Thread: Attention Drivers with Vortec Motors!!!

Attention Drivers with Vortec Motors!!!

If you have skimmed through the rules, you may or may not have noticed this new rule for Vortec motors...

§607.3 Vortec Heads. Vortec is a trademarked name for a line of piston engines for General Motors trucks. The name first appeared in 1988 on a 4.3 L V6 that used "vortex technology" to create a vortex inside the combustion chamber, creating a better air/fuel mix. These head have been paired with a “Marine” style intake in the past.

§607.3.1 Legality. The only intake manufactured by GM that will be considered legal is the following:

GM Part#: 12496820

This is a low rise dual plane with EGR provision and dual carburetor bolt pattern.

We've been receiving lots of phone calls about new motors coming into the series with Vortec heads.....MAKE SURE THE PART IS LEGAL!!!

Any questions, contact Rick Collins, 484-368-6801, or myself, 267-767-4923.

Thanks!
    ________Joe the Photo Guy
    {_NEETS_}_____________www.neetsracing.com
    Co-Promoter____________Email: joe@neetsracing.com
    Webmaster_____________Cell#: 267-767-4923
    Photographer ___________Nextel: 168*153450*1

ps...

Google search "GM Part#: 12496820" and you will get some very easy instant results.....don't want to hear complaints that you cannot find it...

Yes, this part is easy to find. In fact after ruining my original motor early in the season last year I found myself having to put together a replacement motor. Later after finding out that you could run the vortec heads I wanted to use this same exact intake manifold last year. I think I even brought it to the track at some point to show it to the appropriate officials?? I was told this manifold couldn't be used?? Why I asked?? Is it because it is aluminum?? No, because it wasn't an "aftermarket, cast iron, marine-style intake". I'm not exactly sure?? Either way, I put the "aluminum, illegal intake manifold" back on the shelf. I proceeded to purchase the required "aftermarket, cast iron, marine-style intake"!! All was well for the rest of the season for ALL the people using the cast iron, vortec intake manifolds.

Enter 2012! "Must use GM Part #12496820 intake manifold. Aluminum, low-rise, dual bolt patern..................Blah, blah, blah ONLY!!!" HMMMM???? Is this Obama economics???

If nothing else, at least I now have a very expensive, heavy, aftermarket, cast iron, marine style door stop for my garage!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by rustyboltz6; 01-16-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    Shawn Naftzinger
    Rustyboltz Racing #16N
    "Old School!"

Is this Obama economics???

No Shawn in obama economics another taxpayer would purchase the not useable intake manifold for you at 4 times the price that you paid. 1 year and a few days away. phil

Just a quick note to drivers searching/purchasing this part...the part number GM12496820 comes with a different part number stamped on the intake itself... The number stamped on the intake is GM12486570.... If you search either part number, the same product comes up.....just hoping to clear up any confusion.

Here's a few suppliers I found online...

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/12496820

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...96820/10002/-1

If the expense of a Vortec motor is to high. Build a motor with out the vortec parts. That is what the GM cars should REALLY have. No truck racing here. phil

So much for stock!

Heads that never came on a stock production car ...........$700
    +GM performance parts aluminum manifold........................$300
    +An extra 30-40Hp and a weight savings......................PRICELESS
    Dr D...........

Evolution Baby!! Marine intake 300 plus dollars, or this intake 180 new...... newer things are cheaper and older stuff hard to find.

A little input from the other side of the fence.....

For the few drivers who HAVE the vortec heads already...you need to make the provision to make the motor legal...

IF you are starting fresh, listen to Philter above...don't go out and buy the parts to build it altogether.....use the GM parts the car already has...

The whole Vortec head thing is getting a little out of hand. It's not too far fetched to say within the next season or two that the Vortec heads might just be outlawed altogether. This is a route I'd rather not take ONE, to possibly penalize new drivers who haven't been with the series through this whole debate...and TWO, it will just go to show...few will ruin it for many.

If the provisions we put in place are unable to be followed, we will just say "Oh Well", start with some new rules and hope the innocent are not punished.

Again, this is not what I want to see happen, however Rick has stated this numerous times online, at the rules meeting, at driver's meetings, even in tech after the races..."This is an enduro series. The cars are meant to be stock. We, the officials, shouldn't need to have thousands of dollars worth of equipment to inspect these vehicles."

So....I'm not going to repeat it again, but the point is WE THE OFFICIALS SHOULDN'T NEED EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT FOR TECH....the cars (engine and performance wise) are meant to be stock...we've bent the rules so far to allow for cheaper part replacement for non-performance equipment...that is all that we should have to do.

You will not see Rick holding a $2,000 piece of equipment as you roll through tech...it is not necessary....BUT, if WE feel it is coming down to that, something will have to change before we get that far.

Angry wishy washy

1: Pick a side of the fence and STAY ON IT!!!!!........
    2: The WHOLE VORTEC HEAD thing is out of control because "YOU" let it !!!!!........
    3: Nobody here is innocent..........
    4: You don't need thousands of dollars worth of equipment , just a pair of eyes not covered by blinders ......

Did I just type this outloud..........DrD......

Quote Originally Posted by drdestruction View Post
    Did I just type this outloud..........DrD......
    Did Petey hack into your computer? LOL!!!

Joey needs to do some research....I'm posting up a new thread with some important info, please everyone read it!!!

Thumbs down Enough already

Listen I can go right down to my local Jasper dealer and purchase a vortec headed motor that is a gm production motor !!! The rules state chevy to chevy , ford to ford , and so on , we never said it wasnt a truck motor but hey if you wanna do the stock for YEAR , make and Model , I`m all for it !!! Howie you are the one that brought the aluminum manifold rule to my attention ???? So why bother if this is still an on going issue ???? so to say that the heads are not a gm over the counter part is not true !!! If we do go stock for the year make and model this is how it would be , (1)305ci for all metric cars and 301ci in your case Howie (2)open rears only no clutch packs at all !! just a ring and pinion !! (3) single exhaust with a muffler and tail pipe !! (4) stock wheels and tires for the make of the car you drive, (5) No racing or after market cams at all , 19 or 20 inches of vacumm, (5) Stock intake and carb or fuel injection , (6) stock shocks & springs , no exceptions !!!!! (7) stock sway bars must be utilized. and if you come with some off the wall older car with a 455 in it you better be able to prove by serial number that it came in the car you wanna race !!! i think we all have a great set of rules in place now , and yes it will be tweaked as time goes on but for now the rules are the rules so make sure you are legal !!! and also remember if it says in the rules stock it means oem stock not stock style !!!!!!
    Last edited by Erin C; 01-24-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: had to delete something that made me angry...otherwise everything else is in tact as you wrote it.
    MR. RICK
    You Need

Over the counter overkill

You go down to your JASPER dealer, buy that VORTEC HEADED GM PRODUCTION motor and I will put it in my car and when I pass tech with the roller cam that goes in that PRODUCTION motor I will gladly buy it!.......
    I never said VORTEC heads were not a GM over the counter head.
    GM has lots of goodies OVER THE COUNTER , so that would be legal?.....
    As far my firebird, pontiac from 77-81 came with Pontiac, Chevy, and Olds(till 79) motors in them....
    DrD.......

all for it

I am all for what Rick just wrote--- Stock for year,make,model !!!!!!! isn't this what enduros are supposed to be ???
    and its EXACTLY what I race-- a 99% bonestock 1985 Monte carlo with a 305 motor and a 200 metric trans and an open rear
    best thing about it is that it is pretty damn competitive that way.. the ONLY thing changed is the distributor so I dont
    have the computer hooked up
    Works for me !!!
    MADDAWG
    417-14

Thread Information