Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tires (SPT)

LEAD LAP
    Matt,

How much, (if any), of that $115. is going into the Track Owner's pockets ?

Perhaps that's where the rest of our potential "savings" is going.

i am not sure of that i am sure some is
    Matt
    Neets official/ head flagger
    Driver/owner redneck racing enterprise #32
    www.RRE32.com
    www.redneckracingenterprise.bravehost.com

Quote Originally Posted by LEAD LAP View Post
    Matt, How much, (if any), of that $115. is going into the Track Owner's pockets?
    They are entitled to make money selling tires. The business takes place on their property, using their electric, etc. Would you, as a business person, allow something like this to be run at your place of business for free?
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

WJ, think you answered that wrong, he said the track owners pockets, not TS. Dont think the track has anything to do with the tires, its all TS hence the reason why the tires are being sold on the TS hauler property and also having their own trailer come to the track each week. And I dont think he is making hardly any profit for each tire. (cost of tire, disposal for each tire and whatever profit for each tire) But correct me if im wrong....

If TS sends a truck to the property, then they are doing business on Riverhead Raceway property, right? That's the basis of my post.

Good question, wonder what the deal is on that? If there is any....

LEAD LAP
    First of all, I'm not saying TS doesn't deserve to make a profit out of the tire-selling business. Read the post again, WJ. THEY ARE the the one's doing ALL the work. Good for them for stepping in and trying to make it easy for all the teams.

What's ridiculous is if the Cromarty's have their hands in TS pockets.
    Having a tire distributor on site to suply the teams is a NECESSARY function to having a racetrack, as is Dennis with the parts, and the Fuel Supply guys.

How about if there's NO tire guy on site, NO parts guy on site, and NO fuel guy on site. How successfull will their little empire be then ?

Collecting a "kick back", IF this is happening, which I'm inclined to guess that it is, is just another way they suck every last penny out of the teams for the "privilege" of racing there, IE: making them millions.

So, to get back to the TOPIC in hand. All the "hype" about tires being significantly cheaper this season was just a myth. Or, maybe they really are cheaper, up to the point before you add in the "Track Owners Tax".

Again, no knock on TS. Ten dollars is ten dollars. I'm sure they did their best at the bottom line.

If I'm wrong about the Track making money off of the tires, come out and say so. If I'm right, have the courage, or a least some common courtesy, to tell us that's the way its going.

But I'm sure we'll never know. After all, why should we? We're just the poor suckers footing the bill.

Probably a one time fee, the same as Dennis and Fred must pay, you don't allow someone into your place of business and sell a product to YOUR customers without getting something somewhere. And that i will guarantee you

LEAD LAP
    So how much of that $ 115. goes to the Track. Ten cents a tire ? Ten dollars a tire ? I'm sure it's not at the ten cents end of the range.

Yeah, I know there's disposal fees. What if you take your old stuff home with you. Do you save another 5 percent off your bill ?

If you get your tires during the week and mount them yourself, are you saving anything substantial ?

Are you still paying "royalties" to the Track if you drive out to Calverton during the week and buy them away from their golden property ?

Quote Originally Posted by LEAD LAP View Post
    Are you still paying "royalties" to the Track if you drive out to Calverton during the week and buy them away from their golden property?
    You would have to call TS to see if there is a discount for going to their location and buying them. As for TS making a profit on tires, I never said they shouldn't. If anyone should, it would be them. Lead Lap and Turbo,you both need to re-read my posts.

As far as mounting them yourself at home, it will save you money, but there is no mounting fee in the cost of the tire. That would be extra for anyone who does it for you.

As for paying a 'tax' to the track, maybe you should ask Dennis, Fred and Sonny if they pay a fee to operate their businesses in the pits. My guess is you'll hear three 'yes' answers. Then ask Charlie on the Ice Cream truck, and all the others with concessions on the property if they pay a fee to operate there. More yeses will ring out.

Just to put things into perspective a little bit here...
    Tires are less expensive for 2008 than they were in 2007. Perhaps it is only $10 a set, but consider this: I have spoken to several people who own and run auto repair businesses. On average, for regular DOT street tires for their customers' cars, they are paying between $13 and $18 per tire more this year than they did last year for the exact same tire (August 2007 vs. March 2008). It's a shame, but keep in mind that petroleum is a major "ingredient" in tires...you see what has happened to fuel prices... Plus, everything needs to get transported here on to Long Island...more gas, and now even higher tolls. It is fortunate that the price of tires at Riverhead did not go up.

As far as finding out what - if anything - is collected for any concession that is run on track property, I don't think you will ever get an answer. I know that I have yet to see a company (other than a public company) that reveals to anyone its finances. If outside vendors want to do business there, it is up to them to accept whatever is offered, or to negotiate their own deal. For the vendors, it is a cost of doing business, just like paying rent or lease fees or a mortgage on their own property.
    Tracy Chirico
    LongIslandJam.com Editor-at-Large

www.longislandjam.com
    tchirico@longislandjam.com

RacerHub Network
    www.longislandjam.com | www.poconothunder.net | www.thechromehorn.com

Bethel Motor Speedway Business Operations Manager
    www.bethelmotorspeedway.com
    tracy.chirico@bethelmotorspeedway.com

Driver, #83 4/6 cylinder enduro truck

To be clear, my post about businesses that operate on track property said, "Ask them if they pay a fee." I never said to ask them how much, because that is no one's business but theirs and the track owners. I still say, all will acknowledge that they do.

Thread Information