Brian Schwarz 11 charger and spt
    R.I.P. Joe This 3rd one is for you!!!!!

www.superprotruck.com

BSG Motorsports #01 Blunderbust

2004-2005 and 2008 SPT Champs.

R.I.P. 03,7,66,93

Sam Lapiro LM in the 90's

Dave Xavier drove the 11x Charger for a while
    R.I.P Poppy. The best turn 3 beer man Riverhead Raceway has ever seen and the best grandfather anyone could ask for!Tony Mastrangelo 7-10-35 to 12-29-02 R.I.P. 03, 1, 7, 66, 93 rip wild bill

broz
    Going out on a limb here...
    Didn't Ray Hendrick run the #11 and if so, I'm thinking he ran on the "Island" at some point

Yes, Ray Hendrick did race at least once at Islip. It was the night before the big Trenton race, I'm guessing it was 1966 or '67. He finished second that night. He started in the rear and took the lead with about two laps to go, only to be re-passed by "Gentleman" Jim Hendrickson. I only remember this particular race because it was one of the greatest Modified races I've ever witnessed and the excitement of seeing the Flying 11 at Islip was just unbelievable. I do believe that Ray won the next day at Trenton, but that was nothing unusual. He was the King of Trenton, just like Dutch Hoag was the King of Langhorne.

They called him Mr. Modified
    http://www.vintagemodifieds.com/ray_hendrick/
    Last edited by Fat Albert; 04-05-2005 at 07:32 PM.

JP Gallagher-Street Stock #11
    Cynical Poet BB #11

" A Dollar and a Dream"

RIP JBIII

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!!

I don't know if anyone else can answer this or if the poet himself would have to respond, but was his Legends car also 11? And who says he's cynical? LOL
    Tracy Chirico
    LongIslandJam.com Editor-at-Large

www.longislandjam.com
    tchirico@longislandjam.com

RacerHub Network
    www.longislandjam.com | www.poconothunder.net | www.thechromehorn.com

Bethel Motor Speedway Business Operations Manager
    www.bethelmotorspeedway.com
    tracy.chirico@bethelmotorspeedway.com

Driver, #83 4/6 cylinder enduro truck

Jones44
    I thought it was 56? Or has it been that long since we've seen legends that my memory is that fuzzy? LOL

Wow, Jones, you have a good memory...the Legends was 56, then renumbered 45 when the Skunk drove it...

Almost forgot, Frank Saladino, #11 Modified, Freeport, Islip, Riverhead, the guy who took me to my first "Bigtime" race, the 1973 Spring Sizzler at Stafford...dont remember who won though, maybe Fred Desaro ?

Frank is a master at stretching a buck...the original reason for running #11 was he figured it was easy to paint...he qualified countless times at Freeport on Charlie J's throw-away tires...and if you're really up on your Freeport history from the 70's, there was an extra $100 in the purse for the first small block car over the finish line, which of course Frank won every week because he had the only small block...(a little off topic, but still related to my favorite number, 11).

Imperialblues
    Yeah, but after Charlie J. harpooned the 1st turn wall, Frank started taking the $100 again.
    Also, Al "AJ" Drescher Charger #11 at Freeport

Soooooooooo

SO FRANK SALADINO WAS THE FIRST RESPONSIBLE FOR BRINGING SMALL BLOCKS TO THE TRACK IN THAT ERA? ah i see was this the motor ?? i have attached ? below
    ALSO I FOUND OUT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH JUST NOW THAT THE # 11 WAS ALREADY BEING USED BY NONE OTHER THAN GEORGE WAGNER SO FRANK USED THE # 00 AND TOOK A BREAK FROM RACING AND WHEN HE CAME BACK CHUCKY HAD THE #11 ALREADY ..
    Life is shorter than you think. Don't be regretful for things that you could've, should've done. There's no time like the present. Just Do It!
    Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future and today is a Present! Tell some one that you Love Them.
    I wish I was 4 1/2 years old driving my quarter midget for the first time again.
    THERE ARE ALSO OTHER POLISH PEOPLE OUT THERE BESIDES ME

Hey Dan, I dont know about that engine picture you posted, the first car had a mustang (1964?) body... the second car had a vega body... the "other" guy in the picture with Frank took me to my first big time race... those are the two jokers responsible for my "addiction"... I think I might have pictures in my archives of the original car being built at the school...

Ok Dan, went through the archives, dug up a few pics... first one is an article from Newsday about the first school car... if you look real close you will see a young "Poet"... second one is a heat race win, fairly sure it's at Freeport...(around 74 or 75?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by originalpoet; 04-08-2005 at 11:46 AM.

The engine picture appears to be a 1965 or so SBC. Between the front oil fill, the left side alternator mount, top tank radiator, and the center dump exhaust manifolds, it dates itself fairly well. Single reservoir master and no power brake booster are a good indicator as well.

Thread Information