Thread: how much gear for grandveiw

how much gear for grandveiw

i was wondering how much overall gear ratio are guys in the big car car class
    running at grandveiw?
    i'm building a car to come compete there with and was there for the last race and had a blast,so much so that i wanted to race there.
    so i was curious how much gear the front runners were using?
    i'm building a 86 caprice, i'm guessing most guys are running 2nd gear in the trans?
    thanks in advance

3.73 gears with the car in 2 gear you will be fine
    Aaron"The Thriller"Miller
    redneck rocket racing #78 chevy caprice

thanks, i appreciate the help

gears

it all depends what trans your using-- 200m,350,400,powerglide, or an over drive unit 3.73 a little steep , too many rpm's , overheating issues,and valve train problems will happen, remember alot also goes into figuring this out-- tire diameter, what ratio your trans is.. and in what gear.1-2-or 3 ?? what I recommend is to use what is in the car from factory, try different gears 1-2-3 and see what your car does. if you then feel you need more gear then change it then.. Getter ready for practice day and test her out...
    Maddawg

Wink Spin to Win................

Most high banked 1/3rd mile tracks/racecars like a final drive gear between 6.00 and 6.30....................
    Tire diameter, rpm power range and track condition must be used to formulate your exact ratio.................
    UNCLE PETEY...................

its the gear u guys told me to run im hitting 5200 rpm and have no problem
    Aaron"The Thriller"Miller
    redneck rocket racing #78 chevy caprice

Wink Gear Steer......................

Mr. Thriller, your final gear is approx. 570 with a THM 350 in 2nd gear, thats a great gear for a wet track......................
    As the track gets tacky, you'll be getting a lot more grip and your need for a higher numerical gear will increase...................
    You can change this ratio with a bigger tire, different final drive ratio or higher engine rpm capabilities.................
    Your car will be better in the beginning of the race, the dryer the track gets the more cars with a higher final drive gear will have the advantage...........
    UNCLE PETEY................

the gear i bring is a cooler of mt dew lol just kiddin , my mazda is front wheel drive stock gears and it does me just fine

say uncle how about a 342 with a turbo 350 in second gear tire 225 70 15 how would that package work changing riverhead car to run dirt this summer at grandview

find your gear...

http://www.markwilliams.com/calculators.aspx

check this out for finding proper gear ratios. Enter in all info to find your gear- trans, rear, tire size, ect.

thank you good infro chart

Quote Originally Posted by 4speed View Post
    http://www.markwilliams.com/calculators.aspx

check this out for finding proper gear ratios. Enter in all info to find your gear- trans, rear, tire size, ect.
    That is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing =]
    Erin Cutri
    NEETS Official: Co Promoter
    Email: bartleye2@hotmail.com
    Cell: 570-878-0769

thanks guys, i'm well aware of how to calcuate gear ratios with trans ratios and tire sizes, i was just wondering what ratios guys who were running up front were running, i was guessing i would need 5.57 or more
    thanks again for all the help, look forward to getting up to grandveiw to race
    instead of just watching.

Thread Information