career spanned 17 seasons (1947-1963) as a Sprint, Midget, and Stock car driver. Ray was the first African American AAA license holder and ran in the Central States Racing Association (CRSA), The International Motor Contest Association (IMCA), United States Auto Club (USAC) and the Midwest Dirt Track Racing Association. After learning of a Sprint car for sale for $450, Ray placed a dollar bet on the number 450 and won $500. He used his prize money to buy his first race car in 1946, the #7 Joe’s Special .
    Anybody known if he raced in NY area?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Open Wheel Joie Ray 001.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Open Wheel Joie Ray 002.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	629  
    Last edited by capitalcity300; 04-21-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Dwight Clock
    I don't believe that he did race in NY. I met Mr. Ray at Eldora in 2004 and had a long chat with him. Except for an occasional foray elsewhere his career was largely played out in the midwest. We resumed our conversation at Terre Haute in 2005 and I don't recall him mentioning anything about NY even though we talked about places that he had raced. Joie Ray was one of the most humble and nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and is highly thought of by the racing fraternity here in the midwest. You can read about Joie Ray in the book entitled "Gold & Glory" that can be found at the online book stores of most major racing museums. May he RIP.

capitalcity300

Thanks for Joie Ray's racing info.

Thanks for Joie Ray's racing info.
    I attached (2 photos above) on Joie Ray's #7 "Joe’s Special", his first race car in 1946.
    Even after Joie Ray's death on April 13, 2007, there are so-called sports writers, listed Joie Ray (Joseph Reynolds Ray, Jr.) as the first African American or black race driver to race NASCAR.
    Which is wrong!!!

There's a tossed up between black race drivers: Charlie Scott and Wendell Scott as being the first African American or black race driver to race NASCAR.

Charlie Scott's first NASCAR Grand National race number 6 of 56, February 26, 1956 at Beach & Road Course, Daytona Beach, FL., 39 laps* on a 4.100 mile road course (159.9 miles) Started 14th position, Finished 19th positon, # 300, sponsor/car owner Carl Kiekhaefer, '55 Chrysler.

Wendell Scott's first NASCAR Grand National race number 6 of 52 March 4, 1961 at Piedmont Interstate Fairgrounds, Spartanburg, SC., 200 laps on a .500 mile dirt track (100.0 miles). Started 9th position, Finished 17th position, #87, sponsor/onwer Wendell Scott, '60 Chevrolet, race 52 laps, oil pressure.

Wendell Scott is the first African American or black race driver to win an NASCAR race. Grand National race number 3 of 62, December 1, 1963 at Speedway Park, Jacksonville, FL. 200 laps* on a .500 mile dirt track (100.0 miles). Started 15th, Finished 1st, #34, sponsor/owner Wendell Scott, '62 Chevrolet, raced 202 laps, won $1,000, led 27 laps.

Joie Ray (Joseph Reynolds Ray, Jr.) made racing history, not made up racing history, before he died, he tried to correct it!!!
    Last edited by capitalcity300; 04-22-2007 at 01:08 AM.

Thread Information