View Poll Results: Do you want to see "Dead Cars" moved from the speedway?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...if the car is disabled in the groove, move it!

19 59.38%
  • No...true enduro rules...leave it where it lies! (No change)

13 40.63%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Entertain an idea...

Where would you draw the line if you decided to move dead cars that were in "the groove"? I can't yet say how I would feel if it were my car that died in the groove but it could mean the end of the season for me. The thing is, I signed up for the races the way they have been run and knew what to expect coming in. JMO

Poppop

I voted yes, but only for cars directly in the groove, anything above or below should stay, and the ones that are in the groove shouldnt be me moved until a red is thrown for either driver safety or another serious incident. I know its part of the sport and history of enduro racing, but as several people have already said, most people who race dont have alot of extra money to fix a destroyed car or replace it, hense the reason I havent raced this year, I couldnt afford a new engine or a new car until just recently, but now I dont have money to put a cage in. It really takes a toll on people who dont have/cant get sponsors or dont have racing garages or dont race other divisions. I would love nothing more then to race every weekend with NEETS and I hope that next year it will be possible for me to do so. Either way I will stay faithful to NEETS no matter what the decision is, because unlike certain local tracks that have a fist fight in the pits every saturday, everyone gets along and helps out.
    [B][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Verdana]Ryan Nelson
    Driver of NEETS 4cyl #131
    Firefighter/EMT/Rescue tech.
    Security Officer
    www.nelsonracing131.webs.com

Crushed

I'll say this... I understand that its and enduro, but our enduro is becoming a demolition derby. Team RCR would be in pretty good shape for the next race with some minimal and to be expected damage after the Granduro... if this rule had been in affect one race sooner the 132 car wouldnt have suffered the severe damage that it did in the rearend because it was left in the groove to be smashed. All the drivers invest large amounts of time into building these cars. To stand in the infield and watch as cars slam into your car because its an "enduro" is completely rediculous. I really enjoy racing and i would like to do a little more of it than what we are now. If I wanted to run a demolition derby I would be at the pagoda.
    RCR enjoys racing with Neets but to be completely honest I'm not so sure that we can continue to bring our cars back from the dead every month! We have talked about maybe attending some other races on the off weeks but have yet to have the opportunity because the cars are usually in a state far from being track worthy.

We should be drinking cold beverages leaning on the fender smiling not straitening frames and dragging trunks out with chains and trucks!!!! RCR is here to have fun, not because we were bored and wanted to start our own extreme body and frame straightning business!!! LONG NECKS DOWN!

R.Haring
    another thing people need to remember is how much it costs to just start the race. 50 for entry 30 for the pits 30 for gas in the car plus 30 in the truck and if you need a transponder thats another 20. 160 dollars just to go race an enduro. if someone goes out and runs 20 laps and gets wrecked cuz the track was so bad its way to expensive for what we are doing. $8 a lap is nuts. it was not a thrilling race to watch for anyone that says it was.

I prefer cans....

I made up my mind pretty early (probably after I spun on the pace lap and the three times after that ....sorry tim pauch) that it was not worth destroying my car for that mud fest.

I feel badly for the rest of the guys whose cars got destroyed. It was not my idea of fun and will not be in the future. There was no way that track was going to dry out enough to "race."

It takes way too much time and money to fix these cars. Clear the track and don't race under water. JMO

Also, I found it funny that Kenny Rogers and Fred Rahmer were pointing and laughing their asses off at us from the pit gate . What a circus it looked like.

Back to the cold ones!
    Shon Elk
    Elk Motorsports #10X
    www.elkmotorsports.com

jmo

If the red is going to be thrown, might as well move the dead cars out of the racing line. Lots of people are worried about thier cars, and that's ok, but myself, I worry about someone getting hurt. I don't think anyone would like to see something bad happen to a driver that could of been avoided by simply pushing a car out of the way.

I agree

I agree with Stu....
    Shon Elk
    Elk Motorsports #10X
    www.elkmotorsports.com

both races were a joke the reason there were so many dead cars on the track was the condition of the track. You can not run a car through a foot of water and mud with out something happening to your car . I saw cars with broken ball joints washed out motors flat tires causing the car not to move off the track It is really bad to race under these conditions also not to have any control of the car it went where it wanted to go and you also have a few people who think thay can win the race in the first ten laps by shoving you out of the way doesnot help. i watched a lot of good cars wrecked i have one sitting in the backyard. as the captain said it takes a lot of time and money to build a car and to watch it get wrecked in front of you hurts .As far as leaving cars on the track there would not be a problem if the track was raceable and you had control of your car just my opion Jim white

" you also have a few people who think thay can win the race in the first ten laps by shoving you out of the way doesnot help."
    AMEN TO THAT COMMENT! At least some one out there sees this! Thats what led to my bent frame. As for the thread.....it dont matter to me. Its an enduro. YOU SHOULD BE GIVEN AN OPTION TO HAVE YOUR CAR REMOVED FROM THE TRACK. Hows this idea?. Id want mine moved to keep it from getting totalled.Unless its caught up on a gaurd rail or something that requires excessive time to remove it from a certain place.

Well its time for my 39 cents worth

From what I have seen and what I experienced in the last 15 or so laps.
    of the "Muddy pups" In those 15 laps it became so difficult to actually see. Even though I had a towel to use as a face shield wiper. That I can not understand how
    the big cars had any chance of reasonable vision for 150 laps. I can understand us finishing our race. I had to leave and I did not think that the track would have any chance of being raceable and calling the big car race off would have been the correct call. If we keep getting these poor racing conditions the car counts will continue to drop.

congratulations to Rob Pyle you were right you beat me but will you beat me again, and to Chris for your wins last Sunday.

phil

Where I'm going...

So, I know everyone thinks I am leaning towards moving the cars being that I started a thread circulating around the idea....

I want....more so I NEED....to know everyone's opinion. I appreciate that the few people who always speak up are speaking up once again, but it's the people who we never hear from who I want to hear....

My idea....although it does not mean it will happen...

I would like to see the cars stay...not moved because they are disabled OR in the groove. BUT...if a red comes out, then we will correct the situation (put out the fire, remove the driver, flip the car back over, etc...) AND clear the racing groove. The groove that will be cleared can be either high...low...or in the center of the track. Either way, enough space for at least a three wide pass. Move the dead cars out of the groove, BUT NOT OFF THE TRACK! If a driver loses control that badly and slides high or low enough to hit the wall (infield wall or boiler plate), a dead car being there isn't going to make that impact any worse...

IT IS AN ENDURO....there will always be "DEAD CARS"...that is the point of enduro race, as Erin said it...to ENDURE.

My mindset here is to see car counts either increase or stabilize. The decision here is more than just move dead cars or not....it's a F$#%@ economic question...does it become so costly for drivers to keep fixing their cars/buy new and build fresh that it is easier for them to stop racing? ....sadly enough, right now....yes.

The #1 problem is this....
    Drivers are spending too much money on their cars!!!

I still have people call me between races and tell me how they spend $200 + on tires and more on parts... I have people tell me how much money they put INTO the motor to make it legal....

IT IS AN ENDURO....buy junk yard parks and tires.....go cheap! If you are spending hundreds of dollars between races on custom racing parts and tires and such, HOW MANY TIRES ARE YOU GOING THROUGH???? I have people saying that they only buy new tires and then complain when the get three flats about how much money they now have to spend....if you were using cheap equipment, it would be cheap to repair....instead....you are turning your car into a full blown race car...a factory stock! At the end of this season.....at the rules meeting....we will discuss this in detail.

All that aside....I do understand the cost of safety equipment....that is acceptable and limitless! I'm merely taking about a driver who spends $300 on tires, $200 on body parts, $250 on oil and other performance parts, etc...then they call me an complain "I spend $1,000 every race just to get to the track, the other drivers must be cheating". No, they are not cheating... Yes, you are spending way too much... No, I'm not going to tech inspect them any harder just because you say so... NO, just because I know all that information about you now am I going to let you slide through tech....sorry, but it has to be fair and equal across the board.

As for track conditions....it is not simply a "let's get it in" call that we made...the storm was a passing storm....the radar showed nothing else in the forecast....it was a judgment call that WE HAD TO MAKE....it was the wrong call....I understand that now. I will be more patient in my decision making in the future and we will wait it out to see what mother nature will do before making a call....

The other side of this argument...WHICH NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT....is the fans.... Fans don't like to sit in the stands for an hour or so to see IF the track will dry out....they will leave. I'm not putting fan counts before drivers here, but truth be told, we have a number of drivers this season who were spectators last year......new blood isn't going to rain into the series from the sky....if we can't maintain fans, and no one is coming to watch the races....we will start losing sponsors....support....and finally the speedway.

From a fan standpoint....Travis Schwenk, Al Spotts...sorry to point you guys out here, but....what went through your minds this past race while waiting for us to make the call? What is going through your minds if we have a 45 minute rain delay between races and then start lining cars up?

Lastly...

JMO....rememebr...you're posting on a public forum...you don't have to tell us it's your opinion...we know that already! .....just my opinion! LOL!!!
    ________Joe the Photo Guy
    {_NEETS_}_____________www.neetsracing.com
    Co-Promoter____________Email: joe@neetsracing.com
    Webmaster_____________Cell#: 267-767-4923
    Photographer ___________Nextel: 168*153450*1

personally, I believe something has to change. fan counts are much lower than last year, even with the speedstrs being in the show. car counts seem to be about the same. it would be nice to know what ALL of the fans and non fans have to say and what they would like to be done in order to bring in more people.

joe all your points are good points but you are in a no win decision any way you go it it would not change the racing. i hope i am wrong now about the cars i have been around racing all my life and with neets since it started in 2002 i have tryed to race as much as i can but these are not enduro cars any more you have street stocks any mini stocks now .to run a stock car with all the safty items you would be 90 laps down in a 100 lap race . the cost to race is up there with hard times but people do it because thay love it. about the parts issue as hard as that track is on parts its hard to use used parts with out a part braking i wish you luck with this issue and others you have .as of this time the car i have will not be fixed this year so i will be done for the rest of the year and miss the mutha for the first time since its started joe if you like to talk about this call me or e mail me jim white 29x

We decided with weather conditions and track prep ( lack of ) we would not come to race. After what I heard and saw I`m glad we didn`t!!! As for moving cars from the track , I`m all for taking them off the track, except for as mentioned , if it took too much time.We will be at the next race, weather permitting.

As a fan of enduros and as I driver I can see both sides. I don't think there is any question that driver safety should be the highest priority. When the track conditions are as such that more effort is required to maintain car control than to race your competitors every effort should be made to give as much clear track as possible.

And following that train of thought, when the track is good and the cars are moving faster, slamming a car that is stopped is a collision much greater than most impacts with the guard rail or wall. It is not often that you hit the wall head on.

What is the "racing groove" in an enduro? I'd saying anything but up against the outside wall in the turns. I know the entire straightaway from top to bottom gets used all race long.

Now, on the flip side, how many drivers have had the opportunity to get off the track and did not do so? It's not very often that you come to a quick stop. You usually can coast out of harm's way.

Cost of cars: Those that have money will spend it and those that don't will complain about being beat by those that do. Not even "claiming" rules keep this from happening. That is racing and always will be. Even if you are buying "stock replacement" parts, new parts generally out-last used parts. If the game is to endure, then you need parts that last.

I honestly do not think any change will bring back the car counts to what they were, other than the economy. Face it, the economy sucks, the low income people are hit the hardest, and the enduro racers are low income. I haven't raced NEETS since I ran my truck at Mountain and quickly learned that the posted rules on the website are not always what is enforced at the track. But, with my daughter giving up her first attempt at racing, I now have a car with nothing to do but go enduro racing! I hope to see you in September.

Thread Information