Racerhub.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Great START IN 2010 FOR ROC AND MRS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Great START IN 2010 FOR ROC AND MRS

For Immediate Release
    Re: Race of Champions 2010 Tour Openers

2010 RACE OF CHAMPIONS TOUR OPENERS INKED FOR ASPHALT AND DIRT MODIFIEDS.

BINGHAMTON, NY…The 2010 Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour and Dirt Modified Tour season openers have been inked. Both tours will start their seasons with major events to lead the way in to a big 2010 schedule.

On Thursday, Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour Director Andrew Harpell, Modified Racing Series (formerly True Value Mod Series) Director Jack Bateman and Albany Saratoga Speedway owner Bruce Richards met at the Malta oval with the hopes of finalizing plans for a major spring event. Those plans came together nicely and for the first time the RoC and MRS will run a combined race event on Sunday, April 18th at Albany Saratoga Speedway.

The Race of Champions Dart Dirt Modified Tour will start the 2010 season once again at the Selinsgrove Speedway in Pennsylvania on March 19th and 20th. On Friday, March 19th the RoC Small Blocks will take to the speedway on Saturday, the RoC Big Block Modifieds will take part in the third running of the “Ice Breaker”. Last year Pat Ward was victorious in the Friday night Small Block event and Danny Johnson was Saturday Modified winner.

The “East versus West” Asphalt Modified All-Star event will pit the best from the Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour against the very best from the New England based Modified Racing Series. The 100 lap race program will see the two organizations working together for the first time on a joint effort to put together what will be a must see event at Albany Saratoga.

On Saturday, April 17th the speedway will host an open practice session for teams looking to gain valuable track time. On Sunday racing is expected to get underway at 1:00 p.m. with qualifying heat races and the 100 lap Modified showdown. Jonathon McKennedy is the defending Modified Racing Series Champion and two-time RoC Champion Matt Hirschman will lead the respective groups in to Albany Saratoga for this neutral ground battle.

Richards, who recently completed re-paving on the Albany Saratoga Speedway has worked with Harpell in the past in hosting two RoC Dart Dirt Dirt Modified Tour races. Those events were won by Brett Hearn and Brian Weaver. Harpell commented, “Our relationship with Bruce and the RoC dirt races was great and we certainly hope we can bring that same type of success to the speedway for the inaugural asphalt race at the speedway.”

The speedway was open for testing on Thursday with impressive results. Jack Bateman and Ken Berry had their asphalt Modifieds on the speedway and Otto Sitterly tested with his ISMA SuperModified. Sitterly ran in the first RoC Modified All-Star event in September after winning the International Classic on Labor Day weekend.

The rich asphalt Modified history at Albany Saratoga Speedway will certainly add to the drama of this first time event in April. The event is expected to serve as the opening date in a new era for the speedway. With the RoC and MRS combining efforts it will be a huge race for all involved. Additional details on the event will be released in the weeks to come.

The complete RoC schedules are expected to be released in the next two weeks. For additional information on the RoC Dart Dirt Modified Tour please log on to www.rocdirt.com. For the latest on the RoC Dart Asphalt Modified Tour please log on to www.raceofchampions.net. or phone 607-775-5555.

Oh man, that is awesome. A big kick in the nuts for the WMT. This may be just the beginning. I heard MRS is possibly looking for a race at Wall as well.

How is it that this has anything to do with the WMT? The track would never be considered for a WMT race since they are not NASCAR sanctioned. Why does it have to be a contest between series'? Take it for what it is. One more Modified race to attend in the spring. This new combo deal will discourage some teams from traveling there, unless they plan on starting 40 cars.

As someone who goes to all the different modified tours, I have to agree - they all produce great racing, and I couldnt' care less which tour I'm going to go see, as long as it's a modified.

Quote Originally Posted by SUfan View Post
    How is it that this has anything to do with the WMT? The track would never be considered for a WMT race since they are not NASCAR sanctioned. Why does it have to be a contest between series'? Take it for what it is. One more Modified race to attend in the spring. This new combo deal will discourage some teams from traveling there, unless they plan on starting 40 cars.
    Maybe. But why would a big tour like WMT get a race date at Monadnock? IMO, one of the crappiest facilities in the northeast. They are competing for track time and fans. Rumor has it that the MRS has for many years tried to get race dates at Stafford but were told no because WMT reps had threatened to pull out of stafford if they offered them any dates.

The forty car problem is gonna be a real problem, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by MXCHAMP04 View Post
    Maybe. But why would a big tour like WMT get a race date at Monadnock? IMO, one of the crappiest facilities in the northeast. They are competing for track time and fans. Rumor has it that the MRS has for many years tried to get race dates at Stafford but were told no because WMT reps had threatened to pull out of stafford if they offered them any dates.

The forty car problem is gonna be a real problem, no doubt.
    MXCHAMP04: You are kidding right ? Larry and his staff have done a great job with that race facility and they run Tour Type Modifieds every other week. To call it one of the crappiesy facilities in the northeast is nuts and don't forget the MRS used to race there 5 times a year and the races were all pretty good.

The Stafford quote (Rumor ?) is also ridiculous if that statement was true then way hasn't NASCAR left Thompson. I wonder if you are a fan of the Modifieds or you are a fan of the Outlaw Late Models who are being replaced by the Modifieds and is sore about not racing at Monadnock anymore.

SUfan: You are correct about the combo deal. Would have like to see the two tours do two separate races on the same date.

'The track would never be considered for a WMT race since they are not NASCAR sanctioned"

SUfan, not sure that matters, as neither is Lime Rock and the WMT is racing there

Sounds like they could have a b main. I was wondering about the restarts ROC has single file 'the only thing I hate about ROC series' and MRS has double file, hope they go with MRS way. Went to Albany on ROC weekend, wasrunning late didn't think make it to oswego on time was pretty nice didn't relise was seeing last dirt race. can't wait to see it as asphalt should be pretty racey. I have seen some pretty good races at Monadnock also looking forward to WMT race there been awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by MOD11RACER View Post
    MXCHAMP04: You are kidding right ? Larry and his staff have done a great job with that race facility and they run Tour Type Modifieds every other week. To call it one of the crappiesy facilities in the northeast is nuts and don't forget the MRS used to race there 5 times a year and the races were all pretty good.

The Stafford quote (Rumor ?) is also ridiculous if that statement was true then way hasn't NASCAR left Thompson. I wonder if you are a fan of the Modifieds or you are a fan of the Outlaw Late Models who are being replaced by the Modifieds and is sore about not racing at Monadnock anymore.

SUfan: You are correct about the combo deal. Would have like to see the two tours do two separate races on the same date.
    Monadnock facilities are crappy IMO. The pits are small. Not sure how they are gona fit all those big rigs. The stands are practically falling apart.

Not a mod fan. Are you kidding. I went to every WMT race this year except Bristol and Martinsville, and almost every True Value race that did not conflict with the WMT. And I said that WMT reps made the threat, not NASCAR, so you might wanna be careful what you say without reading properly. I don't even know what outlaw late models are.

Thread Information