Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 cylinder cars - a 6 amongst us

4 cylinder cars - a 6 amongst us

As Joe mentioned in the driver's meeting, Pete Wharton in the #82 car, ran a straight 6 Ford Mustang with us in the 4 cylinder race. I heard some grumbling and complaining as we left the driver's meeting, but now that all is said and done, what were other driver's opinions or him being out there with us?

I know, being one of the slower cars, I passed him a few times under green flag conditions. I don't think he was much of a threat to anyone, especially not the leaders.
    Nate
    #128 (small car)

fuglygswracing

V6

I heard the grumbling, but I didn't see a problem with it anyways. I would love to get all the cars together on day; I wanna beat the V8's,

Are you nuts?

I hope you were just kidding,your lap times are way slower then ours. My car weighs 3700 pounds of 70s steel. Who do you think would get the short end of the stick if you got in a crash with one of us.If you were just kidding then no big deal. If you do want to try make your car legal for NJ and race the enduro's at New Egypt. They let the 4's run with us last year.
    Rockin Rick 120

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrick120 View Post
    I hope you were just kidding,your lap times are way slower then ours. My car weighs 3700 pounds of 70s steel. Who do you think would get the short end of the stick if you got in a crash with one of us.If you were just kidding then no big deal. If you do want to try make your car legal for NJ and race the enduro's at New Egypt. They let the 4's run with us last year.
    Rockin Rick 120
    That is actually why the 82 car (the straight 6 mustang) ran with the small cars, because the tech guys felt he would be destroyed in the big car race, which he more than likely would have been
    Nate
    #128 (small car)

I will tell you one thing, it is not how fast the cars are...it is all on the driver. Enduros are 99% on how the driver races, not on the performance of the car. If a driver observes how all other cars race and can avoid all wrecks and can remember where the dead cars lie, then it doesn't matter what their lap times are, but more on the drivers memory and agility. Enduro races are not based on lap time, but ENDURANCE! I wouldn't be able to accurately tell you who I would think would win a race if we combined the 4cyl/big cars. If you put Uncle Petey, Howie, Steve Heagle, Tim Pauch, and even Joe Jentile in a 4cyl mixed in with 50 other big cars, I can garuntee they would be the top runners but I wouldn't be able to guess who would win because they drive VERY intelligenlty and with a passion to win. I am not going to put down anyone but at the same time these guys KNOW how to run an enduro. It is MOSTLY on the driver and the rest is on the car. I have seen SO MANY of the fastest lap times fall out early because of mistakes that could have been avoided, BELIEVE ME I see ALL the lap times since I run the transponders. It does not matter how fast you are going, it is your memory and endurance that wins the race 99% of the time. I also believe if we mixed dave into the field with ALL big cars he would also be one of the top runners because he runs a very clean very SAFE race and keeps in mind where all the dead cars are. THIS IS WHAT AN ENDURO IS ALL ABOUT, not wrecking people but remembering where wrecks were to AVOID colliding with an obstacle!! I have a LOT of respect for enduro drivers and I believe with pracitce EVERYONE can be this good!!!
    Last edited by Erin C; 06-22-2009 at 06:50 PM.
    Erin Cutri
    NEETS Official: Co Promoter
    Email: bartleye2@hotmail.com
    Cell: 570-878-0769

Quote Originally Posted by Erin B View Post
    I believe with pracitce EVERYONE can be this good!!!
    no Erin, no practice in enduros... I though you would know that by now but Erin is right, theres a few drivers I seen in the top 10 or even the top 5 in the 4 cyls and think to myself, "no way he/she finished in the x pos. I passed that car twice..."
    And to Dave, that might be true at a road course or even Mountain where the 4 cyl are quicker through the turns but Its hard to see on a dirt track like Grandview, maybe next race you can run with them and give us other 4 cyls a chance to win
    Back to the original topic...I didnt mind the car being out there either. Dont take this thee wrong way but, Knowing it was a I-6 I knew It wouldnt be as competative as if it was a v6, of course it probley placed higher then me because he made the car last and thats what counts...
    Last edited by EnduroFromDE; 06-22-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    I find that your selfish mind is a place to hide when you know what you are doing is wrong

Just a quick input....Dave Bentley #5 Small Car had a .5 second difference between the fastest Big Car lap.....although, he had a faster lap time than MOST of the V8's........it would be interesting to see an all out enduro with all the cars together.....

Erin wants me to tell you Steve, she meant with time on the track....not practice!
    ________Joe the Photo Guy
    {_NEETS_}_____________www.neetsracing.com
    Co-Promoter____________Email: joe@neetsracing.com
    Webmaster_____________Cell#: 267-767-4923
    Photographer ___________Nextel: 168*153450*1

Quote Originally Posted by CJfilms View Post
    Erin wants me to tell you Steve, she meant with time on the track....not practice!
    I know what she ment seat time vs. practice time.

As far as all the cars on the track, I dont thinks I want to get T-boned by a caprice doing 65, roll-cage or not I would go for it if we can remove the drivers if stalled on the track, leave the cars, but remove the drivers...im in...
    I find that your selfish mind is a place to hide when you know what you are doing is wrong

Come on, this thread is about the 6 cylinder being out there with the 4's...not a comparison between small cars and big cars lap times.

Nate
    #128 (small car)

Quote Originally Posted by EnduroFromDE View Post
    Back to the original topic...I didnt mind the car being out there either
    I've tried to get it back on topic Nate

Wink 4-6-8........racing would be great..................

It would be interesting if we could compare the two divisions times ourselves on my laps the day after the race, hehe.........................
    I'm sure the 4cyls. could compete with the 8 cyls. in an all out race, but( as Steve already stated) I'd hate to be the driver that whacked a 1700lb. civic with my 4000lb. malibu........................
    UNCLE PETEY.....................

In the end it becomes a safety issue more so than anything....weight and size...

104" wheel base minimum to run with the Big Cars....IF a car with a V8 shows up with a 101" wheel base, as it has been discussed here, he cannot run wit hthe Big Cars....we could start the car down a lap with the small cars though....

Back to the original topic though....what is everyone's input?
    ________Joe the Photo Guy
    {_NEETS_}_____________www.neetsracing.com
    Co-Promoter____________Email: joe@neetsracing.com
    Webmaster_____________Cell#: 267-767-4923
    Photographer ___________Nextel: 168*153450*1

Sac-Man

Lightbulb Come on; common sense people...

You can't have 5.0 Liter V8 Mustangs or 6 cylinder Mustangs consistantly running with the 4 cylinders???
    You let them run the one event and then tell them they have to pull the motor and put a 4 banger in for the next event...
    Read the Rules...

come on John...I was just about to place a bid for a 86 Mustang GT V8 for $850 on eBay......but thats is a good idea, no more 6/8 cars running with 4 cyl, unless that driver is new, and truly did not know better.

pull off two plug wires

Thread Information