Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety hub

Question Safety hub

I was just going over the rules for Wall and found a reference to having a safety hub or a reinforced right front wheel. Could anyone tell me more about what that is? If you have such a thing on your car, I'd like to check it out at the next race at Grandview. I sure don't want to drive over there just to be sent home without getting to race.

I use a Bassett racing wheel. That makes it legal. They are in the area of $50 at a speed shop.

that's a simple fix...talk to Joe, Rick, or John Saccomandi either on thr forum or at the next race.... Sac-man has it on his car, he races with us at Wall.
    Erin Cutri
    NEETS Official: Co Promoter
    Email: bartleye2@hotmail.com
    Cell: 570-878-0769

Sac-Man

Post Safety Hub

I've attached a picture which should help. The race before last at Grandview John Sacks had a left rear wheel failure that sent him into a barrel roll in turns 3 and 4. The wheel stress cracks around the bolt pattern leaving the lug nuts and wheel center on the car but everything just outside the bolt pattern goes bye-bye. Only the parts in red are neccessary. I did some additional welding in green just in case there was any question. Hopefully you have some 1/8" flat steel that you can grind/cut into shape to fit the curved area and weld in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SafetyHub.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	2035  

thats a great way to re inforce wheels . i used to to do something similar. another thing i would do on my big car was use 1" lugs also. never had wheel s fail

How do the wagon wheels hold up with 1" lugs?

17Racer
    I used wagon wheels with 1" lugs on my personal factory stock for years and never had one fail. you can use them if you like

not for Jersey...it needs to be a safety hub...per the NJ state law!
    Erin Cutri

could of used this info a while ago...my first three races I had the some issue as john in the big cars...luckly it was my R/F so i didnt go rollin any where I just came to a sudden stop...real sudden...
    I find that your selfish mind is a place to hide when you know what you are doing is wrong

Stupid NJ rules... ITs ALL about the money really. ASNI, SFI, E I E I-O, etc. Its the same with drag racing.

it has nothing to do with money. an auto racing facility in jeresy (weather it be circle track or drag racing) is governed by the state police. and they are all about safety. so i dont think they are in the manufactors pocket and getting a kick back.
    Last edited by Erin C; 09-23-2009 at 08:12 AM.
    Matt
    Neets official/ head flagger
    Driver/owner redneck racing enterprise #32
    www.RRE32.com
    www.redneckracingenterprise.bravehost.com

Thanks Sac-Man, I finished the first wheel yesterday and it was pretty easy for me since I had a spare wheel and didn't have to take the tire off. You don't need to take the tire off if you don't weld the area next to the bead and dont rush the center and get it too hot. I think I'll do the right rear too just to keep all four on the ground and not turn turtle.
    [ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel 002.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	2038[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel 001.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	2037  

why are most NJ tracks on the verge of closing? a lot have already thrown in the towel.

its all based on income, cost benefit, etc. Every venue is different for their reasons, some are greed some truly were not making money...then there are the ones that are still opened, these ones have promoters/owners who push and push and push to keep their track a success and do a wonderful job keeping the stands packed and cars coming in...everyone has their gripes about certain tracks but there's drama everywhere and that is what gives them their charm.
    Erin Cutri

im glad wall re opened. that is one track ive always liked. high banked short track racing is the best.

Thread Information