Thread: car temp question

car temp question

ok so i installed a temp guage , so know i have two , stock gauge and number gauge , whats a good number i should be runnin just sittin at idle and on the track ? thanks

180ish...190 in that area. Could be different depending on car, and the thermostat used.

My car is around 180 at the start (180 t-stat) and by the 10 or 15th lap running around 200 or so...mid race its been up to 220+ which we are trying to work on, keeping that down.
    Nate
    #128 (small car)

ok so i have a v8 t stat drilled out , sittin at idle for a half hr one gauge in the middle of cold hot other at 200, is that good ? guess it will go down when movin , also i run a elec fan , just tired of over heatin , one go more then 20 laps lol

get rid of the electric one

put a regular 6 blade steel fan on the front of the water pump and a fan shroud

if i can find one for that tank of mine , u think that will run cooler that way ? thanks

Temperature?

I'd believe 98.6 would be preferable...

If you get your car running at that low of a temp, Critter, you would have more than just fans....you would have a following of peolpe!!!
    ________Joe the Photo Guy
    {_NEETS_}_____________www.neetsracing.com
    Co-Promoter____________Email: joe@neetsracing.com
    Webmaster_____________Cell#: 267-767-4923
    Photographer ___________Nextel: 168*153450*1

I run a restrictor inplace of a t-stat. It has a 5/8 hole in it. All it does is slow down the h2o enuff to cool it while going thru the radiator. I use a regular fan(no clutch) and 2 electric fans, my car runs 200-210 during the race. i will come down to 190 on a red flag. Check you ignition timing, tooo much timing will make it run hot. I run 38 degrees total timing at 3000 rpm. Run a colder heat range spark plug, perferrably 1-2 heat ranges under the factory one. That will have a less likley chance of it pinging at higher rpms also with this garbage gas that they make now.

funny joe , good idea on the second fan and timing jack thanks buddy

ok so im going to run two fans , hopefully that will help control the beast , exhaust next and im ready to go hopefully

spier racing 93
    it doesnt matter how many fans you have...nothing beats the stock fans, its what they were ment to do, but anyway electric fans+mud=no good

if you still feel the need to run an electric, head to the junkyard and search out a ford taurus with a 3.8L (i think) only available in station wagons. its a real powerful 2 speed fan, we used them all the time on the offroad buggys. just make sure you wire it correctly, becuase on startup of the "hi" setting it draws around 90 amps

Use a relay, it will got easier on the elecctrical draw. Got no problem with elect. fans and mud, i use puller fans on the inside of the rad. screen keeps the mud out of the rad.

shroud

SHROUD!SHROUD!SHROUD! Have a shroud that has a pretty tight fit around the fan. Also the Fixed fan blade is the way to go,not a flex fan found that out the hard way.See you at the july race.
    Rick

HUh?

When did the rule change making it legal to add electric fan (s) to a car? I could use a few fans to keep me cool during the race.....

Shon Elk
    Elk Motorsports #10X
    www.elkmotorsports.com

Tech never said anything to me. and they always check under the hood. I dont think its in the rules that you can/cant use one.

i had elec fan since day one , no one said anything
    Last edited by critter; 07-16-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Thread Information