Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: yaphank complex

yaphank complex

would like to hear what people think about the racing complex in Yaphank.Go to www.topgunse.com to find out the info.

From the sounds of it they are aiming high, but I remain skeptical of their plans.

3/4-mile racetrack? No road course? How about all the stranded SCCA guys on the Island? 3/4-mile, isn't that too big for weekly racing? I have some major issues with their focus. They are aiming for Cup and I feel they will be disappointed.

rocket

Smile Yaphank Track

3/8 mile inside the 3/4 for the weekly racers. Check ps3 post on their site, he seems to be the man.

Ok cool.

How about the road course though? I feel they could really make a killing catering to road racers around the country. Imports are really what's is of interest to the youth (16-24) and road racing caters to that.

BWR
    I'M all for it but......It will never get going.The people of this township will stop it .

allhailunc
    Like many things, it looks good on paper. Until ground is actually broken (being a Brookhaven resident for many, many years, I doubt it will happen) this is just another "pipe dream". I bet the West Side Stadium will be built and host the NY Jets in the Super Bowl before this idea ever hits the ground. But then again, we can hope & wish, but like my father used to say, "Wish in one hand & piss in the other, and see which one fills up first".

Now Walter,

tsk tsk......some of us in the "Hamptons" do like rough sports....
    Maybe not all of us but some of us....

It looks like they have spent quite a bit of money so far. Theres a petition everyone can sign on theIr website to show our support. Being I heard that PC Richard's is looking at the Riverhead property, we should all hope for something. No one will get a nascar sanction without the CromArty's blessing. Maybe this is all part of the big plan.
    Good Luck to TOPGUN.
    Support our Troops

Mike Fields
    I spoke this morning with Neil Rosenberg, the Vice President for Corporate Developement at Topgun. He was very impressed with the amount of people that came on to sign the on-line petition, as well as the amount of people that were directed to his site from the Jam.

He wanted me to encourage as many people as possible to log on to their site at www.TopGunse.com and sign that petition.

The only negative that he had was the amount of people that sent him messages stating that 'we've seen it all before". Of course I told him that you couldn't argue with statements such as those.

Neil and the people that he is working with, hope to have a "shovel in the dirt" (ground breaking) within 1 1/2 years.

Much of what he told me is off the record. However, the little bit that he allowed on the record I'll have in next week's column.

allhailunc
    Mike-I wish I could have your enthusiasm. However, that the whole area has been "designated" as a couple of things in the past, and they have all been "shot down" (talk about Top Gun- ). Call me the eternal Doubting Thomas, but knowing the area & knowing the politics that go on, I personally do not see this coming to light. Hopefully, I am wrong, but taking from past examples, I don't know.

jimmy'z

SCCA would be nice !
    I seriously hope (and knowing Long Island's reputation of squelching any semblance of public entertainment without a gratuitous handout to the local goverments ) that one day something will end up there.
    Imagine what the 'Head would do!? Lower entrance fees? Pave the parking lot?

On the topic of competition Jimmy,

It's not all that is is cracked up to be. Look at the Chemung-Tioga feud. You lost one track (Tioga is closing after this year), and Chemung nearly went bankrupt and had to be bailed out with a new owner. The Southern Tier of NY nearly lost all asphalt racing and that would have been a huge travesty considering many Cup racers such as the Bodines and Spencer came up through that area.

Be careful what you wish for. It's my hope that any new track on the Island works with existing race facilities so they can peacefully coexist. Is competition inevitable? Yes... However, when it gets out of hand, no one wins.

allhailunc
    Newsflash-if this "thing" ever does happen you can bet yer sweet bippy that Tanger will expand beyond your wildest dreams. 2 tracks that close by competing with each other. Hell-the Long Island public has a hard time sustaining the facility we already have, we don't need one that would, in all probability, close the "Head" down and wind up as another giant Parr Meadows.

I know that there are some who will believe it when they see it, but I know the Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy has said recently that he fully supports the building of a new auto racing facility on Long Island. Since this project is being proposed as a partnership with Suffolk County (much like Citbank Park in Islip for the Ducks baseball team), it may help clear a few of the tough hurdles to jump start this thing. It would be nice to see considering it seems that progress is closing in on the " 'Head", and as much as I hate to say it, I feel that time is getting shorter for the life span of the old place.

jimmy'z
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandJam
    Be careful what you wish for. It's my hope that any new track on the Island works with existing race facilities so they can peacefully coexist. Is competition inevitable? Yes... However, when it gets out of hand, no one wins.
    I'd be willing to wager that the losses from the Chemung - Tioga deal was due to a lot bigger issue than "my pond is nicer to swim in than yours".

Part of the problem ( and I feel this is VERY evident in Riverhead ) is mismanagement of their facilities and not catering to the masses.

(the following is opinion only )

Riverhead since my first days going there in the late 70's-Early 80's is that they're not looking to put on a show for their fans. They are drawing off the few big names that they can promote to an even smaller crowd.
    As an example at a track "across the pond"; take a look at Wild and Wacky Wednesday at Waterford. Look at the ticket prices and the cars entered.
    Blue Collar Racing for Blue Collar fans.
    It's all love of the sport and thrill of the ride; but when you're average Saturday night racer has to either dedicate all the funds to put a car on the track or sell it all to put food on the table; someone is missing something.
    What puts money in the pockets of the Owners/Promoters? Fans in the Seats.
    Riverhead is too busy trying to keep their big names pulling in the pit gates and not balancing costs by squeezing as many people in the seats on a Saturday Night or even a Sunday Afternoon.
    Demographically; Riverhead can afford to try out a Wednesday night fun show. The market is there.
    Sure; one can argue about how the tour used to come in on a Wednesday or Thursday night....but the drivers that come and race aren't known to the majority of the local fans there nor do they care to see one big race and some other odd race as a filler.
    I got a lot to speak on the subject; and coming from a family with relatives who are either racing now or going back 3 generations who have raced at Riverhead, Islip, and Freeport....I'd like to see a track on Long Island, even two.
    Speaking as a family man who had a child and the other costs to keep a roof voer my head I'd like to have my son know the fun of cheering on the local hero at the local track the way I would cheer my relatives on growing up.

They (Riverhead) just needs to re-hash their marketing strategy. They got the people to fill the seats. They just need to give the fans a reason to go.

Thread Information