Thread: Attention Drivers with Vortec Motors!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Attention Drivers with Vortec Motors!!!

If you have skimmed through the rules, you may or may not have noticed this new rule for Vortec motors...

§607.3 Vortec Heads. Vortec is a trademarked name for a line of piston engines for General Motors trucks. The name first appeared in 1988 on a 4.3 L V6 that used "vortex technology" to create a vortex inside the combustion chamber, creating a better air/fuel mix. These head have been paired with a “Marine” style intake in the past.

§607.3.1 Legality. The only intake manufactured by GM that will be considered legal is the following:

GM Part#: 12496820

This is a low rise dual plane with EGR provision and dual carburetor bolt pattern.

We've been receiving lots of phone calls about new motors coming into the series with Vortec heads.....MAKE SURE THE PART IS LEGAL!!!

Any questions, contact Rick Collins, 484-368-6801, or myself, 267-767-4923.

Thanks!
    ________Joe the Photo Guy
    {_NEETS_}_____________www.neetsracing.com
    Co-Promoter____________Email: joe@neetsracing.com
    Webmaster_____________Cell#: 267-767-4923
    Photographer ___________Nextel: 168*153450*1

ps...

Google search "GM Part#: 12496820" and you will get some very easy instant results.....don't want to hear complaints that you cannot find it...

Yes, this part is easy to find. In fact after ruining my original motor early in the season last year I found myself having to put together a replacement motor. Later after finding out that you could run the vortec heads I wanted to use this same exact intake manifold last year. I think I even brought it to the track at some point to show it to the appropriate officials?? I was told this manifold couldn't be used?? Why I asked?? Is it because it is aluminum?? No, because it wasn't an "aftermarket, cast iron, marine-style intake". I'm not exactly sure?? Either way, I put the "aluminum, illegal intake manifold" back on the shelf. I proceeded to purchase the required "aftermarket, cast iron, marine-style intake"!! All was well for the rest of the season for ALL the people using the cast iron, vortec intake manifolds.

Enter 2012! "Must use GM Part #12496820 intake manifold. Aluminum, low-rise, dual bolt patern..................Blah, blah, blah ONLY!!!" HMMMM???? Is this Obama economics???

If nothing else, at least I now have a very expensive, heavy, aftermarket, cast iron, marine style door stop for my garage!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by rustyboltz6; 01-16-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    Shawn Naftzinger
    Rustyboltz Racing #16N
    "Old School!"

Is this Obama economics???

No Shawn in obama economics another taxpayer would purchase the not useable intake manifold for you at 4 times the price that you paid. 1 year and a few days away. phil

Just a quick note to drivers searching/purchasing this part...the part number GM12496820 comes with a different part number stamped on the intake itself... The number stamped on the intake is GM12486570.... If you search either part number, the same product comes up.....just hoping to clear up any confusion.

Here's a few suppliers I found online...

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/12496820

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...96820/10002/-1

If the expense of a Vortec motor is to high. Build a motor with out the vortec parts. That is what the GM cars should REALLY have. No truck racing here. phil

Thread Information