Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The TRUTH about exhausts..side pipes

The TRUTH about exhausts..side pipes

NEETS dirt rules state all cars must remain stock

There are VERY FEW stock exhaust systems out there on the track.
    Other than rice burning hondas, you do not hear very many loud STOCK cars on the street, so obviously these extremely loud cars on the track are not stock.

As far as I know, there are VERY VERY VERY few cars on the roads these days with side pipes (exiting out the side of the car)

On the track, there are tons of car shooting exhaust out the side

So is it legal to modify the exhaust this way?

Nate
    #128 (small car)

from what im told...no performance mufflers(example:flow master) but a cat and muffler is NOT mandatory...most of these very very very loud cars are cars with no cat or muffler and just some flex pipe or homemade pipe exiting out the side...maybe Joe or Josh can clear this up...
    Last edited by EnduroFromDE; 06-19-2009 at 09:16 PM.
    I find that your selfish mind is a place to hide when you know what you are doing is wrong

loud pipes save lives lol i hope we dont need mufflers my car will sound like poo

Well, a pipe with no muffler or cat, exiting out the side of the car is an open exhaust, which will out perform a performance muffler anyways IN MOST CASES.

I just saw a lot of cars running their exhausts this way. On Sunday I will be doing the same now since my cars exhaust fell off in turn 4 last race. I would get piping to make it a stock exhaust again, but since side pipes seem to be allowed, it is a lot cheaper and easier for me.
    Nate
    #128 (small car)

I was told that it is preferred to run it out the side. I figure that means their is less piping and mufflers to fall off the cars and onto the track. In my case its better too because I have lost my exhaust in both races.
    "Taken To School"

Wink Exhuasted.............

Your right! NEETS rules state that car must conform to make, model and year......................
    But, I've only seen a few Y-pipes used on the V-8/V-6 enduros.........................
    Most peeps cut the Y-pipe right before it v's together, turn them towards the rear of the car..................
    Just add some straight pipe, couple of cheap mufflers and make the exhaust exit past the driver........................
    I don't think I've ever seen anybody DQ'ed for their exhaust systems.........................
    UNCLE PETEY......................
    Last edited by richardpetey; 06-20-2009 at 09:48 PM.

32danfs
    except wall factory stocks

Wink Nice Pipes..................

Hey Dan! You know something I don't know?...............
    I was refering to enduro cars but, I guess, there is always a first time for everything...................
    I understand Wall has its little quirks but if you want to get DQ'ed for just showing up try lapdance greedway........................
    UNCLE PETEY...............

Quote Originally Posted by richardpetey View Post
    if you want to get DQ'ed for just showing up try lapdance greedway........................
    Wait until Mike sees this...this topic will be shut down quicker then you getting DQ'ed there...
    I find that your selfish mind is a place to hide when you know what you are doing is wrong

i run staight pipes past the drivers seat. this is all you need at bdr. i don't see anything in the rules about cats and mufflers having to be on. i know some tracks have rules about noise lvls and you must run some kind of mufflers. some guys run little muffler to give some back pressure. just follow the rules and read them to your understanding. always ask question to tech people before you do it.

spier racing 93
    it sucks for the guys with 1996+ cars, obd2 needs atleast the cat and the 2 sensors to run right

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdracer View Post
    just follow the rules and read them to your understanding. always ask question to tech people before you do it.
    That is sort of what this is all about...I was originally told stock exhaust with muffler in place. Then at the track I saw a ton of loud cars so asked about the muffler and was told I didn't need it. Exhaust seems to be one of those gray areas in the rules. The rules say everything must be stock, but make no mention of ANY exhaust changes, but obviously SOME are allowed.
    Nate
    #128 (small car)

i was just saying to ask tech people if you have questions. i read the rules and saw nothing said about running cats and mufflers. that is all i ment. i have been racing enduros from the 80's( i know i am old. )and most rules never mention mufflers. i know some run with them and some run without. i guess it up to driver and car( if the computer need sencers).

Giving me grays....

"Gray Areas"
    Definition: The area of the rules to which Uncle Petey builds his cars.
    Excuse: You didn't say anything about it!

The truth be told...
    Yes, there will always be gray areas in the rules. NEETS has the longest set of enduro rules among all of the other enduro series and I can easily admit there will always be issues unaddresses. Our rules state that all components must be stock for make and model. Stock exhaust is stock comonents. Therefore, replacing the exhaust with headers or such would be considered NOT stock.

As for modifying what is existing....now that is what we are talking about here!

Removing our feline friend will lighten up the car and even give it the chance to breath a little heavier. Calm down Critter, I'm not talking about that kind of heavy breathing! On the downside, your car is going to sound like the junk the DOT does allow on the streets that you see all the 16 and 18 year old high schoolers driving around believing they have race cars... Louder is not always better....as I stated in a post a while back, if your car is so loud that you cannot hear what is around you, you will never know WHO is racing next to you. There is nothing in our rules whether the cat has to stay or not...

Modifying the exhaust pipes is not allowed nor penalized (unless it is regarding installation of performance parts)...in a certain sense. If you modify your pipes to be side exhausted, rear exhausted...out-the-roof exhausted even!?...it won't matter so long as there are no performance parts being installed in the place of a stock part. The exhaust, be it a side/rear/roof type must terminate behind the driver and cannot allow the driver's compartment to fill up with fumes. The pipes installed/modified should remain stock sized...a pontiac sunbird does not have 4" exhaust pipes...

If we are just talking about bending stock sized pipes to alter the direction of the fumes...no problem...if we are talking about removing the kitty-cat or moving the stock muffler to the side of the car....gray area indeed. If you change out the headers and put on a performance exhaust pipe....now there is a clear cut issue.

If you have any more questions about this, feel free to email either myself or our tech guys!

joe@neetsracing.com
    josh@neetsracing.com
    rick@neetsracing.com
    ________Joe the Photo Guy
    {_NEETS_}_____________www.neetsracing.com
    Co-Promoter____________Email: joe@neetsracing.com
    Webmaster_____________Cell#: 267-767-4923
    Photographer ___________Nextel: 168*153450*1

Quote Originally Posted by DerbyN8-128 View Post
    The rules say everything must be stock, but make no mention of ANY exhaust changes, but obviously SOME are allowed.
    Good point Nate........they DID...I may have overwritten it somewhere along the lines of HTML code! The rules used to just state exhaust must exit behind the driver. I will get the rules updated and altered to read the way they should.
    ________Joe the Photo Guy
    {_NEETS_}_____________www.neetsracing.com
    Co-Promoter____________Email: joe@neetsracing.com
    Webmaster_____________Cell#: 267-767-4923
    Photographer ___________Nextel: 168*153450*1

Thread Information