Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richie Evans Question.

Richie Evans Question.

Here is one for the veterans of Long Island Racing. According to Wikipedia, The Rapid Roman had 17 Career wins at Islip from 1970-1983, I know I saw him win about 5 of those, in maybe 7 or 8 races total. My question is, about how many races total do you think Evans ran in his career at Islip to win those 17 events? It was amazing that he could come to this little track, and dominate the way he did.
    I Love The Modifieds!!!!!

I think he ran 17.

Mike Fields
    That sounds about right!

Last edited by W. J.; 05-24-2008 at 10:35 AM.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

Dwight Clock
    In all honesty, and this is just a guess, Richie probably ran no more than 45 to 50 races at Islip. He ran the two All Star League races each year until that series folded after 1973. He came for all double point shows which NASCAR limited to two per season. IIRC Richie first appeared at Islip in 1969 and ran there until it closed in 1985. That would add up to almost 45 races and he may have made a couple of others during the years. No matter what the number the man was amazing. My favorite Richie memory at Islip is when he drew the 27th starting position for an All Star 300 and, with 30 cars on that little track, had the lead before 100 laps were done.

Richie impressed me in a way no other driver ever has. With all the true superstars of modified racing we had on Long Island whenever Richie showed up at Islip my automatic feeling was "okay, who's going to finish second". I used to have, but have not seen in years, unless it's a slide, a photo of the orange cab-over hauler Richie used for years with the trailer behind it towing the backup car. I think I took it at Trenton in 76 during the Race Of Champions. It's either lost or could be a slide. By the way, if anyone has the ability to scan slides I have a bunch from that race. I was there on my honeymoon, one day in Niagra Falls, three days in Trenton.

Rick

I can scan slides.
    If you go to the races Saturday, I will be there.
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    www.TheChromeHorn.com | RGrodski@thechromehorn.com
    The RacerHub Network
    www.thechromehorn.com | www.longislandjam.com
    Old modifieds never die.........They just get updated.........

Only problem, Islip closed after the 1984 season.
    Consistancy is the key.

So, Dwight really loved the place, and kept going a year after they closed. Who could blame him.
    I Love The Modifieds!!!!!

Dwight Clock
    Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Jitney View Post
    So, Dwight really loved the place, and kept going a year after they closed. Who could blame him.
    Actually, I stopped going after '82. The death of close friend Ernie Maynor and the infield accident that took the life of Fred Harbach's crewman Frankie hit me pretty hard. I began working for the URC sprints in '83. I guessed at '85 as the year they closed.

That's alright Dwight, even the best of us "old folks"[you, me, WJ...LOL] have senior moments
    Consistancy is the key.

I
    Last edited by W. J.; 05-24-2008 at 10:36 AM.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

randomrodder
    I still have visions of the old Islip Speedway sign on the old 4 lane Sunrise H'way. Now i know why I lost my taste for cookies.

Wife, Pete, daughter and myself went every week from 1969 through to 1984. Of course daughter and Pete came along in 73 and 76 respectively.

Those were the days, Freeport, Islip and Riverhead. Racing on Weds, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

And today we ask where are the fields for a Saturday night race?

I'd go cry in my beer now but I gave that up back in 79.

Captain History
    The Richie Evans wins on Wikipedia match with the Richie book by Bones Bourcier. I know that as I helped to compile them.

Richie I'll bring the slides with me this week. I actually had them all with me this past week but hadn't read this till tonight. And I do have the two slides of Richie Evans but I was wrong. It's two car carriers, not one and a trailer, lol. The memory is a wonderful thing.

Rick

Thread Information