Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Happy thoughts?

NEETS-1
    Maybe not my most memorable race but one that sticks in my mind was the week after this incident in the Street stock division at Penn Can Speedway. I was in second place, going under the first place car in turn 1 for the lead, when the 3rd place car hit me in the left rear, spinning me to the infield. I went to the back and worked my way back up to finish 6th with the little time left in the race.
    Well, the next week going into turn 1 was the leader...and guess who it was??? The same guy that spun me the week before. It seemed like I had hours to think about what I was going to do while staring at his 1/4 panel going into the turn. I did it...I hit him and spun him to the infield and went on to win the race.
    After the victory lane ceremonies, I pulled back to the pits and "he" came up to my car. I thought..."here's trouble". BUT, he shook my hand and said "a little payback, huh". I said "You bet" and that was it....and we raced hard together for years after that, side by side, with full respect for each other without another incident. Both of us finished 1 and 2...2 and 1 many times.
    The "he" in question was Billy Trego, who is still running Street Stocks up North and winning many events.

Thumbs up Enduro from DE

# 19 is ready to roll (hopefully not over) again for April, and no, it's not your first April fools joke. The kid loves that car.
    #19 J.W.

Well, good luck to him, Jen, Jamie, "Fluffy", and everyone else planning to attend the next race
    I find that your selfish mind is a place to hide when you know what you are doing is wrong

SmallCar18
    I'm going with my most bizarre enduro racing EXPerience.... This happened in my very first NEETS race. It was June 2003 and NEETS was making its first of 2 stops at MVS. I raced at MVS the night before, and won for my very first time, so I decided to leave the car/trailer there overnight to run again the next day and see what NEETS was all about.

It was a very beautiful, but extremely hot (90+ degrees) and humid day. I remember being concerned which would overheat first, the car or me . The race got underway and was going pretty good. We were about 20 or 30 laps into it, and I was racing side by side with our own announcer, Geno. I was so focused on him I never saw the official furiously waving the red flag on the "backstretch". Don't know how I didn't see him - from the looks of it, on the endurocam, I practically ran him over! Coming down the "frontstretch" I'm not sure which I saw first, the flag man waving the red, or the entire field of cars stopped going into turn one.

I hit the brakes and they immediately locked up. As I'm skidding to a stop, I see a NEETS official already on the track directly in front of me trying to get all of us stopped. I thought for sure I was going to hit him. Out of the corner of my eye, and this is the bizarre part, I see an old lady in a nightgown, I think she was also wearing slippers, using all her might to climb over the turn 1 wall onto the track! I only caught a glimpse of her for an instant as I was skidding past to a stop. I sat there for a moment in the now sweltering heat and I'm like "what the ^$#@^ was that"! Did I really see that? Am I suffering from heat exhaustion? I thought I was going crazy. I tried stretching around to see what was going on, but couldn't see anything. The ambulance came out and eventually left the track and the race resumed.

After the race, I asked around to see if I really was going crazy, or if I wasn't, to find out if the woman was OK. Apparently she had wandered through the woods and came upon the track. I'm assuming she had Alzheimers. My grandmother had it and I could've pictured her doing something like that. I guess in a way, it's good she wasn't very mobile anymore at that point.

Hey, I remember that!

LOL, how about it Kerry? Man, I bet that was definitely a first to throw the red Rumor has it that she heard I was running & figured she could beat me on foot

Speaking of heat exhaustion that day...uh, nevermind!!

winky417

aaah old memories.

One of my favorite memories was back in 1999, at MVS, I was racing my white Nova.(the original417) This was my first enduro race, I'm running good, and just passed this #10 car (the Tide car) going through turn 2, when all a sudden, "wham" I see the infield, the wall, and this Tide car passing me. I still have the picture from this incident on my rec. room wall. Well, then I realized what just happened and the MADDAWG in me came out. I floored the ol Nova, caught that Tide car and spun his a$$ out. Came around and did it again as he was coming off the wall. Well, that shot ended up putting a hole in the radiator and I ended up overheating. When I pulled into the pits, lots of people came up to my car, some clapped, some said what are you nuts, and some just looked at me like I was crazy. Then up came this guy, I won't mention his name, but he said buddy you better load up and get outta here before you get your a$$ kicked, you were messing with the wrong guy out there. This really had me worried, but the adrenaline was kickin. So like an idiot, I go find this guy! Well, let me tell ya's he was big, real big, I don't know, but like 6'4 275 lbs!!!!! Just guessing. I yelled at him "what the **** was that about?". And he did the same. Crowd starts gathering, and I'm starting to think how this is probably gonna hurt. We both calmed down and talked it out and he reaches out to shake my hand, says, "welcome to enduro's rookie". Lesson learned!! We shook hands and stood around talking for a while. Lonnie Behler, one of the nicest guys I've met at a race track. (till ya get on the track.) Story kind of ends like Billy's, we raced side by side, mostly me trying to catch him or wondering where did he come from, the rest of the season, without incident. Became friends, learned a lot following that Tide car, I don't know if I ever beat him, but sure had a lot of fun trying !!!! The following season we both won Championships, Lonnie in the 8cyls and me in the 4cyls.... Funny thing, we both forgot to thank our wives (stupid racecar drivers) during our speeches that night. I get reminded all the time, and I'm sure Vicki reminds Lonnie about that too !!!!! AHHH, memories, Not to worry, I thanked Jody when we got home and along came Jacob.

Thread Information