Racerhub.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Oswego

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,618

    Oswego

    Maybe with Thompson leaving the weekend of Septemeber 12th open, Oswego and the ROC should jump right in and schedule the big ROC race for that weekend.

  2. #2
    ericb160
    That would be NICE!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    765
    If that were to happen, nascar would just have to find a race for that weekend. ---oozes cynicism---
    Pork Roll is very important to me. Please respect that.
    _____________________________
    2008 and 2009 Lirpasti Cup Champion and Touched Trio Pick-5 Genius

    2010 Touched Trio Top-5 Standings:
    Linda 1st 381 points
    Tbax 2nd 380 points
    Axel 3rd 327 points

    2010 WAS NOT the same for Axel...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    319
    Sounds good to me !!

  5. #5
    numonemodfan

    Oswego Race of Champs

    would be good to see all the mods at Oswego.

    back to being a true Race of Champions
    like the good old days

    im new here to posting so if you dont already know
    i have a little photo site if you want to check it out

    http://dyerphotos.smugmug.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    489
    By moving the date you are only going to pick up 4 or 5 modifieds. The ROC has lost its luster since going to Oswego and is basically a New York race now and the purse has not kept up with the times. The ROC should pay $25,000 to win then you would see an increase in the Modified field.

    The new ROC is the North-South Shootout at Concord, NC . Great mixture of Modified Race teams on a neutral race track. Just like the original ROC races at neutral sites like Langhorne, Trenton and Pocono.

  7. #7
    numonemodfan
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD11RACER View Post
    By moving the date you are only going to pick up 4 or 5 modifieds. The ROC has lost its luster since going to Oswego and is basically a New York race now and the purse has not kept up with the times. The ROC should pay $25,000 to win then you would see an increase in the Modified field.

    The new ROC is the North-South Shootout at Concord, NC . Great mixture of Modified Race teams on a neutral race track. Just like the original ROC races at neutral sites like Langhorne, Trenton and Pocono.
    so your saying that the southern mods are better than the RoC mods???

    what are you kidding

    Lost its Luster???
    can you name a better track for the mods?
    it is a great track and a great race
    your never going to have all the best cars at one place anymore.....its a shame but it doesnt seem that it will ever happen again like the good old days like pocono 3/4 mile race

    the north south race is great but dont blame moving the Race of Champions to Oswego

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,618

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    524
    My personal dislike for Oswego Speedway aside, I have to agree with Mod11racer on his general point. It (the ROC 200)is largely made up with the NY asphalt modified teams that compete on that tour plus a few from NJ and PA
    who venture up for the event. I live in Oneida Co,NY and outside of the Storace car being maintained in Rome there are no mod teams that are from around here. This was home to guys named Evans, Cook, Lazzarro and a bunch more. No more "racing" between states chasing NASCAR points as the tour format has made that practice unnesessary.Eastern NY has no paved tracks, the two northern ones don't run mods leaving Oswego as the only "centrally" located one to race at. Modified racing in general isn't what it used to be (stating the obvious).
    the ROC rules!! / Pacin ain't Racin
    " honey!! I can't sleep, turn on the CUP race will ya?"

  10. #10
    numonemodfan
    Quote Originally Posted by uticamike View Post
    My personal dislike for Oswego Speedway aside, I have to agree with Mod11racer on his general point. It (the ROC 200)is largely made up with the NY asphalt modified teams that compete on that tour plus a few from NJ and PA
    who venture up for the event. I live in Oneida Co,NY and outside of the Storace car being maintained in Rome there are no mod teams that are from around here. This was home to guys named Evans, Cook, Lazzarro and a bunch more. No more "racing" between states chasing NASCAR points as the tour format has made that practice unnesessary.Eastern NY has no paved tracks, the two northern ones don't run mods leaving Oswego as the only "centrally" located one to race at. Modified racing in general isn't what it used to be (stating the obvious).
    Personal Dislike?????

    why do you dislike Oswego so much?
    i don't think there is a central location for the mods, don't think there ever was..........
    At least someone took the bull by the horn and is running a Race of Champions. If the good old boys(at NASCAR) would get their heads out of their asses and not try and compete with the ROC (and maybe support it a little)we could get all of the best cars in one place...till then "We got what we got"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59

    Elated race of champions?

    They say that BRUTON SMITH loves the Mods so why does,t he have a real race of champions at loudon paying a good purse open style like Trenton did in the 70s.I think they would pack the place if done right.Nascar wouldn.t do it because they are scared of the Mods already just listen to the fans in the stands at Loudon.The real race fans are all saying that the mods are the best show of the weekend and most aren"t even staying for the cup race.If you really think Nascar really gives a rats rump about the mods you are sadly mistaken.They are to busy trying to keep their sacred cow cup series from sinking as they continue to fill their pockets . Another example is nascar saying no to Verizon sponsoring Penske racing. Way to go nascar chasing away sponsors to protect their own sponsor nextel.Ireally think its whatever is good for them and too bad for the rest,mods included.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    617
    Would the old point chasing system work in todays age? With all the tracks running mods and all the fans crying for more big open shows why wouldn't it work?

  13. #13
    Fisha695
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel 3 View Post
    Another example is nascar saying no to Verizon sponsoring Penske racing. Way to go nascar chasing away sponsors to protect their own sponsor nextel..
    Yes because Winston didn't have the same exact clause in their contract, and neither did Anheuser-Busch and Craftsman.....

    That exclusivity clause as been in the Cup Entitlement contracts since 1971.

    Oh and Verizon isn't being run-off, they are doing the same thing that Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro does, and Penske IRL did/does with Marlboro, and they are doing it for the next 2 years. And for what it's worth, as long as it does not say "Verizon Wireless" or "Verizon Cellular" they can run it on the car.

    Plus I'm pretty sure if you were paying Millions per year to have your company's name on the series you'd be dang sure to take whatever precautions needed to ensure that only your brand was the one being seen.

    As far as where I'd move the ROC from Oswego I'd move it over to either Jennerstown Speedway or Lake Erie Speedway (progressive banking, could make for some real tight racing), although Jennerstown doesn't run Modifieds that I know of, and Lake Erie runs those weird IMCA style asphalt modifieds.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,618

    ROC Race

    I see on Oswego's website that the ROC weekend is scheduled for a Saturday and Sunday. Will the big race be on a Sunday afternoon this year?

    Anyone know?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    319
    Yes here the Race Weekend Schedule

    59th ANNUAL SUNOCO RACE OF CHAMPIONS SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

    Thursday, September 10th

    4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Pre-registration.

    Friday, September 11th

    9:00 a.m. Pit Gates Open

    10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Paid Open Practice (all classes)

    4:30 p.m. Practice for Friday classes

    4:30 p.m. Grandstand Gates Open

    5:30 p.m. Drivers meeting for teams competing Friday.

    6:30 p.m. Qualifying heats in the following order:

    - Mini Stocks

    - SST Sportsman Modifieds

    - Pure/Factory Stocks

    - Mini Stock Consolation (as needed)

    - SST Sportsman Modified Consolation(s)

    - Mini Stock Feature – 20 laps

    - SST Sportsman Modified 100

    - Pure/Factory Stock – 25 laps
    Saturday, September 12th

    10:00 a.m. Pit Gates Open.

    11:30 a.m. Grandstand Gates Open.

    11:30 a.m. Practice for Saturday divisions

    Competing classes

    Late Model qualifying and feature 150

    NORA Small Block Supers qualifying and feature 35

    Super Stock Qualifying

    SST Modified Non-Qualifiers Event

    Modified All-Star Winners Classic (30) (top 5 earn guaranteed spots for 200)

    *detailed Saturday schedule to be released soon…

    Sunday, September 13th

    Complete schedule to be announced…

    Modified Qualifying and 59th Sunoco Race of Champions 200.

    Super Stock Feature Event.

    2:00 p.m. 59th Annual Sunoco Race of Champions Modified 200

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •