Racerhub.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any wmt or mrs mods planning to run roc 200 7/21 at oswego ?

Any wmt or mrs mods planning to run roc 200 7/21 at oswego ?

Just wondering ?

I don't think Preece is going

I heard Szegedy might, but then again I heard he's coming to Riverhead for the 77 lapper.

I heard Pennink might. Of the 3 , I'm guessing he might be the only one.

No facts here, just what I've heard.

last real roc was 1991.

Real RoC?????

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    last real roc was 1991.
    Worm - just because certain drivers choose not to run does not mean it is'nt the "real RoC". Andy Harpell has done an excellent job with the event, Oswego is a great facility that's getting even better, and the racing in the "200" has been good. 30 - 40 mods will qualify this Sat., and many of them are some of the top names in Modified racing: Hirschman, Hossfeld, the Leatys, Fidanza, Rudolph, Paulus, Putney, Hebing, Zeiner, Hanbury, throw in a WMT regular or 2 and you've got the makings of an awesome field. Give the race a chance - it's my favorite event of the year and I attend several WMT races annually.

1991 had about 100 modifieds try out for the 52 car field. Drivers from all over the northeast were at this event, and previous races there. Oswego, although a great race and track, can't compare to those Pocono races. The majority of racers, even as you mention above, are RoC/northern tier drivers. The great Race of Champions, as it was, is not that anymore unfortunately.
    Also notice the amount of different leaders:
    1991 RoC Pocono
    2011 RoC Oswego
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    www.TheChromeHorn.com | RGrodski@thechromehorn.com
    The RacerHub Network
    www.thechromehorn.com | www.longislandjam.com
    Old modifieds never die.........They just get updated.........

Quote Originally Posted by RGeeProductions View Post
    1991 had about 100 modifieds try out for the 52 car field. Drivers from all over the northeast were at this event, and previous races there. Oswego, although a great race and track, can't compare to those Pocono races. The majority of racers, even as you mention above, are RoC/northern tier drivers. The great Race of Champions, as it was, is not that anymore unfortunately.
    Also notice the amount of different leaders:
    1991 RoC Pocono
    2011 RoC Oswego
    Moving the race to Flemington is what took a lot of the lustre off of the RoC. The move to Oswego was just unable to recapture what had already been lost. Flemington was a great track, but it wasn't a neutral site since they raced mods there weekly. If you want proof, just look at who won those RoCs at the square.
    WMT: Where sk drivers go when they feel the need to wreck more expensive equipment.

"Those who are willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both."
    - Benjamin Franklin

WWRD? (What Would Richie Do?)

Quote Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
    Moving the race to Flemington is what took a lot of the lustre off of the RoC. The move to Oswego was just unable to recapture what had already been lost. Flemington was a great track, but it wasn't a neutral site since they raced mods there weekly. If you want proof, just look at who won those RoCs at the square.
    Yup, agree with that...
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    The RacerHub Network

The ROC died in 1992. Harpell is a joke and the race is now a joke.

The ROC Died a long time ago. Thats not to say the Oswego 200 is not a good race, but when the field this saturday at Riverhead for a race paying about 1500 to win is superior to the ROC Field, well, thats just sad. The Greatest 10 Sporting events I have seen in my lifetime were the 1982-1991 ROC's at Pocono. I pray that someday, somehow, I shall see something even close to that.
    I Love The Modifieds!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teds Race Tours View Post
    The ROC Died a long time ago. Thats not to say the Oswego 200 is not a good race, but when the field this saturday at Riverhead for a race paying about 1500 to win is superior to the ROC Field, well, thats just sad. The Greatest 10 Sporting events I have seen in my lifetime were the 1982-1991 ROC's at Pocono. I pray that someday, somehow, I shall see something even close to that.
    Pocono is in talks to have the INDY cars race there in 2013, if that's any consolation!!!

I don't see a lot of support from the Tour guys or MRS. Official finish from ROC web site. Does anyone know if they sent cars home or did they start everybody?

1. (60) Matt Hirschman
    2. (22) Chuck Hossfeld
    3. (71) Jimmy Zacharias
    4. (51p) Erick Rudolph
    5. (6) Jan Leaty
    6. (3) Daren Scherer
    7. (5) Kyle Ebersole
    8. (29) Zane Zeiner
    9. (50) Terry Cheetham
    10. (51) Wilbur Hebing
    11. (14) Doug Reaume
    12. (72) T.J. Potrzebowski
    13. (07) Patrick Emerling
    14. (8) Earl Paules
    15. (62) Tony Hanbury
    16. (59) Karl Hehr
    17. (27) Andy Walko
    18. (34) Rusty Smith
    19. (69) Tommy Cloce
    20. (16) J.R. Kent
    21. (47) Jim Storace
    22. (31) Nick Barzee
    23. (88) Billy Putney
    24. (25r) John Ramsey
    25. (44) Sege Fidanza
    26. (0) Randall Richards
    27. (98) Matt Wentz
    28. (65) Andy Lewis
    29. (10) Daryl Lewis, Jr.
    30. (4) Kris Meyn
    31. (1) Matt Clemens
    32. (77) T.J. Zacharias

From what I heard, that was it. Hopefully a story by later today..
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    The RacerHub Network

Congrats to Matty Hirschman and the #60 team. I was with you in spirit! And text messages received at Riverhead Raceway!!

I was there and it was a decent race not great. First before you crap on the ROC 200 true it is not the ROC of years past. Nothing is. Where is the Thompson 300?

Does the Spring Sizzler still have the sizzle of the original? WMT lovers don't need to lecture anybody about dwindling car counts so give it a rest. Mod counts are

down everywhere and that is a problem. Oswego is waaay down my list of favorite places but it is about the only place left to hold this event. The day was

perfect weatherwise and the back grandstand is the only place in the racing world where you can bring a law chair into the stands. The best place to watch

racing at the Steel Palace. Matt set fast time and drew the fourth stating spot. Got the lead on lap 3 and lead until he (short) pitted for his tires around lap 60

something I believe. After the field cycled thru their stops Matt regained the lead and had to hold off a hard charging Chuck Hossfeld to grab his fourth ROC 200

win. A great finish it was. BTW, there were no halfway breaks, competition yellows or multiple day investments that make the WMT so much better than the rest

but Andy tries.
    the ROC rules!! / Pacin ain't Racin
    " honey!! I can't sleep, turn on the CUP race will ya?"

People get too wrapped up in the name. Its not 1972 anymore. That's understood. This is still a big event on the ROC Tour. 32 cars in the pits. big purse, and lap money. Nothing wrong with that on a Saturday night in July.

I think you can still bring lawn chairs to Seekonk also.

Thread Information