Racerhub.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Caraway SMRS season opener

Caraway SMRS season opener

Went to Caraway Sunday. As expected, it was a disappointing field of 14 cars, and that consisted of a couple travelers that won't make all shows, so we can expect 12 or 13 cars at each race this year, I suppose. Still, the cars there were mostly competitive, and tires kept the field close, so it turned out to be a pretty entertaining race.

Tim Brown apparently got hurt, but didn't seem to hit the wall too hard, and the car wasn't badly damaged. Anyone heard what was actually wrong with him?

Congrats to John Smith, too bad for Jason Myers, and hated to see Preece have problems, as he was really fast.

The 602 Super Series for limited late models ran, and the owner of that series is trying to start a crate series for modifieds. I think he has a desire to fail, personally, as I can't believe there are too many around here wanting to get into a modified. I just don't see it happening. They had 18 limiteds though, and put on a good show, so as crate models go, that seems to be a pretty good series.

Good to hear a first hand report from an unbiased source. I made the choice to catch the NWMT at the beach instead of Caraway. For once it sounds like I made the right choice.

A crate mod series...maybe if you could draw some that ran Ace and the few that Caraway had you could make a go of it. Who knows?

After 30 plus years of chasing modifieds around the south, I'm cutting back. I'll hit the few NWMT shows down here and a couple BGS shows. If the moon and stars align properly, a couple trips "up north" are doable. Throw in a couple dirt mod shows and I'll call it done.

It's a shame. NASCAR had the juice to make the southern series successful...they chose not to. I wish the new series well but it'll take some serious effort to make it work. For me it'll take more than 12 cars to get me on the road again.

Only 11 cars last week.

13 Friday at Caraway. Don't see any improvement coming. But there will be a full field at Bowman Gray Saturday night, running for little money and hoping to run 65 mph in front of 17,000 fans. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Mudcat View Post
    13 Friday at Caraway. Don't see any improvement coming. But there will be a full field at Bowman Gray Saturday night, running for little money and hoping to run 65 mph in front of 17,000 fans. Go figure.
    For many of the racers...and fans for that matter....it's 20 miles down the road, the cost of admission is cheap and someone can take a car that would be lucky to qualify at a Stafford SK race and win one of the inverted 25 lappers. It would take thousands to make some of those mods tour legal....and thousands more to make them run up front. Like it or not, it is what it is...and always will be. Bad as it is for me to say, I'd rather pay ten bucks to watch a BGS show than drive to Caraway, pay $20 and see 11 late models while listening to the virtues of the track's corn dogs over the PA system.

This whole southern mod deal has me disgusted beyond words and unless another Charles Kepley comes along it won't be getting any better.

Agree with all said, Racer1. I just read Randy Myers headed East to promote Southhampton (VA) speedway, so I guess he's out. Like him or not, he tried to run modifieds as much as possible.

To add one thing about BGS, the drivers are able to get sponsors there, considering the amount of fans that a company logo gets seen by, in addition to local news coverage. I can't blame the drivers, and you're right, it is better than Caraway. I think they had 5 late model stocks this past week or something like that. For me, I go to the extended events at BGS. Otherwise, I'll find a super late model race (CARS or PASS) or a dirt track (Elkin ain't that far away from King!).

Thread Information