Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Somthing to think about SAFETY IDEA

my side of it

Yeah, the scanners would work, we tried this in the start of Neets and it was more of a hassle.
    As far as the drivers go, they need to pay attention to the lights and me, the flagger, neither of which came out. I do agree it was a stupid idea to jump on the track, but I figured they would notice that and they weren't going that fast yet so, that's why I did it. I wasn't really thinking, but we can try the scanner idea again to see if it could work.
    Matt
    Neets official/ head flagger
    Driver/owner redneck racing enterprise #32
    www.RRE32.com
    www.redneckracingenterprise.bravehost.com

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get them little red or yellow lights to mount on the dash of our cars that will turn on if the track lights go on? I notice they do that on indy cars and the lower ranked racing like Hooters pro cup and the Mods. The drivers would have to rent them race to race along with the transponders for a small fee of $5 or $10. Just another idea being thrown on the table.
    I find that your selfish mind is a place to hide when you know what you are doing is wrong

Those red and yellow lights are radio controlled, meaning each car would need a radio receiver and other electroninc equipment for them to work. Scanners would be cheaper, paying attention costs NOTHING, but the result of doing so is PRICELESS!
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

racenut38
    Scanners would be great, but don't make them mandatory. Hey Mat, don't forget, you're not Superman, lol.

ststock23

Another thought

How about a strong enforcement of the no passing once the red/yellow comes out. Start penalizing the "not paying attention" drivers a lap for each car they pass. Of course there would have to be some subjectivity to it. Don't want everyone locking them up when the red comes out, just don't pass anyone.

ststock23, when the red flies, everyone that is in the tower (registration tower) watches for anyone passing others under the red and it is written in my big purple notebook. They are then either put back to where they should be or they are penalized 3 laps for the pass. (Usually they are just put back to where they should be, if that happens, then they don't get the 3 lap penalty, it's either one way or the other, not both.) Hope that helps!

ststock23
    I wasn't questioning the enforcement of the existing rule. I was suggesting a new, tougher rule. What does "putting them back in their place" accomplish, in terms of safety? It's kinda like most rule/law infractions, the weaker the penalty, the more likely the infraction. Please understand, I'm not complaining. I know the people in the tower do a great job. Everyone is talking about buying new equipment for safety. The beauty of NEETS is the low expense. If there is a way to solve the issue without expense....

Quote Originally Posted by ststock23
    If there is a way to solve the issue without expense....
    EXACTLY!!!
    Where did everyone go????
    www.myracenews.com also with a Facebook page!

J & J Racing 41
    The scanner idea only works if 100% of drivers have them, because cars with them would start stopping sooner than ones without. Another thing to think about is what if the guys at the front of the pack had been looking in their mirror when Matt jumped out. There could have very well hit him. I don't see the need for mirrors in these cars, and 100% of focus should be out the front window. Just my 41 cents worth .....

SLYFOX26
    The scanners will also aid in lining the cars up, warning drivers that are rough riding. The biggest thing would be everyone would know there is a red flag, so there would be no excuse for any cars going a half lap or more when the red came out, or getting blasted from behind because some one didn't see it.

Anyone can pick up a cheap scanner at Walmart, Radio Shack, or my favorite, EBAY. On EBAY, you can find them from $15 and up.
    [B][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Verdana]Ryan Nelson
    Driver of NEETS 4cyl #131
    Firefighter/EMT/Rescue tech.
    Security Officer
    www.nelsonracing131.webs.com

No Scanners

More money, another thing to break/fail, another tech item; sounds like a lot for something that hasn't worked before and has little chance of working this time.
    Bob Kulik
    Kulik Racing

danielleallen89
    Well, jumping out on the track, for one, definitely wasn't too smart of an idea. No matter what. The whole lights thing. It's not too easy to see those lights when the sun is glaring. The flags are there to be waved around to get your attention. It's not like we're driving on a highway paying attention to the traffic lights. I think scanners would be a big help, but not everyone has the cash for them.

Phil Levering

Unaware ????

I am not quite sure how a racer can be unaware on the track!

If you want to see the checkered flag at the end, you HAVE to be totally aware of what's happening all around you.

Phil Levering 20 year Enduro veteran

Thread Information