Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chargers and Late Models

Chargers and Late Models

How many charger guys would consider the late models and chargers combinding classes.I just want to hear from the charger guys what do they think.Im sure they are going to try to equal stuff out like weight and tires but hear are the differences i have.Wheel base 108 to 105,Tube chassis compaired to metric chassis,The motor difference is to much to write down but big motor difference,clutches 10,000 rpm compaired to triple disc,msd boxes and billet distributors,intakes,Quick change rears,wide 5,s,coil overs,bigger headers and exaust,ajustable trailing arms,spring loaded-rubber bisket trailing arms,tork arms,electric fans,Huge front and rear geometry differences.THats just some of the differences.What do you charger guys think.I already heard from the 17x strickly stock anyone else.
    Chris Turbush

Bub I'm not being a jack as$ I said it in the Late Model post and I would like an honest answer from a guy that knows what he's talking about(you). Forget what they have verses what you have. The question is can we slow them down 1/2 a second and speed you up 1/2 a second??? If so what difference does geometry, coil overs, headers, clutches,ect. If we can get a Late Model to go 14.5 and a Charger to go 14.5 at a minimal cost. What difference does it make?? It just means you can go as fast at 1/2 the price. A 14.5 is a 14.5 no matter what's under the body. So my question is, Can it be done??? If not the Chargers may be in the same boat as the Late Models this time next year, you guys can actually help eachother if you can make it work.
    There's nothing like an open wheel modified

fastfrank88

I say no to charger and late model merge

Chris, I agree with you that the late models need to be allowed to race at our track. I also agree with you that the late models should not be merged with the chargers. The late model engines are larger(358), they are also allowed to change the stroke and install longer and lighter connecting rods, they can use msd and magneto iginitions, and there is no crankshaft weight rule. Even if you put them on our 8" tires, they will still be able to carry more speed through the corners because of all of the adjustments to their suspension that they can make (rear steer, trailing arm angles) and the 105" wheel base.

Back in the mid 90's they tried to run late models with the chargers at a race of champions at flemington, I believe your dad was there, it was a wreck fest. After the first couple of laps the late models ran over all the charger cars. I know flemington was a different size and style of track but I think the results will be the same here at RR.

I think the track should alternate the shows between the sk's and late models, it might give the late model guys a chance to rebuild their car count. I want to see the late models race at RR but NOT with the chargers.

frank scimeca

Well said, Frank, you hit ALL the points that need to be mentioned. These types of cars have been 'blended' before with mixed results, usually not favorable to either.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

Turn2Guru

Car Counts

Everyone keeps stating that the Late Models had such low car counts, they had the same amount of cars as the Chargers and Figure Eights in the first 11races. Also the Race of champions at Flemington was one race out of the year, they allowed Chargers to run but really made little attempt to even them out with the Late Models. If they choose to merge the two divisions, alot can be done to speed up the Chargers and also slow down the Late Models. May be a big difference in chassis but time wise not that far off. 1 sec. difference in time trials. 1/2 sec. added for the Chargers, 1/2 sec. off for the Late Models. There would have to be a test session to see how much you can get with the Chargers for the least amount of money. Then do what is needed to slow the Late Models down to those times. It can be done. Also there are already three cars that beat up on the Charger field each week why not a few more.

if you put the chargers on the 10" tire with a 650 carb they should pick up more than a 1/2 second or put them in the high 12 to mid 13 sec range overall and if the weight went up to 3200 on the late models it should slow them up a half second (that adds 250 lbs) which would be a 13 second lap or worse. it is worth a try

I can not fit 10" tires on my car.
    I can not get my car to hook up off the corner with the power I have now.
    I can not lighten my car without loosing left side weight percentage.

I say 10 in tire both divisons 350 cfm 2 barrel for the late models and a weight break for the chargers and a add on weight rule for the current late models. With time trials the first 3 weeks to avoid sandbagging and a rule adjustment after each first 3 weeks to get the cars closer if need be. Why not run a couple of cars during the swapmeet to do some comparing so you have a baseline to start from jmo

Quote Originally Posted by BOWATCHER View Post
    I say 10 in tire both divisons 350 cfm 2 barrel for the late models and a weight break for the chargers and a add on weight rule for the current late models. With time trials the first 3 weeks to avoid sandbagging and a rule adjustment after each first 3 weeks to get the cars closer if need be. Why not run a couple of cars during the swapmeet to do some comparing so you have a baseline to start from jmo
    Bo knows Chargers!!!

Great suggestion.

But, who would be able to have their cars ready to even run during the swap meet?

As of right now, there is no scheduled date for a swap meet.
    Tracy Chirico
    LongIslandJam.com Editor-at-Large

www.longislandjam.com
    tchirico@longislandjam.com

RacerHub Network
    www.longislandjam.com | www.poconothunder.net | www.thechromehorn.com

Bethel Motor Speedway Business Operations Manager
    www.bethelmotorspeedway.com
    tracy.chirico@bethelmotorspeedway.com

Driver, #83 4/6 cylinder enduro truck

bo gunning lolo keep it simple .You know how they work around here.Cant ask for anything.timetrails are out.Lets work together as racers if walter, mike and jim let the late models put 8 "tires that keeps cost down. Horsepower for the late models is to much for there 10" tires now.8" will do the trick.For the charger guys give us a little more power 650 carb.For the chargers that can't hook up dont worry LM won't either They will be in the same boat. My piont is that LM will be sitting home this year and we the next if we dont do something.I raced with them with my car before and we weren't off .Again The new latemodel class at the head will need a tweak but in 2010 we will be ready.This year the rule book for the LM stay the same but a new tire size and the chargers match the LM wieght and 650 carb.KEEP IT ALIVE.

the late models can definitely by slowed down and the chargers made faster and a 4 barrel is not the answer.

late models 8" wheels, unported 2101 will knock the hp down, and make them 100 pounds heavier than the chargers with only 54%left side and 51% rear, and a gear rule should slow them down at least a 1/2 second.

charges bigger intake ie victor jr., electric fans, msd, 7.5 clutch w/153 tooth flywheel, fab spindles and lower control arms, better brake calipers, 2950lbs 57%left side, 6.5" spoiler.

these suggestions should level the playing field between the 2 cars with out costing either a ton of money.

lots of these parts on ebay for not a lot of money.
    Last edited by LeadingEdgeFab; 11-02-2008 at 12:34 AM.

Some good suggestions, I hope the track has the fore-site to make the changes and allow the classes to combine.

I know its not the answer for everyone but maybe it gets the track a 20+ car field, some heats and good racing.

Plus I hope they use the Late Model purse so there is some incentive for the Late Model guys to make the changes.

Just curious, would the cars with the changed rules make teh cars legal anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Just curious, would the cars with the changed rules make teh cars legal anywhere else?
    Not too likely. There are changes most in both divisions have to make NOW to run elsewhere. Imagine what this hybrid race car will face afterwards! JMO

Thread Information