Thread: 1972 Riverhead Modified #AOK Drivers?

Captain History

1972 Riverhead Modified #AOK Drivers?

I know John Berkowski owned it and Junior Ambrose had 1970 appearances in it. I have a 1972 picture of the #AOK Modified with a "Ronnie" on the roof that I'm trying to identify......

Thumbs up

That would be Ronnie Gilliam from Bridgehampton/Easthampton. That was a coupe. He took one of the hardest hits in turn one wall that I've ever seen. He drove for his brother Ray after they bought the car from Bernard Sadowski and Quint Evans. Bernie and Quint worked for Hull Chevy in Southampton hence the AOK (used cars). Bernie and Quint also had a sedan also numbered AOK driven by Frank 'Mississippi' Curtis. That crew was one of the first in Riverhead to have uniforms. Pink shirt, white pants with a pink stripe down the side of each leg.
    Last edited by Richie; 09-01-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Memory Bank withdrawal...........

OK My husband worked overtime on his memory bank and came up with this...........The car was built by John Berkoski. Bernard and Quint bought it and John drove it at Riverhead. Then Joey Krukowski from Southold drove it at Riverhead. It was white, with red numbers, and Sippy drove the sedan at Riverhead and then at Islip. Joey went to drive for John Ambrose in the 7-11 Mod. That car was painted lilac and was also used by Sippy on dirt and at Westhampton. The car was wrecked at Malta and after it was rebuilt it was driven by Ronnie at Riverhead. When the team sold out it was bought by Ray, Ronnie, & Morley Gilliam.The brothers were the crew from the AOK.
    The sedan was bought by Hank Passett & John Ambrose. Painted black & gold, it was the #11 and still driven by Sippy. After that, Sippy drove for Hank Passett in an old Charlie J. coupe. Cliff Tyler used the Aok coupe to run Langhorne for one year. The car stayed lilac, with white doors, the #21.
    The car is up North now, in the Conn., Mass. area used for nostalgia racing.
    Wow Richie, you have been around for a long time, huh? You must be using the right skin cream!
    VICKI

Cool

You think I'm old, you should see the old woman that puts the lotion on me. Ask Frankie where the lilac paint came from.

R-u- sure ??

Hey Rich, I know is was a long time ago, but I'm not exactly sure where it came from. The sedan was painted first lilac & satin black, with lilac chassis. Dave Hawke drove the AOK jr in the F-8's for Gary Cretty that was lilac also. The coupe was painted when Joey moved on.. I have pics of the mods through those years if you want some ..even the first AOK- sportsman they bought from Mousey that was Chum's first mod coupe.... P.S. (You're only as old as the cream makes you feel!!!!) so I hear..
    VICKI

Wink

There was not enough paint in one can on the shelf to paint the car, so they put them all together and voila, lilac.

Thread Information