From raceny

MATT HIRSCHMAN HONORED AT RACE OF CHAMPIONS DART ASPHALT MODIFIED TOUR BANQUET

Binghamton, NY: This past Saturday night at the Binghamton Regency Hotel and Conference Center the final checkered flag of the 2008 racing season came down for the Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour. The setting of the festive evening was the Grand Ballroom at the state of the art facility in the heart of downtown.

Northampton, PA driver Matt Hirschman did the impossible this past year on the Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour. Matt missed two vital point shows but still ended up winning the championship - his second RoC championship with his first coming in 2005.

Of course by now everyone knows that Matt had an outstanding season wherever he raced in 2008. His championship with RoC was helped with three feature wins at Oswego and a win at Thompson. Matt’s outstanding consistency of finishing up front when not winning also had a huge hand in the championship.

“The first championship was special back in 2005 because it was my first one," said Matt. “This year the championship was unexpected because I knew ahead of time that I was going to miss a couple of races. This was a total team effort as I tried racing like the dirt guys do this year. I raced all over the place in all different series in different cars and each time I got behind the wheel this past year the car was always fast."

Daren Scherer of Binghamton, NY continued his yearly improvement with RoC with a very strong second place finish in the points. East Aurora, NY driver Billy Putney ended up third in the points with Bethlehem, PA veteran driver John Markovic winding up in fourth and defending champion Pete Brittain of Oakhurst, NJ settled for fifth.

Sixth through tenth in points were Rick Kluth of Brockport, NY, Jan Leaty of Williamson, NY, Erick Rudolph of Ransomville, NY, Jim Storace of Kingston, NH, and Mike Leaty of Williamson, NY.

Special awards handed out during the banquet saw Daren Scherer named the Most Improved Driver with Jim Storace receiving the Hard Luck Award and Mike Leaty claiming the Best Appearing Car Award. Matt Hirschman was honored with the Owner of the Year Award.

Tony Hirschman who won the 58th Sunoco Race of Champions at Oswego back in September which was his third win in the prestigious event was also honored. Tony received a special award which capped off the Hirschman sweep of the Modified races at Oswego in 2008.

News and information concerning the 2009 Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour will be released in late February/early March. Any questions regarding the 2009 season can be answered by calling 607–775–5555 or via online by contacting rocpavement@aol.com.

1/4/09 Press release produced and released by: J.R. Kennerup/MKENNERUP@HOTMAIL.COM.