Racerhub.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: It's Time To Put An End To The SK

It's Time To Put An End To The SK

It's time to change the landscape of Modified Racing for the better for all Racers, Tracks and Modified Tours.

It's time for Stafford, Waterford and Thompson to put the SK Modified to bed. You now have the SK Lite with the 2 Barrel Carb. We do not need 2 so called Modified divisions with a 2 Barrel Carburetor.

The SK's that run today are nothing like the original SK that first appeared at Stafford. They have become very expensive, not inexpensive.

Lets put a 4 Barrel Intake and Carb on the SK and return them to Modified status. It's long over do.

If the 3 tracks I listed above turned over the SK so called Modified to a Modified status it would bring the Tour Modifieds and the headline division Modifieds closer together. Over a little time you eventually create your own Modifed Tour feeder system.

When the WMT comes to town the tracks would not run the headline weekly Modified division and some of the track Modifieds would run the WMT race on that night. On the Tour night the Tour race would also become a race for track points just like they do in PA with the 410 Sprint cars and the WoO Sprints when they come to town. You would automatically pick up cars for the Tour race. It would be the locals VS the WMT drivers and great for the race fans. Just like at Riverhead.

It works at Riverhead and it works in PA when the WoO Sprints come to town.

It works great for the WoO Sprints and all of the local tracks in PA.

It's time to move all of these so called Modified Race Cars to real Modified status.

Stafford, Waterford and Thompson would also pick more cars for the headline weekly Modified division and you will still have the SK Lites.

It's a win-win situation for all involved.

While I agree they are expensive, the SK races at Stafford are the most exciting and competitive division in the Northeast. Why kill a very healthy 25 car class?
    "A good racer is one whose head is in communication with his balls." - Richie Evans
    "There was only one place you'd find Cale Yarborough's name toward the back: The phone book." - Mike Joy

What to H--- have you been smoking? There is a lot more difference than just a 4 barrel intake & carb between an SK & a tour mod. I like the premiss of your plan but it is not quite that simple!
    Note: In the old days they ran the mods & sportsman together(usually big vs small blocks) & the PARK even had a 340 bonus for the smaller small blocks.
    Also some SK's with minor changes have run successfully at the Seekonk Open Shows.
    Last edited by RBH; 10-28-2013 at 08:47 PM.

It's time for Stafford, Waterford and Thompson to put the SK Modified to bed. You now have the SK Lite with the 2 Barrel Carb. We do not need 2 so called Modified divisions with a 2 Barrel Carburetor.
    .. or I would suggest that we don't need 3 Modified divisions; get rid of the tour and keep the healthier, less expensive divisions..

When the WMT comes to town the tracks would not run the headline weekly Modified division and some of the track Modifieds would run the WMT race on that night. On the Tour night the Tour race would also become a race for track points just like they do in PA with the 410 Sprint cars and the WoO Sprints when they come to town. You would automatically pick up cars for the Tour race. It would be the locals VS the WMT drivers and great for the race fans. Just like at Riverhead.
    ... or the WMT drivers filter into their respective areas, tracks of choice and go SK racing (psstt, it's really just Modified racing) - you'd get better parity throughout the area and WMT owners wouldn't have to pay through the nose for little rewards. You could actually get the same effect of tour cars invading the local track by.. (for example) say, a few former tour cars just showing up on a Sat night at Waterford and it'd still be great for the fans.. think open comp and freedom of choice.. too many siloed divisions of modified racing have not helped and it's now the WMT that is problem child here and is on the outside looking in. It's the lower divisions that are doing better and are better suited for this economy. The WMT? It's an aging, skeleton division that is designed to deplete it's competitors of their every nickel and dime. Would you invest in it?

Good question there.. if you could go racing on a 100k budget for the year, what would you do? Go tour racing or stay local in a non tour modified?..

whether they get rid of the sk or the tour, the one thing that they really need to do is herd the cats and get one type of modifed. Dont care if it's a tour type or sk, but theres so many differnt types of rules that it prohibits a higher nuumber of competitors. Something has to be done.... On another token, good to see VMS really doing well. I remember when this was just a bunch of disgruntled calremont modified guys, and they've done a nice job of putting together a good, simple product.

That should stir the pot up some.
    Pork Roll is very important to me. Please respect that.

2010 Touched Trio Top-5 Standings:
    Linda 1st 381 points
    Tbax 2nd 380 points
    Axel 3rd 327 points

2010 WAS NOT the same for Axel...

The Tour is shrinking and now the faithful are looking for a whipping boy (instead of a mirror). As mentioned the car counts are pretty good in SK

and there is no need to just up and dump them. The Tour isn't going to grow magically if you throw on a 4bbl carb and call it a Modified.

The full boogie Modified running weekly just isn't practical anymore (outside of Riverheads 20 cars).
    the ROC rules!! / Pacin ain't Racin
    " honey!! I can't sleep, turn on the CUP race will ya?"

sometimes riverhead had 10 cars

Lowest Riverhead was 11 twice.
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    www.TheChromeHorn.com | RGrodski@thechromehorn.com
    The RacerHub Network
    www.thechromehorn.com | www.longislandjam.com
    Old modifieds never die.........They just get updated.........

sorry i was off that much

one nite there were 9 cars there. eb jr jumped in eb3's car and so did mike ozwandy in jimmy z's car to up the car count. i know my spellin aint the greatest. brian

heats had more cars. than that in the old days

cashcad45

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    heats had more cars. than that in the old days
    I think you guys got it backwards. Staffod never had less than 20 S-K's(15 capable of winning) all year, so it seems to me they have the best formula for weekly open wheel racing and we should move in that direction.

whatever the answer its (tour or SK's) just make it simpler and more cost effective for Bob/Barb Racer to build a car and take it where they want. (Tour, Riverhead, stafford, Wall, Twin State etc)
    Pork Roll is very important to me. Please respect that.

2010 Touched Trio Top-5 Standings:
    Linda 1st 381 points
    Tbax 2nd 380 points
    Axel 3rd 327 points

2010 WAS NOT the same for Axel...

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    whatever the answer its (tour or SK's) just make it simpler and more cost effective for Bob/Barb Racer to build a car and take it where they want. (Tour, Riverhead, stafford, Wall, Twin State etc)
    Same rules for all tracks would help a lot.

I believe if you had all the modifieds in the world under the same rules you wouldnt get a large percentage of them to run the Nascar Tour. The issues are Nascar's licensing fee's, 2 day shows when it can easily be completed in one day, midweek shows, shows significantly out of the geographical area, and purse/point fund.

The SK's work for weekly racing, lets not mess them up by trying to change them to help a division on the decline.

Thread Information