Thread: Big DQ in Busch

Big DQ in Busch

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Johnny Sauter's No. 1 Dodge was disqualified from Saturday's O'Reilly 300 after his car was found to have an illegal carburator in post-race inspection.

NASCAR said that Sauter's team, owned by James Finch, would not be included in the results and would not receive points or prize money.

NASCAR called the offense 'blatant'.
    "Strength and honor"

allhailunc
    Maybe now teams will think twice before resorting to those kind of lengths to run.This has been a long,long time coming

Jones44
    It's about time. I don't think they (NASCAR) are done penalizing those boys yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see some rather hefty fines and/or suspensions handed down as well.

Jimmy D.
    Then the 29 team in Cup should have been DQ'd a few weeks ago, also. What they did was just as blatant. Or, is this just a Busch thing?

It's a brilliant move. They can publicly appear to be cracking down on cheating, but by doing it to Johnny Sauter they really won't be angering any fans.
    Gary Silverman
    GSP Video

Jones44
    What the 29 did was going in to qualifying, and they were essentially DQ'ed, having their time trial speed disallowed, but thanks to NASCAR locking in the top 35, they just lined up at the rear of the field on race day (would have been the same thing if the old provisional system was still in place). The rule sucks the way it is, being that someone who doesn't post a time can race while someone who misses out by .001 goes home, but that's how it is....

4 race suspension

So,NASCAR handed out 4 a race suspension to the crew chief for starters.
    "Strength and honor"

Hey Jones, you say that others cheat and it isnt right. Some people have creative minds and view things in a diffrent light. I understand "intent" and "spirit of the rules", but if it is not written in stone, it is fair game. I'm pretty sure you had a diffErent opinion of a rule than perhaps a tech guy had over the years. Don't think that you have never broken any rules, because if you follow them to a "t", you would probably have a hard time being successful.
    Last edited by fastgal; 04-20-2005 at 07:45 AM.

allhailunc
    I see no mention of the word "cheat" in any of Jones's posts. I believe that he mentioned that teams were disqualified/docked/whatever due to obviously blatant attempts to "circumvent" the rules/system. We see it all the time(how many times have we heard "bulletin from the pits" over the PA system due to an infraction of the rules at Riverhead.) What makes the "big boys" different? If they get caught with their hands in the proverbial "cookie Jar", then they should be penalized. None of this "namby-pamby", 1 week suspension/25 pt/5000 dollar type fines-hit them where it truly hurts-take the points away & finishing order away and maybe, just maybe, they might think twice before doing it again.

someone screwed up....

I was watching the BUSCH/24 (whatever the name is) 'reality' series and they were interviewing someone regarding the carburetor incident. Apparently from what I caught, the Sauter team asked that the carburetor be checked to assure that they can use it. NASCAR said that it was race worthy,then post race inspection they deemed it very illegal. According to whom they interviewed, NASCAR fired some inspectors over the whole screwup.
    "Strength and honor"

Thread Information