Thread: 1974 World Championship Demo Derby Tape Wanted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1974 World Championship Demo Derby Tape Wanted

Here's a e-mail I got from one of our visitors:

This is a long shot but I am trying to find somebody that can help me track down a copy of the World Championship Demo Derby at Islip Speedway that was televised on Wide World of Sports. I can not remember how many World Championship Demo Derbies were covered by Wide World of Sports, but from what I can tell searching the internet, there was at least one in 1974. My father drove in that derby and did advance to the final round. He is now almost 70 and living in Florida. I tried sending several emails to ABC but never got any responses. I would love to get a copy of it for him. Any help would be appreciated.

I can remember when my father brought the car home for the derby to be prepped. All the kids in the neighborhood came over and had a blast tearing everything off the car, punching holes through the doors for the chains, busting out the windows, cutting fire holes in the hood, etc. It was something that the average kid did not get to do everyday, at least legally. LOL!!

Please email me at G046641@verizon.net if you can be of assistance.

Thanks.

Dan C

Tampa, FL

Garfield

Elated You da man!!

J.A.

Thanks for helping me get set up. I hope we get some hits on the demo derby tape.

Garfield

I also tried a couple of years ago to email a.b.c. about ANY demo footage they had and also never got a response.If you have any luck please post about it.

Garfield
    I have a few friends that work for other broadcast companies. I will be checking with them for any ideas on how to approach ABC. I will be happy to share any information I can find. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Garfield

How many "World Championship" Demo Derbies?

Can anybody tell me:

1. How many "World Championship" demo derbies were held at Islip Speedway and what years?

2. How many of them were covered by Wide World of Sports and what years? I know of at least one that I was at. I don't know if ABC covered more than one. I can also only estimate the year. (The 1970's is very sketchy in places ).

If I ever find a contact in ABC, this information may help me tell them what I want in regards to Islip Speedway demo footage.

Thanks.

Garfield

JJT

ABC and Figure 8

I have tried to contact ABC Sports and ESPN , and I too, like many others, was very disappointed as to their response. I would think that this is something that they could put on ESPN Classic. The demo derby and the figure 8 were shown in the late 60's and the early 70's. I have asked for help on this issue also. GOOD LUCK

Thread Information