Racerhub.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loudon

Loudon

Who is going? I'll be there with a group of like 8 people

I will be there should be a fanastic race

Just out of curiousity, If I took the 7:00 am ferry from Orient to New London on Saturday, do you think it's possible to make it to NHMS before the 1:00 start for the Mod race?

Howie is offline Veteran of Racing Photography
    The 7 o'clock should put you in NL about 8:20-8:30. I live near Hartford and it takes me 2 1/2 hours or so to Loudon. NL to NHMS is probably a little longer, 3 hrs or so. So I would say yes you can easily make it. Depending on traffic and parking, (and walking from the parking lot) maybe with not an awful lot of time to spare. Hopefully one of the Islanders that does the trip will answer with a better idea of the possibility of making it.
    Howie Hodge
    TheChromeHorn.com - Special Contributor
    www.thechromehorn.com |

RacerHub Network
    www.longislandjam.com | www.poconothunder.net | www.thechromehorn.com

You can definitely do it, but if you hit a traffic jam, you will be in a real bad situation. One year, I sat on 290, trying to get on 495 for over an hour.

Another time ( and this is a long time ago) I tried to do that 7 AM ferry to catch an Indy race at Louden, traffic wasn't a problem until I hit Loudon and route 106. I sat on 106 for over an hour and by time I got there the race was 50 laps old.

I usually take the ferry Friday night. You can find cheap motels in the New London/ Groton area. Then you can get going a little earlier Saturday morning. I try to be on my way by 7 - That way you don't feel as rushed.

That being said, I usually leave right after the mods and try to head back to Waterford for a double header. This year, I'm heading to Lancaster to watch the mods there on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
    Just out of curiousity, If I took the 7:00 am ferry from Orient to New London on Saturday, do you think it's possible to make it to NHMS before the 1:00 start for the Mod race?
    Keep in mind that the race is scheduled to start at 12:45, not 1:00 PM. The weather just said a washout for Friday, so who knows how the schedule might change if that happens. I suspect the morning Modified practice will be canceled to allow the K&N race to start early in the morning Saturday? That would be a bummer. I love the early morning practice for the Mods, and it helps teams fine-tune to make the race better.

Thanks for the info guys. Probably wont attempt to go but I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather for the rest of you.

[QUOTE=limodmaniac;157662]You can definitely do it, but if you hit a traffic jam, you will be in a real bad situation. One year, I sat on 290, trying to get on 495 for over an hour.

easier way to go instead of 290 and 495 is up interstate 91 in mass into Vermont, then take route 9 to concord, much less traffic and a nice scenic ride

I'm IN . Will be there with my buddy.

A few travel tips...

Quote Originally Posted by limodmaniac View Post
    You can definitely do it, but if you hit a traffic jam, you will be in a real bad situation. One year, I sat on 290, trying to get on 495 for over an hour.
    If you want to avoid the I-290 variability you can take the Mass Pike (I-90) east for three exits to get to I-495. It is only five miles longer--it looks like an optical illusion on the map... Yes there is a small toll, but you avoid Worcester and any potential problems with I-290.

For the record, from the New London-Orient Point Ferry terminal it is 177.6 miles and an estimated 2h 46m to NHIS. Using the Mass Pike it is 182.6 and 2h 50m

Quote Originally Posted by limodmaniac View Post
    I usually take the ferry Friday night. You can find cheap motels in the New London/ Groton area. Then you can get going a little earlier Saturday morning. I try to be on my way by 7 - That way you don't feel as rushed.
    If you take this route and want to operate on a budget, there is a decent Motel 6 off of exit 75 on I-95--go 5-6 miles south on 95 on it a mile or so from the ferry. And like limodmaniac says, hotels in this area are aplenty and if you get shut out you can always find a place to sleep at the Mohegan Sun... LOL!

I will also vouch for the breakfast (lunch and dinner too!) served at Zip's Diner right off exit 93 on I-395. Northbound, take a right of the exit, through the light and it is immediately on your right. It is about 40 miles from the ferry terminal. Zip's is tough to beat--the place is clean, the food is great, the cost reasonable, and the service is fast!

Have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Analyst View Post

I will also vouch for the breakfast (lunch and dinner too!) served at Zip's Diner right off exit 93 on I-395. Northbound, take a right of the exit, through the light and it is immediately on your right. It is about 40 miles from the ferry terminal. Zip's is tough to beat--the place is clean, the food is great, the cost reasonable, and the service is fast!

Have a great trip!

I can say I agree. I grew up in Danielson, CT and went to Killingly High School. We use to skip out on Study Hall a lot when we had it for long period (2nd Period) of the day and go to breakfast at Zips!! Nice old Diner!! There is also George's Galley off of exit 92 that is really good!

Quote Originally Posted by SUfan View Post
    Keep in mind that the race is scheduled to start at 12:45, not 1:00 PM. The weather just said a washout for Friday, so who knows how the schedule might change if that happens. I suspect the morning Modified practice will be canceled to allow the K&N race to start early in the morning Saturday? That would be a bummer. I love the early morning practice for the Mods, and it helps teams fine-tune to make the race better.
    No way they run that junk on Saturday. They would have to skip one of the hour long great Cup ride around practices. The world would have to end first. They have plenty of time to run it on Sunday morning or on Monday. LOL

The Modifieds have only a 20 minute practice on Saturday instead of 50 minutes because of the full fendered ACT Tour crap. Looking @ the schedule it doesn't look like their is any time to run the full fendered K&N East crap on Saturday.

Loudon Schedule

Thursday, September 16, 2010 – “FanFest”
    9:00 a.m. Speedway Spectator Gates Open
    11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. NASCAR K&N Pro Series East Practice
    1:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Practice
    3:15 p.m. NASCAR K&N Pro Series East Qualifying for the
    New Hampshire 125 (2 Laps, All Positions - IMPOUND)
    4:45 p.m. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Qualifying for the
    New Hampshire 100 (2 Laps, All Positions)
    7:00 p.m. “FanFest” & NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Hauler Parade

Friday, September 17, 2010 – “FansFirst Pole Day”
    8:00 a.m. Speedway Spectator Gates Open
    10:00 a.m. - 11:20 a.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Practice
    11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Practice
    1:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Final Practice
    3:10 p.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Qualifying for the
    SYLVANIA 300 (2 Laps, All Positions)
    4:40 p.m. NASCAR K&N Pro Series East
    Driver Introductions for the New Hampshire 125
    5:00 p.m. NASCAR K&N Pro Series East
    New Hampshire 125 (125 Laps, 132.25 Miles)

Saturday, September 18, 2010
    7:00 a.m. Speedway Spectator Gates Open
    8:00 a.m. - 8:20 a.m. American-Canadian Tour Final Practice
    8:30 a.m. - 8:50 a.m. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Final Practice
    9:00 a.m. - 9:50 a.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Practice
    10:05 a.m. NASCAR NASCAR Camping World Truck Qualifying for the
    New Hampshire 175 (2 Laps, All Positions - IMPOUND)
    11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Final Practice
    12:35 p.m. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour
    Driver Introductions for the New England 100
    12:45 p.m. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour
    New England 100 (100 Laps, 105.8 Miles)
    2:30 p.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
    Driver Introductions for the New Hampshire 175
    3:00 p.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
    New Hampshire 175 (175 Laps, 185.15 Miles)
    5:30 p.m. American-Canadian Tour Driver Introductions for The ACT Invitational
    5:45 p.m. American-Canadian Tour
    The ACT Invitational (50 Laps, 52.9 Miles)

Sunday, September 19, 2010
    7:00 a.m. Speedway Spectator Gates Open
    11:20 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Pre-Race Concert
    12:30 p.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
    Driver Introductions for the SYLVANIA 300
    1:00 p.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
    SYLVANIA 300 (300 Laps, 317.4 Miles)
    Tentative schedule

All i see for friday is a chance of showers at 30%, who knows it could even come thursday night and be fine for friday. but if it gets cancelled oh well and who cares. I'm only interested in the modifieds!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Magicshoes12 View Post
    All i see for friday is a chance of showers at 30%, who knows it could even come thursday night and be fine for friday. but if it gets cancelled oh well and who cares. I'm only interested in the modifieds!! LOL
    Local weather reports are projecting rain late Thursday into early Friday morning, as of today. If that holds, the schedule would be ok.

Per this mornings local forecast...the weather forecast is much better than earlier in the week. If it holds true, there would be no issues at all. The rain is supposed to start around dark on Thursday (after time trials), with the sun returning on Friday morning. This change also makes Saturday a little warmer- mid-70s, with the high pressure building in sooner. Perfect weather for a perfect day of racing. Mod11racer, like it or not, the ACT race was pretty good last year and they do bring in more fans.

Thread Information