Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rims and Tires

Radiators

Its real simple, if you can't get the car to run cool with a radiator in the stock location then something is wrong. There is absolutely no reason to have it in the car. Figure out whats wrong and fix it. Have had my radiator punched by rocks 3 times last year twice while i was leading. Did that mean i had to move rad no just address the issue and move on. No matter how secure your radiator is in the drivers compartment all it takes is that one time when you wind up with second degree burns. Wish everyone the best and can't wait to get back out there.

I would love to explain to you how there is nothing wrong with the motor or cooling system in the 132. It might be a V8 but its not the same cooling system as a traditional v8. But I'm sure the conversation will be lost in the muck of people not knowing what they are talking about. The RCR team has always played by the rules so if Rick says it has to go we will find another way to cool the motor. Good luck to all tomorrow!! See ya there

Elated ...

Lost in the muck... no doubt there.

Hazards and health...

The second radiator works great as a way to enhance the car's ability to cool the engine WHILE STILL BEING A SINGLE LINE SYSTEM. The single line aspect is key here since it does eliminate the "advantage" that drivers would be able to smash other cars without worrying about their cooling system getting the short end of the stick...there's your HEALTH...

Now for the HAZARD....some drivers are enlightened when they see one person running this setup, so they attempt it. Without specific rules in our rule books, they can do many wrong things...
    1. Change it from single line system to a dual....or just run the interior radiator only and fill the front one with water for appearances...
    2. Improper installation puts a STEAMING hot radiator inches away from a driver...
    3. Improperly installed again, causing drivers of other vehicles to get sprayed with hot water from your car...
    4. Wost of all, something can go wrong at the worst possible moment when a track worker or official accidentally leans onto it or bumps it open....

The negatives OUT WAY the positive by a long stretch....

IF we are going to allow the use of a 2nd/interior radiator, it will be decided ONLY at the rules meeting at the end of the season and we will release a whole new set of rules for design.

The removal of bumpers is out...no way, no how. Drivers would get the flag IF they were dragging the bumper and could return racing with none, but if there were javelins on the front of the car after an incident on the track...the car would be done racing.

The attempt to install/permit secondary or additional cooling methods is simply and ONLY to extend the vehicle's life...no racing advantage is to be gained by the driver and IF the Tech Official believes that an advantage is being created expressly by a driver's installation method, it will have to be removed.

Last but not least...the rollover with the radiator inside....this was the first driver who installed a system like such and as you can tell from the abuse it went through, it held up....yet there are still MANY safety upgrades I would want to see in place before I would just say "Yeah, that's fine..."
    ________Joe the Photo Guy
    {_NEETS_}_____________www.neetsracing.com
    Co-Promoter____________Email: joe@neetsracing.com
    Webmaster_____________Cell#: 267-767-4923
    Photographer ___________Nextel: 168*153450*1

I agree!

There is always room for improvement! I couldnt agree with joe anymore. I hope everyone has a great day at the track today and I wish the best of luck to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Philter39 View Post
    Funny Rick brought up rims. Linsey has bent enough rims now that I bought a replacement rim and Wrecking ball Rummel promptly broke it. After closer comparisonto the rims we had been using the material is .15 " on new and .18 " thick on the old durable rims. This brings me to ask where other are buying rims. I need the 100mm X 4 bolt pattern. phil

Phil, make sure you are getting Dodge rims and not Chevy rims. The steel wheels look ALMOST identical, but the Dodge wheels are heavier. I've got a few Chevy rims, but will only run them on the left rear.

Classy!

I just wanted to thank both rgarner and rcr for there responses as being very classy and not trying to get in a pissing match on the forum. It shows the high quality of people we have here even when we disagree. Have a great day and happy racing! Rick

Thanks for the kind words Rick. Same to you

Why, why, why????

Why is this topic about a second radiator even being addressed. Rules state that cars must be completely stock. What car comes with a radiator in the drivers compartment??? I was at the rules meeting, and drew ott himself told everyone at the rules meeting that he could not keep his car cool that is why he has this system in place. So garner's statement about nothing being wrong with the 312's cooling system is false. Why even run this system if nothing is wrong with the single radiator sysem. Drew runs a cop car with a ls1 engine, the police run and abuse those same cars everyday and they do not overheat. I do not want to throw drew under the bus, but this system is not safe. Yes it might have worked once, maybe twice, but what happens when drew's car is sitting sideways drivers door away from traffic, and joe continues the race instead of doing the right thing, and drew's car gets plowed in the rear at that radiator. I have nothing against drew, i have nothing to gain by even posting, but i personally, and drew family would not like to see drew burned by boiling water. I have seen people burned in car crashes, ( it goes with the business ), and it is a life altering experience. Sorry drew i was against it in the beginning, and will always be against it. There is no changing my mind. I know you can figure it out and get it right. If you need help, just ask, there are alot of knowledgable drivers besides myself that could direct you to the answers you seek. # 70

Ok.. I agree with not seeing Drew get burnt. Without getting into to much technical stuff on a public forum. The motor in the car is a lt1 not an ls1. Which are known to have cooling problems from the factory. One of the reasons is the reverse cooling system that they use. Also there is not one other car out there with that set up that runs it as hard as Drew does. (Proud of you buddy ) There are other ways to cool that car but this set up worked and it went through tech. As I stated before if Rick and the techs will not allow the second radiator we will find another way to cool the 132. Happy Racing to all!!

Wink Degree of Difficulty...............................

PM me! I might have a few cooling suggestions for ya.......................
    UNCLE PETEY....................

Thread Information