Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Mutha

i agree with joe it has taken till this last race for me too get to the checkered flag its been a great year and i have learned from many guys in the pits and by trying to follow on track for me this year has been just learning curve and hopefully itwill pay off next year..i think you can talk to anyone in the pits for advice. i personally have gotten a lot of pointers from tim,jack,and tbird it also helps me that i have scott and brian as team mates they have been doingthis for a long time too oh yeah i almost forgot i also have critter(if that helps or not ?)

Doug132
    Wow, now that is more like what I expected... I hear what you guys are all saying about years of experience and you are completely right. I couldn't agree more. I have been involved in racing for many many years as well and I know about consistancy and handling and all of that good stuff. We put the 6cyl. Buick Century together that Jeff Hendricks got a fifth with and was doing well in points with, due to consistancy. I hear what you are saying, but I also make my living as a mechanic and I know horse power when I hear it. Some of you have, in not so many words, agreed with what I have to say in your response. There is a big difference between a good handling race car and a drag race down the straight away!!!

None of what I have to say is me being upset about my results. I am quite happy with how my car runs for only having a 4.3 liter in it. I pass quite a few 350's out there, but I can also see that in order to win the drag race on the straights, it is going to take something a little more than a worn out 350.

I love cars, power, and racing... and I plan on being around for many years to come. I love learning from people that have more knowledge and experiecnce than me and plan on doing that as well.

Like I said before, I love this series and what it stands for. I have not run into one person that wouldn't give you a hand with anything if you ask, and that is unfound these days in racing. You guys are all great and I love being a part of what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug132 View Post
    Like I said before, I love this series and what it stands for. I have not run into one person that wouldn't give you a hand with anything if you ask, and that is unfound these days in racing. You guys are all great and I love being a part of what you do.

That certainly brightened my not so fun morning

Thanks for the kind words!!
    Erin Cutri
    NEETS Official: Co Promoter
    Email: bartleye2@hotmail.com
    Cell: 570-878-0769

Im still used to running 20 laps at bridgeport where as soon as you take the green you give 110% till the checkards fall. It taken me a whole year to relize the race is 100 laps not 20. My car seems to fall off in the later parts of the race and that usally where I lose my positions during the race. I started first in Sundays race and figured if I can put everyone a lap down early, I can race the track the last half of the race. I did just that. I laped all but 6 cars in 12 laps, and me and the 19x had nearly everyone a lap down and was on a lap by ourself when my wheel came off, but it was only lap 40 not lap 100. If I would of started to take it easy and not made it three wide going into turn 1 then my tire wouldnt have been cut and I could of finished the race with a easy top 5. Now I have alot of work to do in two weeks.
    Last edited by EnduroFromDE; 10-28-2009 at 09:21 AM.
    I find that your selfish mind is a place to hide when you know what you are doing is wrong

Part of the reason I dont like starting up front, 1st, my car dont make lots of hp and bite. 2nd Im not quite experienced enuff yet to figure out how to get that "hook" up from the start. I know it takes some finess but some drivers like to just stand on it and what ever happens- happens. Thats where the wrecks begin in the begining of the race where its most slick. A few people asked me "why I start on the pole and end up in the back at first?" I dont want to end up in that pile of cars(ie-front stretch junkyard a few races ago)I wait to the track starts to hook up then pour it on a little at a time. We all have our way of doing things. I learn by doing and just watching the top guys and whats around me; the styles of driving.3rd knowing what my car is capable of is a large factor, Can it pass this car in front of me?Patience and learning when the time is right to do certain things on the track. I didnt have much of this when i first started racing, Now I ve learned to have some. Oh yeah beating up the equipment early is not good! Been there...done that! Sorry for babbling! Just my 2 cents..

I'm the slowest small car on the track...I don't have to worry about who I'm going to pass because they are all passing me
    Nate
    #128 (small car)

Patience is a big key to running well. It usually took my car 10 -20 laps before it wanted to handle. Sure I would lose a lot of ground but after that it would take off and I'd gain most of it back. Also I look at who is passing me. I remember one race I think it was the 5 and 11 both passed me on the high side, so I moved up there and found some good track to race on.
    "Taken To School"

fuglygswracing

couple more things

all I can sat is seat time, seat time, seat time; and patience. Every year I've gotten better and better, and it's only been recently that I've finally gotten to win some races. Couple years ago, I had 2 Nissan 240's that both blew up (motors just can't take it), and I had many sub par performances (and wrecks). it would get very frustrating to finish many 2nd's, 3rd's, 4th's, 5th's, or worse, and never win, and my dad just kept telling me to "be patient, your time will come, just keep doing what your doing". We were just patient, and I talked a lot with other drivers and observed other guys to learn how to do what there doing, and what not to do watching other drivers as well. All I can say is, be patient, not only with future races, but while your in the car too. One thing I always try to do is cut the guy in front of me slack. I lift and never intentionally drive into another car (would be nice if the same respect was given), but I stay out of trouble and I take my time. This, has not started over night, but took years to get where we are at. Again, my dad and I will talk to whoever asks questions, and we don't have a problem helping anyone; just remember that good things will eventually come to those who wait. Also, can't wait for the Mutha, see everyone there, cheers

handling

The motor is great but if you are not handling in the turns the car that is will come flying by you on the straightaway even if you have it floored.The turns are MORE important,if you enter to fast wastes time correcting, if you can't get the power down coming off then you are losing time accelerating. As for the motor it is just like your regular car you can keep getting junkyard motors and see how long they last then replace them or you can do it right(same stock motor just spend the money for new parts and if you don't do it yourself labor for assembly)only difference in cost is going to be upfront for new and other way spreads it out.However you know exactly what you have with new and if you maintain it (oil changes at least every 2 or 3 races it should last many years.

Its kinda funny you change to a motor that makes more power and the handling goes away and alot of the time you have to readjust you driving technques all over. Combination changes can hurt you until all is rung out. Tons of power isnt everything unless you can put it to the track or you will over power the fine line of handling and end up with a bad push or too loose. I agree with the patience and cutting others slack. I do that alot. I dont like plowing into anyone either. Intentional stuff like that is not my gig.I respect all racers out there, they too have to fix there cars because of someones elses impatience or "bullying" around the track. I saw some of that Sunday. Using the front end of their car to gain positions by driving in between two cars where there is no room to get by making them part.(like the red sea) I know rubbin is racin but there a line you must draw. Theres otherwise a lot of clean racing out there, and i want to be part of it.

well put jack , the last couple of races thats what i been doin tryin to stay out of trouble startin to like seenin that checkerd flag , and yes i do agree there is a few rough riders , i felt it once or twice , neck was sore , but its all good and ill be there for the last one of this yr

I was going to tap you but you were doing too well to mess up a great thing...All in fun my friend!!!

Wink Flat-Out.................

I gotta agree with Joe, the majority of guys trying to win the race in the first lap has decreased significantly within the last couple of races.................
    Never the less, I'm still averaging 1 & 1/2 flats a race.....................
    UNCLE PETEY....................

clean racing

The way you race is the way others race you. There are "racing deals" but when someone nails you in the turn after you just passed them you know that wasn't a racin deal and you remember that for next time. Same with mirror driving(should not be allowed in enduros) but they are so fine. However you have drivers out there cutting down when they see you have a run,do it once fine do it twice and don't be surprised or mad when you get spun because the other driver didn't lift. It is not demolition derby that happens to go around the track it is racing that we don't always have our cars go the exact spot we want.I did truly enjoy my first year racing NEETS and there are only a few cars that I have had problems.No big deal. Can't wait for next year!!!!Good Luck everyone in the MUTHA.

You need "slime" for you tires or foam filled. Petey Yeah or "diamond driving" I had a few instances of that at a few races. Find a line,and roll with it.
    Last edited by mcstockcar; 10-28-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Thread Information