Mahoning Valley Speedway completed its first weekend of Test and Tune that saw drivers across all six regular track classes as well as a number of touring groups make the best of the two day dust-off.

And, while this was indeed the ideal opportunity to shake down their rides in preparation of Opening Night on April 8, more importantly it served as the first test for the American Racer tires which is now the new official track tire, replacing Hoosier.

American Racer representatives Fred Woodward and Pat “Mick” McCombie were on hand throughout the day Saturday and made it a point to stop and talk with each team to help with questions and concerns.

It seemed in short order that much of the apprehension of running with the new brand quickly went by the wayside not long after a few laps by each driver were turned. The general consensus was all good.

“From the reaction we’ve gotten from everyone it’s what we’d had hoped for,” said Woodward.

“The guys seemed pretty pleased and I think the main thing that they we were really concerned about was stagger and I feel as though we got them what they were looking for. Most of what we heard is that our tires come in quicker than the previous brand. We wanted to make this an easy transition and so far so good.”

Austin Kochenash had his Gary Wentz owned No. 72 Modified on hand and despite running on a set of American Racer tires he ran with last season at Wyoming County International Speedway and had over 150 laps, he noted that there was still good grip.

“It was good and we along with everyone else just has to get used to them. You’re going to have to make a couple changes with set-ups but from what I can tell it will be fine,” said Kochenash, a two-time winner at Mahoning last season.

Frankie Althouse finished second to Late Model champion Mike Sweeney last year and put his tires to a hard test.

“Overall I was very pleased. We went out on a new set and we clocked in just as fast as last year’s times if not a little bit faster. The car felt really good on them and even after 50 laps they held up really well,” said Althouse.

“We actually limited the number of changes we did over the winter because of the new tires. They gripped well and we also got some good side bite.”

Dirt Modified standout Mike Stofflet only made one only one practice run but it was enough to satisfy him with the performance of the tires.

“It was good enough to put the car on the trailer after one round so I guess you could say the car was pretty good,” said Stofflet.

“I was concerned because the American Racer is a little softer with their compound on the sidewall so we just changed some pressures to compensate for that. What I really liked was how fast they came in and they seem to stick really well.”

2016 Street Stock champion Jon Moser was getting around the paved ¼-mile oval in swift fashion and like most others gave his approval.

“I was quite impressed and from what I saw from our laps the tire worked awesome. I think everyone will be real happy with them,” said Moser.

Hobby Stocks were out in full force and for many of the entry level racers they all liked how the American Racer’s handled.

“I really liked them. After about two-three laps they seemed to hook up right away. There was grip and bite each time off the corners,” said Ryan Berger, a two-time ’16 winner.

“The car felt great and they (tires) where hooking up and I was making some fast laps. I was getting great grip off the corners and it was pulling me right out of the turns nice. I really think the American Racer will be excellent in the Hobby Stocks.”

As of now there will be another day of Test and Tune on Sunday, April 1 from noon to 4:00 pm.

Opening Night follows six days later on Saturday, April 8 at 6:00 pm feature all six regular track classes which includes Modifieds, Late Models, Street Stocks, Dirt Mods, Pro 4s and Hobby Stocks.

For additional information log onto www.mahoningvalley-speedway.com or on Facebook at Mahoning Valley Speedway.

Dino Oberto