Thread: Al DeAngelo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mod134

Al DeAngelo

I was recently researching Al DeAngelo. I've read the he is the all-time winner at Islip Speedway and according to the records at LIJ, was a 6-time Islip Mod champ (1949-50, 1953-54, 1959, 1963).

My question is: I found the records for an Al DeAngelo from Kings, NY. The birthday is March 10, 1902 and the deathdate is June 1982. Is this the same Al DeAngelo that dominated LI tracks in the 50s?

Yes, I do believe that that is "The" Al DeAngelo, the all time feature winner leader at Islip. But to be sure contact Marty Himes at The Himes Museum. He will have all the information you need.

I'd have to agree that is "The" Al DeAngelo. The Kings part probably would be Kings County, which is Brooklyn. I would guess Al was born in Brooklyn.

Rick

Mod134
    Thanks guys for your help. I never realized that he was still winning at Islip into his early 60s .

Captain History
    Al was still racing around in the early 1970s.

He was referring to Al's age as being early 60's

OTIS RATBONE

Al Deangelo Sr

I Have The Drivers Door From Al Deangelo Sr's Modified When He Drove For Cheap Mikes In Richmond Hill,i Will Get Back With The Car Number Soon,it Is Blue And Yellow.

Dwight Clock
    Al DeAngelo died around 1982 but he was nowhere near 80 when he died. He was in his sixties.

Same Al DeAngelo!

In fact my father (Don Anderson #171, Non-Ford) raced against him at Dexter Park & Freeport Stadium in 1952 & 53. Attached is just one of the race results clips from back then. He also placed 2nd to Axel Anderson on another occasion. Great memories!!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DeAngelo win, Don Anderson 2nd.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	2699

Thread Information