Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no spectator drags

no spectator drags

Does anybody know why they took spectator drags off the card? I can't figure out why

I was told by the track that too many people were building purpose built spec drag cars....

i think it sucks i loved to watch the spec drags there awesome i figure so what if people build cars it gives a good show to watch
    R.I.P Poppy. The best turn 3 beer man Riverhead Raceway has ever seen and the best grandfather anyone could ask for!Tony Mastrangelo 7-10-35 to 12-29-02 R.I.P. 03, 1, 7, 66, 93 rip wild bill

I used to love watching them..always a great show...Did they replace them with the skid plate division? or were they removed for another reason?
    Dale Owen

it's too bad. The spectator drags were some of the best races to watch. They had decent numbers last year, it's surprising they aren't back at all.

The part about purpose built drag cars was definitely an issue, there where some guys who even brought their cars on trailers to the track. But Riverhead could have just fixed that by requiring valid inspection, registration, and insurance.
    Greg Berkowitz
    Top of Turn One Racing
    Shackleford Designs

what about DON CARASITI did he have a built drag car cuz his firebird won every time unless wild child came out with a corvette er sumthin

Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into another fight like the last one did in january or whenever it was, but anyway I don't think it was as much the "built" cars that were the problem. Don started building that firebird years ago and nobody had any problems until last season when the track got a few complaints about his nitrous. As far as I know the only reason he trailered it was due to the DOT approved street slicks on it. The car was always registered and insured. Marty's jeep was far from stock and at least I never heard one word said about it. most cars were worked at least a little. The issue came up when people started running cars with non-DOT tires, dealer plates, missing/non-functional lights, non-registered cars just to try to win. Yes that could have been avoided if they said no dealer plates and DOT approved parts only, but that means more time spent on inspections for what was supposed to be just a fun division. IMO if all the competitors would have just brought street legal registered cars regardless of what work was done we would still have them. Like everything else it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

Marty never said his Jeep was stock and would always write about here on the board when he had problems with it! The track has stopped Spectator Drags before and brought it back!
    Peter Milano
    PitStopPitbull.com
    www.pitstoppitbull.com

They should try making it a spontaneous event. Pick a night with a good crowd and announce it to the fans and in the pit area. These guys aren't gonna bring their "built" cars every week for a couple of shows. If you wait until the day of to announce it there's no way you can prepare.

They need to bring back the good ol days....RUN-WHAT-YA-BRUNG...then all these so called "DRIVERS"that are 1 lap wonders will be lucky to finish. Just sayin.....
    05,58,56,0,41,Mrs.41
    How ya Like Me Now!
    55 R.I.P. Uncle David Oliver 55

Quote Originally Posted by racecar24 View Post
    Does anybody know why they took spectator drags off the card? I can't figure out why
    The track wanted a NEW draw...... lol i ain't seen it yet....

What they got now is enduros doin double duty....

Quote Originally Posted by TTOR View Post
    The part about purpose built drag cars was definitely an issue, there where some guys who even brought their cars on trailers to the track. But Riverhead could have just fixed that by requiring valid inspection, registration, and insurance.
    Purpose built.... c'mon.... would you really want to see a purpose built car...
    I hope there wasn't, lol well there was slaugerties....

Quote Originally Posted by deathwishracin1 View Post
    Don started building that firebird years ago and nobody had any problems until last season when the track got a few complaints about his nitrous. As far as I know the only reason he trailered it was due to the DOT approved street slicks on it.
    The car was always registered and insured.
    Marty's jeep was far from stock and at least I never heard one word said about it.

The issue came up when people started running cars with non-DOT tires, dealer plates, missing/non-functional lights, non-registered cars just to try to win.
    Whiners..... Don drove that car daily...towed to the track so the tires would last longer... Which in my opinion is hysterical since those tires never seen any heat build up....
    I have put hundreds of miles on slicks and race treaded tires on the street Lol, but hey that's fine.. and I was a participant and I COULDN'T CARE LESS what YOU BROUGHT....

I was the ONLY one on REAL street tires, non lightened, real 4,200+ lb street car, wait SUV...sorry......and never complained about anything...

So why should anyone else have one complaint...

I didn't complain when they lined me up with a t-rex....

So why should any fan or other competitor...complain about anything....

Quote Originally Posted by The Bullfather View Post
    Marty never said his Jeep was stock and would always write about here on the board when he had problems with it! The track has stopped Spectator Drags before and brought it back!
    This is true.... I have said a thousand times...
    My jeep was originally a 318, it is now a 366...

I modifed MY jeep for Drag racing, not making turns...
    ONLY reason i came out to SD's....
    Due to Don, Don is the reason i came out there, and that was to spank him...that event took place in my shop 5 years ago and started that friendly rivalry between us... I said to Don,(he was going on and on like he was big E) to many Dale Earnhardts out there, i'll bring my jeep to spank you.... he laughed, i didn't make the next race, he called to question me later that week for missing it at the shop...i told him you really want to be spanked by a Jeep, and i came out the following week walked thru the field to run Don, and made a mistake...

My jeep has a tight Ls up front, a tight Ls out back and LOCKED transfer case....there is no differentiation at all in that case, the Jeep is really set up to go straight...it is 366", it has 10.4 to 1 comp squish piston, lightened rotating assembly, mag ported junk heads, modified chamber, small roller, m1 intake, big tb, not the best performing headers (edel), single exh, slipping trans, other then that everything else it came loaded with off the showroom floor...

I never lied.... I have said EVERYTHING i own is modified... Nothing i own is factory stock... Nothing...

I'll never understand why anyone would cry and complain....

Not my fault if you bet $$$ in the stands against me.... lol

With the advent of that terrible show on tv the other night, im afraid we might have appliance racing....

Riverhead raceway....save skid plate racing for the months of sept thru april when that category falls under side show and doesn't break the racing rules of riverhead town....
    Long Island Motorsports Association
    Fighting for motorsports on long island.
    WE RACE! WE VOTE!
    Join Us! or Contact Us
    www.limotorsports.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ka$h25 View Post
    They should try making it a spontaneous event. Pick a night with a good crowd and announce it to the fans and in the pit area. These guys aren't gonna bring their "built" cars every week for a couple of shows. If you wait until the day of to announce it there's no way you can prepare.
    Yeah pick a night.... What they should do is have a little forum on there WEB SITE for grudge race call outs, then they would have more people involved with WANTING to see it and have a bigger fan base for certain vehicles and then side betting would take place more often and getting HUGE fan participation along with competitors...

However....What built cars..... Where do you and a few other people come up with this total BS...

I want you to SHOW ME other then possibly slaugerties a built car....and if that car is built he needs a few classes... I never really looked slaugs car over that good, but it didn't look all that set up to me when i did...

I want to see a specific built to make a left turn car at the SD's

I want you to put your money where your mouth is also, don't waste anyone's time..

You get the competitor's vehicle and I'll put scales on it and check the caster, camber, toe, cross weight.... EVERYTHING...

When you are wrong you pay up..

Built sd cars.... that is insane.... if that was true then i shouldn't be sending anyone home...

Built... Name the built cars....

Im not gonna be able to sleep waiting to see who had a purpose built car.....

There wasn't EVEN 1 car out there with a preloaded sway bar....
    Lmfao...i'll bet tire pressure wasn't even played with.....
    WE RACE! WE VOTE!
    Join Us! or Contact Us
    www.limotorsports.org

Quote Originally Posted by nobandwagonhere View Post
    They need to bring back the good ol days....RUN-WHAT-YA-BRUNG...then all these so called "DRIVERS"that are 1 lap wonders will be lucky to finish. Just sayin.....
    Yeah that way the crash surgeons will just run over you with some pos since they can't race clean...

Yeah that'll get people interested, another enduro division awesome....
    WE RACE! WE VOTE!
    Join Us! or Contact Us
    www.limotorsports.org

Quote Originally Posted by SuperShafts View Post
    Yeah that way the crash surgeons will just run over you with some pos since they can't race clean...

Yeah that'll get people interested, another enduro division awesome....
    Well, mouth, thats how spectator drag started. Not sure if you were there years ago, but Ive been coming here since I was a kid. It wasnt a wreck fest....but I can guarantee different results in who wins. It was just opinion, but for some odd reason you seem to think your the mayor up here and critize every single thing that is posted up here.

I run spectator drags on and off and it dont matter either way to me...I do it for fun. Ive made it to the finals with junk....so what. If you could drive, then the CRASH SURGEONS shouldnt be a factor. Any idiot can smash the pedal and go in a straight line for 10 seconds....not rocket science. Your jeep is fast, dont get me wrong...but more than 3 laps I dont think it will make it...JMO. But dont knock me for my opinion, my opinion is my opinion Ill be damned if I ever let anyone attack it. Some might disagree with it and thats fine....but NOONE will attack it.

Hows LIMA making out?
    05,58,56,0,41,Mrs.41
    How ya Like Me Now!
    55 R.I.P. Uncle David Oliver 55

Deathwish86

A matter of perspective

Unfortunately, the drags were just another sideshow act to draw interest in the track. As with all such things a few people came with better equipment than the rest. Unfortunately this causes a couple of problems. The people they want to get involved are the small guys who will eventually move to another division. When a few cars are always top of the class, it seems pointless to even try. Not the fast guys fault, just nature of the beast. A division as easy to get into as this also brings out hot shots who have never been on the track, who wreck their cars, and run a high risk of getting hurt. It's a liability that may have gotten too high. There were cars that were built for speed out there, and I give my respect to those cars and their drivers. If those cars were the reason the drags were stopped, there is no need for anyone to defend their ride. I think it was more a business/safety decision, not one based on the competitors themselves.

killa54

no it alls

it only takes 1 person 2 ruin a thread. i dont know if they want spec drags back or really just wanna see skid plate racing gone. i dont know if they notice or not, but skid plates are a huge success. thats why shows are being added. spec drags were a bust and thats why there gone. i hope this answers the question!

Thread Information