Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Count for 2006

VNYLGRFX

Car Count for 2006

What's it going to be this year on a regular Sat night car count for 2006?

I don't know...there are something like 10 Blunderbust cars currently listed for sale in the classifieds...

How many of the cars will actually sell and be out there with new drivers behind the wheel? How many guys will return in their unsold cars? And how many guys (who haven't listed their cars for sale) will sit on the cars for the season without bringing them out? Will any of the old cars that certain drivers still have reappear this year?

I wonder how many of us remember when they used to let the Blunderbusts run two consis any time there were 40 or more cars (and, man, there were more than a few weeks when that happened)...boy, would I love to see car counts like that again...
    Tracy Chirico
    LongIslandJam.com Editor-at-Large

www.longislandjam.com
    tchirico@longislandjam.com

RacerHub Network
    www.longislandjam.com | www.poconothunder.net | www.thechromehorn.com

Bethel Motor Speedway Business Operations Manager
    www.bethelmotorspeedway.com
    tracy.chirico@bethelmotorspeedway.com

Driver, #83 4/6 cylinder enduro truck

VNYLGRFX
    I remember The thirty or forty cars on a regular Sat night...This is when you had to "fight" to get into the Feature event.... Not like last year.
    I remember when I was a rookie back in "99", I only made a handful of
    Feature Events.. It's a shame to see barely twenty five racecars in this division.
    Who knows for the upcoming season

maybe if drivers and crews were treated with some respect you would have more cars in all classes

Those Were The Good Days! My First Year Was 97, I Bought A 67 Caddy Bb From A Guy Named Dusty Rhodes In Riverhead. He Told Me $2500 Takes The Car. I Offered Him Six Hundred And With A Glass Of Straight Whiskey In His Hand, He Said, " Take It". I Only Qualified 3 Times That Year. There Were Something Like 10 To 15 Guys Going Home Every Week. Car Counts Were Way Up Back Then. There Are a lot Of People That Just Are Not Interested In Racing At Riverhead Anymore for Whatever Reasons!! I'm Going To Try My Hand At Mountain This Year. I Had Some Really Good Experiences There A Few Weeks Back, So That Did It For Me.
    Last edited by wayne; 01-22-2006 at 08:07 AM.
    41,Mrs 41,42,43

I think that the low car count can be blamed for the rising costs of the division. Theres too much of a gap from the big dogs who have lots of funding and the low budget racers. I remember when the blunderbust races were capable of being won by at least 15 different drivers. I'd love the blunderbust to go back to the "entry" level status. Also people don't like to pay top dollar for their equipment, just to get wrecked by some bonehead who plows his way through the field and wrecks you.
    Rob Bader Jr.
    19 BLUNDERBUST

Well Said, And In My Opinion Only One Or Two Of The Many Reasons Why People Are Not Racing Or Showing Up In The Stands There.
    41,Mrs 41,42,43

Yeah, VNYLGRFX, back in the good old days when you worried about making it through the heat race...after that, the feature was a cakewalk! Man, did the guys sweat when they had to run a consi, because if there were two consis you were one of nine or more guys going for two spots (though that was better than before they split the consis...when you were one of 19 or more guys going for four starting spots in a 10-lap consi...the consi was more of a "B" feature than a qualifying race). Heats and consis certainly were nail-biters back then. I can't tell you how shocked I was when - I think it was the second or third week of the season in 2005 - I was camping and called a friend of mine at the track to find out how things were going and I heard that there wasn't even a full Blunderbust field!

Whatever the reason, it's just a shame there are so few cars out there. It's "Silly Season" now, so the rumors are abundant, but I've heard rumblings of a few drivers who are planning to either "hang it up" (so to speak) or only run a limited schedule. It really is a shame for you guys...for a long time, I've thought that the Blunderbusts put on some of the best and most exciting shows (and, no, that's not just because I'm biased...ha ha).
    Last edited by Tracy87BB; 01-21-2006 at 09:13 PM.
    Tracy Chirico
    LongIslandJam.com Editor-at-Large

www.longislandjam.com
    tchirico@longislandjam.com

RacerHub Network
    www.longislandjam.com | www.poconothunder.net | www.thechromehorn.com

Bethel Motor Speedway Business Operations Manager
    www.bethelmotorspeedway.com
    tracy.chirico@bethelmotorspeedway.com

Driver, #83 4/6 cylinder enduro truck

There were weeks when you ran your "good" tires in the heat just to make sure you qualified. You would never take a chance of not qualifying by using your older tires some weeks. Who knows, maybe the division will make a turn around this year. I, for one, am looking forward to the first green flag this year, no matter how many cars are there.

" A Dollar and a Dream"

RIP JBIII

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!!

VNYLGRFX
    Nice to see some old faces late last year hint, hint... Wheel
    and to the guy moving on.. Wayne
    Good Luck, it was a pleasure running with you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VNYLGRFX
    Nice to see some old faces late last year hint, hint... Wheel
    This year one of those old faces will become a regular face again!

" A Dollar and a Dream"

RIP JBIII

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!!

My pit chief from last year, Dennis, bought the #35 car, so we've got another new guy.
    " THE CROWN PRINCE OF TROUBLE "

my 2 cents

As long as it stays affordable, you will have good fields. The rules introduced over the winter are not pointing in that direction, which IMO is unfortunate. Granted you will always have the few who wish to be the big fish in the small pond and have the cubic dollars to do so. Regardless I hope to see bigger fields this season as the BB's are still one of the more entertaining divisions.

"Silly Season"

Good to hear #16,#53, #17,#35 (new) coming back....sorry to hear#42 going to another place to race , good luck Wayne, by the way....you were a pleasure to race with....I will be racing next year for sure (picked up a new assoc. sponsor, details to follow as soon as we ink it). So to close for now #1 will be back, as of right now not sure about #27. We have a new chassis for him, but if we can't get it done, he might run a limited schedule. Anyone else coming back for sure? See you soon.....Artie P.
    Always keep smiling !!!!!!!!!!

Affordable?

Art11758, I personally feel that if you do your homework and get a couple of sponsors and are NOT! cheating, it is affordable to race in this division and be very competitive..........I mean, if you have illegal heads or other things done to your engine, or msd boxes, brake controllers, soaking your tires, or anything that can cost a lot of extra $, then it might not be affordable. However, if you stick to the rules the best you can without breaking them, you can do it.
    Always keep smiling !!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information