Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more knowledge needed -- freeze plug (I think)

rcp_ny

more knowledge needed -- freeze plug (I think)

Hi, I've discovered my car has a water leak, and it's coming out of a round hole about half-dollar size... I assume this is a freeze plug? Anyway, I found the plug, so my question is:

What's the proper way to put it back in? Does mere snugness hold it in place, or do I need to use some sort of high-temp epoxy or something?

Thanks,

Freeze plugs are generally held in by the pressure of the tight fit they should have. Clean out the opening (lightly sand the opening to clean it), get a new one, and put it in straight, tapping with a hammer. Epoxy would defeat it's function, which is to slide out under extreme pressure, as when your coolant freezes.
    Good luck, work carefully.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

spier racing 93
    There is no such thing as a "freeze plug," it is actually called a "core plug." Use a hammer and a punch to get the old one out. Clean the opening lightly with sandpaper. Apply a THIN coat of Permatex #1 Hardening Sealant around the contact points of the new core plug and the opening. You can NEVER use a silicone based sealant for a core plug, or you will have MAJOR problems.

That is how we do every engine in tech school.

Correction: They are called "Freeze Out Plugs"..All above replacements are correct...
    ..Richie Grodski
    TheChromeHorn.com
    www.TheChromeHorn.com | RGrodski@thechromehorn.com
    The RacerHub Network
    www.thechromehorn.com | www.longislandjam.com
    Old modifieds never die.........They just get updated.........

Rich Johnson
    I would like to add...
    Using a socket that fits into the plug helps to drive the plug in straight.
    There is a special tool, If you have that option.
    Look for cracks running along the block.
    Good luck.

RACINRICH

I agree with racinrich on this. Check all the other freeze plugs too. After you get them in, run the motor good and hot and check for bubbles in the radiator and check the oil for water. A lot of times the block cracks before the plugs pop out.
    pappywrench@yahoo.com for
    2nd Childhood Racing

pitbull113
    When you go to the parts store, don't get talked into the rubber plugs with the washer and bolt. IMO, they suck.

rcp_ny

thanks everyone

Even looks like a warm weekend coming to work on it!

Technically: According to Labor Guide: They are called "Expansion Plugs"

spier racing 93
    They dont expand at all though...They seal the engine core.

I've always been told they were called freeze out plugs but ....I say tomato you say tomahto.
    R.I.P Poppy. The best turn 3 beer man Riverhead Raceway has ever seen and the best grandfather anyone could ask for!Tony Mastrangelo 7-10-35 to 12-29-02 R.I.P. 03, 1, 7, 66, 93 rip wild bill

I've always heard "freeze out" plugs too...but everytime I have to price out a job, I have to look up "expansion" plugs, go figure...but as long as you find a good parts guy/gal, they will know what the "heck" you want....

Hmm, expansion...They would let the ice expand out of your frozen block, instead of cracking it, so I guess expansion is a good term, too.
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

Hey what can I tell you...probably some College type engineer that never even looked at an engine gave it that name...

And there you have it folks!!!! The history of the water hole opening things in your engine block.

Thread Information